The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys ,

take a look please .

Two small leds on LED TAIL LIGHTS are out of order.

what i have to do ?

are there any replacement led bulbs ?

thanks in advance
Haris

Attachments

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Not sure they have dealers in Greece...if I remember correctly he imported the car.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I was just reading about the technology for LED lights and they shouldn't go out like that. Weird. I thought they get dimmer, not burn out completely and independently.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Sure the LEDs are bad? They might have just become disconnected.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I've had two go out too. Taking in for warranty R&R this week. I was told there is one strip of leds that is replaceable in each light. But some are inside the housing and they just replace the entire housing if one of those.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Back to the original question...

The LEDs are not usually individually replaceable. Usually the thing has to be replaced as a unit.

The two LEDs should not have failed, they should, in fact, keep working for the life of the car. You obviously have a defective unit - as long as you have them installed properly (the wiring harnesses, ballasts, etc. that Lotus uses).

There may be places that you could send the unit away to that could replace the LEDs - I would imagine that they are soldered in place and aren't typical "Radio Shack" LEDS, so they may be harder for find.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Check to see if something is loose. Stuff FLIES around the trunk and I've often worried about my lights getting busted from the inside.

·
Older but getting faster
523 Posts
I have 3 out on my 2006 Elise with 10k miles.

I'm hoping the dealer will just ship me a replacement part so I can avoid a 450 mile round trip to get it fixed!

I miss light bulbs!

·
Registered
981 Posts
Did you have the repair made? Did it require full replacement?

I've had two go out too. Taking in for warranty R&R this week. I was told there is one strip of leds that is replaceable in each light. But some are inside the housing and they just replace the entire housing if one of those.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
I have a slightly broken 06 US LED taillight where the center section for the reverse bulb is broken but all the circle LED's work perfectly. You're welcome to buy it and see if you can open them up to swap LED's or housings.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Not yet paulhastings, a few things came up and I'll be taking it in probably around two weeks. Got some paint work being done and I'm trying to drop off the Lotus during slow times at the dealership (daily driver and like quick turn arounds). I will update the thread when I get it done though.

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
LED's burn out all the time, they're semiconductors and therefore delicate and need a lot of extra hardware to make sure they get to live in harmony with the universe, drive them hard and they'll go out quicker, manufacturing defects, slight differences in required current, poor design, or even just plain old bad joints on the mount, semiconductors were invented to protect fuses after all.

I'd imagine if you can open it up you can replace them, they're probably some sort of pcb mounted dealies, but you can still wire in new ones if you can't find the exact ones, just find some that match closely.

If you do open it up take hi res macro pictures of them preferably with the numbers visible if there any, and we'll find them or replacements.

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
If they worked before, I will take the chance and say that the problem is in the connections, not the leds themselves.

xtn

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
If I get the whole light replaced I'll try to see if they will let me keep the old one. At least then I can unsolder a few for those people out there that are out of warranty.

Might be a bit difficult matching color and intensity from radio shack.

·
Registered
295 Posts
i think you wish you had them exchanged with mine now ;-)

bad luck m8 .

sorry to hear about that.

from what i know it is really hard to have them opened without any damage.best of luck there !!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts