The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know its not everyone's cup of tea but I added two high output red led light strips to the engine lid . I wired it back to the trunk and it comes on with the rear led tail lights ...I also put a lighted rocker switch at the back of the trunk to turn it of when not desired.. It looks a lot better even in person! Again probably not for everyone...

Attachments

·
Registered
394 Posts
funny how in the States they seem to be so ridiculously strict with "regulations", i.e. those ugly side reflectors, emergency release handle in a trunk that won't fit a puppy, etc.
but they allow you to hit the road with THAT?!!

in Europe, this would be an open invitation for the cops to harass you.

·
Registered
505 Posts
you dont need led lights for people to notice you ,you drive an exige :facepalm ,leave the fast and furious crap for the jap ricers :)

·
Registered
07 Exige S
1,662 Posts
I like it man. I would do the same thing in orange and hoon on gamedays.

I would def want the toggle in the cockpit with me. I bet it does look cool at night.

It's just another dimension or element that has VEGAS kinda flash.

Soooo...
How did you mount them ? It has to be possible to remove with no trace of it's prior placement. I hope that is possible ?
Did you try the lights at different placement as well in the engine bay.
Where did you source your lights ?

I voiced similar ideas a couple of years ago and got the same responses we see today. Really they are just old and don't understand car fetish's other than their own preferred ones. Much like all isms. I would do this in a minute. I bet it looks damn cool at night. peacb

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I like it man. I would do the same thing in orange and hoon on gamedays.

I would def want the toggle in the cockpit with me. I bet it does look cool at night.

It's just another dimension or element that has VEGAS kinda flash.

Soooo...
How did you mount them ? It has to be possible to remove with no trace of it's prior placement. I hope that is possible ?
Did you try the lights at different placement as well in the engine bay.
Where did you source your lights ?

I voiced similar ideas a couple of years ago and got the same responses we see today. Really they are just old and don't understand car fetish's other than their own preferred ones. Much like all isms. I would do this in a minute. I bet it looks damn cool at night. peacb
Thanks man I'll take a pic tomorrow for you.. They are double sided tape type led strip (flat) lights I mounted them high up in the engine bay by the top black grille's grilles you barely wouldn't even know they are there only if pointed out.. Wired to one of the rear led lights with tag on electrical taps that arebeasliy easily removed at a later time and a lighted rocker switch...comes on with tail lights when wanted...figure use it when I'm in LOUD mood..car looks like its from outer space anyway lol..now it looks like uranium is powering it . Also I find the Exige engine pretty cool looking with the Mohawk and intercooler set up..I get a lot nice complements on engine ... To each is own . Oh and i got them from pepboyspepboys the superb right 24" ones

etoeto ofoo

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
I like it and want to do something similar for my engine bay in my elise

·
** The Enforcer **
7,594 Posts
I'm going to predict this won't end well.

I think there are some vehicles that this type of mod might be appropriate for and others that aren't. I also think that there are some people that this type of mod might be appropriate for and others that would never consider it. That said I don't own any vehicles I'd consider this appropriate for and if I did own them I still wouldn't consider it.

I lived in Japan for over a decade and while I find the following entertaining, I don't want one as it's just a bit "loud" for me.

San

·
Premium Member
2,736 Posts
I say its your car (unless someone else is paying for it and objects), so do what you want with it. That's what makes the world go round. If people don't like it, who cares ? Have fun with your car. Life is too short! :D

Anyways, just a suggestion on lights… Giella LEDS are “Intense heat and fire resistant”. The selling demo actually shows a torch placed directly onto a lit strip with no ill effects except carbon deposit and the lights were still shining brightly afterwards. They should withstand the heat of the engine bay.

More info on Giella LEDS: Giella LED Strips - DistantXtremes

Also, you can wire in a cheap remote on/off switch from ebay so you can turn it on or off from your driver’s seat:

12V DC on Off Remote Control Wireless 12VDC Output Relay Switch Stocks for 6VDC | eBay

Don’t forget to add an in-line fuse. :nanner:

·
Registered
07 Exige S
1,662 Posts
Ahh Empire no more !

Me thinks the Republic already a 3rd World Country having been around the globe enough. Why not usher in our return with reflective vinyl and LED lights ?

Think 70s... Disco. It's back but looks like this now ! The music is Electronica

[/URL][/IMG]

·
Registered
945 Posts
I think Ross Carlson wanted to do this to his Exige too... http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f322/adding-lot-leds-can-done-cool-way-208978/

The Exige seems sort of surreal straight-out-of-a-cartoon to start with IMO, so I don't think the lights are too over the top. I would worry about running them on the street. After all, you don't want to distract the people who are behind you while you brake...

But for show? Hey, it's non-invasive, reversible, and would get a thumbs up from me!

Take some better pictures! Plus, now you need some of those insanely expensive bee-hive / hexagon carbon engine covers.

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
I would think elwire would look better.

Another option is side diffracting optical fibre powered by LEDs.
The triple color type can generate an infinite range of colors and shades.

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
rotfl

that looks crazy. makes it easy to see at night. :D
Thanks man.. It looks better in person too.. Lots of haters but is my car and I can do whatever I want! I turn it on or off when I feel like it... Its cool at shows or car meetups.. Just for fun...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts