The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I would like to replace the interior light bulbs with led lights for a brighter cleaner look as well as the license plate lights, has anyone done this and if so can you tell me where you ordered the bulbs and the part number? This would be for my 04 esprit thanks

·
Registered
678 Posts
I changed all my lights over to LED last year. www.Superbrightleds.com Just match your bulb with the picture.

Note- unless you can find a compatible flasher unit that can handle LED lights (which I haven't yet), you will need a power sink for each of the four turn signal lights.

·
Premium Member
11,703 Posts
I don't want my license plate any more visible than it is....

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
5,655 Posts
Laser Bob meant a Resistor for the flasher bulbs.

The stock flasher for incandescent bulbs cannot properly blink the lights with LED bulbs because the power draw is so low.

Most LED bulb sellers such as SuperBrightLEDs can set you up. If the info is not on their webpage, contact them and ask.

PS, DiodeDynamics is another excellent, knowledgeable provider of LED lights for many applications.

Diode Dynamics

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
VLEDS is great too...I've used them for LED bulbs for a couple of my other cars in the past.

I believe SuperbrightLEDS and VLEDS are the two that always seem to come up for LEDs on various car forums.

https://www.vleds.com/

Roy

·
Registered
678 Posts
While we're on the subject, does anyone know where I can get a 4 prong LED flasher unit for my G-car so I can get rid of the resistors I'm currently using on my turn signals (thanks for the terminology correction Atwell)?

Attachments

·
Registered
678 Posts
But if you do only the flasher swap you will lose your dash turn signal indicators which were driven by the fourth blade of the OEM flasher.
I read the thread awhile back. Good thread with lots of info. I need the dash turn signal otherwise I'll be 'that guy' driving down the road with his turn signal on.

On my car the the four wires going to the flasher are attached with spade wire crimps. Considering the history of my car, I'm not surprised. Theoretically, since I'm not confined to a specific blade pattern, any 4 prong LED flasher might do as long as one blade goes to the dash. I have the wiring pattern as: blade 1 is ground; 2 is + in; 3 is dash; 5 is load. Correct?

·
Registered
452 Posts
Laser Bob meant a Resistor for the flasher bulbs.

The stock flasher for incandescent bulbs cannot properly blink the lights with LED bulbs because the power draw is so low.

Most LED bulb sellers such as SuperBrightLEDs can set you up. If the info is not on their webpage, contact them and ask.

PS, DiodeDynamics is another excellent, knowledgeable provider of LED lights for many applications.

Diode Dynamics
And one of your Lotus Talk members is the design engineer for Diode. :)

(me)

·
Registered
452 Posts
That's really cool. Do you stock an LED flasher that will work in my car? I also went to your website and was inquiring about EP27
EP27 LED Flasher Module - LED Flashers - Accessories - All Products

It appears we do. I honestly don't know exactly what we have in stock, as I just work the engineering and product development of the in-house made products. However if you do call or email the sales reps, we've got about 6-8 guys/girls who are very helpful and can help track down what you need!

:up:

·
Super Moderator
3,865 Posts
Realize it's an old thread but I am planning to pull out my 87 Turbo Esprit USA binnacle (bad speaker can't come out without removing it). I've removed my late 88 binnacle many times, but it didn't have a mechanical oil pressure gauge in it. Any tips with that? Is it long enough to set aside without removing the plastic line?

RE: LEDs - does anyone know how many 74 and B9 LED (green) I need to replace for the speedo, tach, gauges?
My old eyes having trouble with those dim incandescents.

Thanks - Eddie

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
5,655 Posts
Careful with that plastic line, might be brittle.

Do you really need to remove the entire bin on a G-car? IIRC the front face(s) comes off fairly readily.

·
Dreaded Prior Owner
688 Posts
Eddie, the binnacle will have two threaded bulkhead fittings for the Oil and Boost lines, very easy to unscrew the lines once you've lifted the binnacle. Just don't start the car with the oil line disconnected!

Voltregulator.jpg

·
Registered
232 Posts
What Snowrx said. You might get a few drips of oil, and best to try to keep the end elevated, but other than that removing the oil line is a piece of cake. As to LEDs in the instruments I don't remember how many you need, 8 or 9 I think to replace them all, but note that the LED "bulbs" need to be short or they won't go back in the instrument bulb socket all the way.

·
Super Moderator
3,865 Posts
carbuff>Do you really need to remove the entire bin on a G-car? IIRC the front face(s) comes off fairly readily

Yes - they do come off the front. But the left speaker is wedged underneath the binnacle so no choice but to remove to replace the blown speaker. Just adding the LED upgrade since binnacle coming off anyway.

snowrx> two threaded bulkhead fittings for the Oil and Boost lines
Thanks for the great picture. I'd like to replace with a fully electronic oil pressure gauge (never felt comfortable with mechanical oil line in the cabin), but too disruptive - will inspect and make sure not cracking.

2Many Cars>ut note that the LED "bulbs" need to be short

Ah - thanks - that's not so obvious. I did notice some of these LEDs look bulky not to mention long.
Will order short ones.
I saw a old post (Travis? Jtrealty?) that said the alternator charging light has to remain incandescent because the charging circuit is somehow expected a certain level of resistance.

BTW - I did notice over the years an odd event - some cold morning, the gauges (fuel, voltage, temp) would have actual condensation on the inside. I left the car out in bright sunlight, open top/windows to get any residual moisture out of the car. But these act like something get wet in there. Is this 'normal'? I don't see it all the time, usually a cold California winter day - not necessarily raining 40F.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Do NOT use an LED bulb for the charging light. The alternator won't work unless it has a filament type bulb with the correct resistance. As for replacing with LED's, the advantages are they last longer and you can pick your color and brightness. The disadvantages are cost and very often you get a high "infant Mortality" because of the lousy quality control. Some types won't work with your dimmer switch. That said, if they last a while they will last a long time. So will ordinary bulbs for the amount of night time driving most Lotus's do now. I recommend just replacing with new, ordinary bulbs. Be sure to test them all before "buttoning up". For the bulb types that can be installed either way, the LED's won't work one way so if they don't light up, try flipping it the other way.
David Teitelbaum

1 - 20 of 22 Posts