The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to give the interior of the car a good cleaning. I know the manual suggestions only warm water and a gentle soap. Beyond that, are there any leather cleaners or conditioners anyone would recommend? Or is soap and water all I should do?

It looks like tomorrow is going to be a wash-out around here :( and this is something that I can do in the garage and spend a little more time with my new purchase.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I use Lexol cleaner and conditioner.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Water and mild soap is typically the recommendation for all of the cars I have owned, which I don't understand. How is that going to prevent leather from drying out and cracking? Not an expert on leather, but it seems to me that you need to do something to replenish the natural oils in it from time to time.

Lexol has a good rep but it's a two step process with the cleaner and conditioner being two products. I have been using Mequiar's Gold Glass Rich Leather Cleaner and Conditioner on my other cars.

Just a word of caution, any conditioning product is going to make your seats sticky and squeaky for a while.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
I used lexol and still use it occasionally as it was good stuff, but now prefer the mothers leathertech series. It has done an excellent job at keeping my leather soft, cleans quite well, smells pleasant, and when buffed off properly leaves no residue and a nice matte finish (not wet/slimy)

Only problem is it isn't cheap and goes quickly, but is at least readily available.

There are a few good options out there.

·
Registered
2011 Persian Blue Elise R(S)
819 Posts
I've been using Griot's Leather Care and very happy with it. Non-greasy and it actually does smell like leather.

·
Premium Member
7,566 Posts
If the vehicle is in excellent shape and you just want a little freshen up Lexol products are fine.
If you want a more thorough cleaning you want to go with the Rejuvenator products. They are world class for show quality results. Not Cheap

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks all! I went for the Lexol, as I had used it on my Audi a while back and thought it worked well. But those wipes do look pretty handy and might be worth a look too.

·
Registered
52 Posts
If you haven't used the Leatherique product before it is worth trying. The "Oil" is just that with what I can only assume is animal fats floating in it. Just seems like if I was leather I would find this stuff yummy. Some folks go crazy and oil up their seats and then put the car in the sun with the windows closed and saran wrap over the seats to encourage absorption. Nothing wrong with Lexol but Leatherique is the next level.

·
Registered
7,353 Posts
+2

·
Registered
857 Posts
Lexol if you want something you can buy anywhere. Leatherique if you want the best of the best and don't mind paying for it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts