The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A local dealer (SVAG, in CA) had their leather supplier make up a sample of a leather covered center console. He used different colors and types of leather to show what sort of possibilities there are, here are some pics:

As you can see, different colors are an option, as is perforated leather. The design uses the stock shifter boot. They'll be adding some thin foam under the leather on future ones to better hide the seams (note they slightly bulge right now). The "cupholder" is unchanged.

It's similar to the one talked about in this thread, but with a little more interesting design.

They're still working out pricing with their supplier, but to get the cost down, they're hoping to be able to arrange a group buy. My hope is that we could get them down to $300, but it'd probably end up being more like $400. I don't know for sure at this point, we need an idea of how many people would be interested.

(disclaimer - I have no affiliation with the dealer, I just want to get a good deal on this for my own car)

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Seems a bit overdone to me, I kind of like the simplicity of bare or painted, but maybe that's because I just popped for painting.;)
Chris

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
I don't think this is what Mr. Colin Chapman had in mind... but hey, what ever floats your boat...

Neil

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Little Bastard said:
I don't think this is what Mr. Colin Chapman had in mind... but hey, what ever floats your boat...
Yea, what Neil said.

My center console will remain just as it left the factory. I like the "aluminum" look. It goes with the rest of the car.;)

You could get the price down to $0, and mine would stay original...

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
Little Bastard said:

Neil
Damn, what the hell is that leather doing on my seats then? :huh: :D

Well at least Colin Chapman had an MP3 radio in mind. :p

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
1FASTMX5 said:
Nah... Colin didn't even put a radio in my '72 Elan...:p
But I did...:no:

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
1FASTMX5 said:
Damn, what the hell is that leather doing on my seats then? :huh: :D

I am guessing you got the touring package, power windows and all... ;)

I wasn't trying to be insulting, it just wasn't to my taste... bling, bling and a diamond ring... :D What's next... cup holders.

Neil

·
Registered
5,165 Posts
I suppose you have the right to say that if you go the perry route and take out the radio, A/C, etc...but we'll see what you do Neil.

I think Lotus should have offered that dark saddle tan from the start instead of biscuit. You listening Clyde? :p

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
Speaking of the Chapman philosophy...

Lotus should make a car that is nothing but frame, suspension, and drivetrain. No doors, no shell, nothing but what's needed to move it. No seats, even... you can sit on the floorpans, damnit!

The can call it the Chap-Stick :D

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Little Bastard said:
What's next... cup holders.
Actually, yes, that's on my to-do list too. ;)

The center console is an eyesore. If I can make it better-integrated (visually) with the rest of the interior, I see nothing bad about that. The weight increase of this added leather is really minimal. Merely HAVING that center console cover is pointless and already adds unnecessary weight to the car.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
MattG said:
Merely HAVING that center console cover is pointless and already adds unnecessary weight to the car.
I don't know about that. The console provides a way to "snake" the wiring through the car, and it protects the shift and parking brake linkages from fingers, dirt and grime.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
MattG said:

As you can see, different colors are an option
Whoa, you caught my interest there for a moment. :clap: However. that white on the left of your last photo is due to color-shifting of the image. Darn it all. :rolleyes:

I'd been hoping for an off-white interior for my LB all along, but bisquet was the closest Lotus would offer, and it's just inadequate. May have to go to a BMW after-marketeer to get what I precisely want. :(

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
transio said:
Speaking of the Chapman philosophy...

Lotus should make a car that is nothing but frame, suspension, and drivetrain. No doors, no shell, nothing but what's needed to move it. No seats, even... you can sit on the floorpans, damnit!
Actually, they did. But if people thought the Elise was too spartan....:D

Source: http://www.340r.net/

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Re: Re: leather covered center console?

Ancient Wedgie said:
Whoa, you caught my interest there for a moment. :clap: However. that white on the left of your last photo is due to color-shifting of the image. Darn it all. :rolleyes:
Yes, it's a color-shift, but they CAN make this out of any color leather.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts