The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, guys. I installed some LED ring DRLs, and I've been having problems with the LED drivers occasionally burning up in a blaze of glory (photo attached where I peeled open the metal driver enclosure). The vendor has been really nice about this and has sent me replacements five times. They said that others have had one go bad, but never over and over again like this, so I suspect my car's electrical system is being naughty.
After the most recent one went bad, I decided to see what I could do to protect the drivers. I figured it was probably a load dump issue, since I'd usually see the smoke coming from a blown driver after starting the car. I purchased a set of unidirectional TVS diodes and soldered them between the 12v and ground input lines of the drivers, with the banded sided of the diode connected to the positive wire. Diagram attached. Apparently that was insufficient or I did it incorrectly, because a couple weeks later, boom- electrical fire smell and yet another burnt up driver.
I'm not overly experienced with electronics, so my simple one-part protection scheme is probably insufficient. I did not use a TVS with the turn signal line, since I figured this would be off during any voltage spike anyway. What do you guys recommend I do to protect these things? They look great, so I don't want to give up, but it's a big pain to have to keep messing with them. Thanks in advance, gents.

Attachments

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would suspect them as well, if it were not for the fact that I've gone through so many of them. It just seems more likely that the car is doing something at this point.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Hi, guys. I installed some LED ring DRLs, and I've been having problems with the LED drivers occasionally burning up in a blaze of glory (photo attached where I peeled open the metal driver enclosure). The vendor has been really nice about this and has sent me replacements five times. They said that others have had one go bad, but never over and over again like this, so I suspect my car's electrical system is being naughty.
After the most recent one went bad, I decided to see what I could do to protect the drivers. I figured it was probably a load dump issue, since I'd usually see the smoke coming from a blown driver after starting the car. I purchased a set of unidirectional TVS diodes and soldered them between the 12v and ground input lines of the drivers, with the banded sided of the diode connected to the positive wire. Diagram attached. Apparently that was insufficient or I did it incorrectly, because a couple weeks later, boom- electrical fire smell and yet another burnt up driver.
I'm not overly experienced with electronics, so my simple one-part protection scheme is probably insufficient. I did not use a TVS with the turn signal line, since I figured this would be off during any voltage spike anyway. What do you guys recommend I do to protect these things? They look great, so I don't want to give up, but it's a big pain to have to keep messing with them. Thanks in advance, gents.
Mind telling us where you go the rings / halos from?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh, sure. I got them from TheRetrofitSource.com: LED Halos I got the 70mm and 80mm sets to fit our headlights.

These guys have been really good to ship me replacement drivers. And I am actually scratching my head today because I noticed that the rings on the driver side, which I protected with the TVS diodes, are both lit up. Maybe I was going crazy when I thought they had burned out as well. I don't know, but they look fine, now.

FYI, these are the TVS diodes I bought: SLD10U-017

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I spoke too soon. Just yesterday afternoon I had another driver burn up, and this was one of the ones protected by the TVS diode. Took out a 10-amp fuse, too. This sure is frustrating.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts