The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought new LED tail light conversion kit from my local Lotus dealer.
Purchased all the necessary wiring kit too.
After installation, everything worked perfect but when I turn on my ignition
one of my inner tail light lights up to it's brightest (like you are stepping on a break). When I turn my ignition off it goes back to normal dimmed light when parking light is on. So basically I turn my parking light on all 4 lights up dimmed which is normal but once I turn my ignition on 1 out of 4 light turn bright. :mad: Am I missing something? or just a bad tail light? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
469 Posts
bad tail light

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Do you mind my asking how much the LED conversion kit was?

·
Registered
853 Posts
bad tail light
+1, I had the same issue.. To be double certain swap positions with the inner lamps to make certain the problem stays with that specific lamp assembly.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you mind my asking how much the LED conversion kit was?
Sure,
Outer lamps (B121M0028F) List:$214.48 Paid:$178.73 x2
Inner lamps (B121M0029F) List:$214.48 Paid:$178.73 x2
Ballasts (A121M0035F) List:$46.37 Paid:$36.29 x2
Flasher (A121M6016F) List:$27.52 Paid:$21.54 x1
Inline resistors for ballasts(B121M0040F) List:$15.82 Paid:$11.86 x2
Inline resistors for inner lamps (A121M0041F) List:$16.79 Paid:$12.59 x2
Inline resistor for 3rd break light (A121M0040F) List:$15.44 Paid:$12.87 x1

I bought everything that Lotus dealer recommended. They also gave me 10% off from their retail price.
I ended up not using flasher yet (thought fast blink was pretty cool and also I cut myself trying to reach that darn flasher on edge of aluminum. Maybe I'll use it later). When I use resistors for the ballast my blinkers didn't work on my outer tail light so I didn't use it. I'll probably return it.
Resistor for 3rd break light... I don't know why I need it so I didn't bother using it. Probably return it too...

+1, I had the same issue.. To be double certain swap positions with the inner lamps to make certain the problem stays with that specific lamp assembly.
I did switch from left to right and did the same thing with same tail light. So I guess it's a bad tail light. I unplugged parking light wire from the plug so two inner lights will not light up with parking light, as a temporary fix, and I like how it looks. With parking light on, only two outer lights light up and with break on both inner lights light up bright. :D Maybe i'll keep it as is even after bad tail light replaced. :panic:

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update:
Just got a replacement LED tail light from my local Lotus dealer and did same thing.
I took my voltage meter out and measured my brake wire and reads 0 volt but as soon as I turn my ignition on it reads about 5 volts. :confused::confused:
I know now that it's not the tail light. I wonder what it could be?? My other (older) inner LED tail light works perfect.
So for now I have to have my lights like these:

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Update:
Just got a replacement LED tail light from my local Lotus dealer and did same thing.
I took my voltage meter out and measured my brake wire and reads 0 volt but as soon as I turn my ignition on it reads about 5 volts. :confused::confused:
I know now that it's not the tail light. I wonder what it could be?? My other (older) inner LED tail light works perfect.
The reason why the light gets brighter is because of the 5volts appering on the brake wire.. Go to the wiring diagrams and you will see that the only powered circuit attached to that line is the ABS module. The brake switch input for the ABS module is likely floating at 5 volts and that is powering one of the LED lights (unless you have some other aftermarket equipment hooked up to the brake wire).

The easiest solution is going to be to either seperate the ABS with a diode or separate the brake lights off with a 12v relay (the relay coil will not trip until it sees 12 volts)

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
I had the same problem. I bought the LED tail light kit from British Racing Group. I had it shipped directly to Symbolic Motors in La Jolla. After the install, the brake lights were constantly on as if someone were stepping on the brake.

The answer i got was my third brake light wiring was a little bit corroded which was causing a miscommunication in the electrical circuit. They had swapped out the third brake light with one they had in shop and Voila! Worked perfectly. They ordered a new third brake light and installed it for me.

I worked with Robert from British Racing Group and he was MORE than helpful. Thanks Robert!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My problem was 3rd brake light in-line diode which I have gotten with my kit but did not installed. Soon as I installed it everything works great now. Only problem now is flasher. I've installed my flasher but one side (right blinker) blinks normal but left side blinks fast still. So I ended up just using the stock flasher. I like it blinking fast anyway.

·
Registered
7,432 Posts
I had the same problem. I bought the LED tail light kit from British Racing Group. I had it shipped directly to Symbolic Motors in La Jolla. After the install, the brake lights were constantly on as if someone were stepping on the brake.

The answer i got was my third brake light wiring was a little bit corroded which was causing a miscommunication in the electrical circuit. They had swapped out the third brake light with one they had in shop and Voila! Worked perfectly. They ordered a new third brake light and installed it for me.

I worked with Robert from British Racing Group and he was MORE than helpful. Thanks Robert!
You're welcome. I'm sorry you had the problem at all.

Electrical systems in general are finicky but the LED tail lamp assemblies seem especially prone to acting up if there's even the slightest problem. That's why, while we do sell all the parts separately, we highly recommend buying the system as a whole (if converting) as it eliminates possible issues. That said, things like corroded lines do pop up and need to be addressed.

·
Saffron Yellow is Lighter
1,327 Posts
My problem was 3rd brake light in-line diode which I have gotten with my kit but did not installed. Soon as I installed it everything works great now. Only problem now is flasher. I've installed my flasher but one side (right blinker) blinks normal but left side blinks fast still. So I ended up just using the stock flasher. I like it blinking fast anyway.
What was the part number for the 3rd brake light diode? Or was it included with one of the parts below?

Outer lamps (B121M0028F) List:$214.48 Paid:$178.73 x2
Inner lamps (B121M0029F) List:$214.48 Paid:$178.73 x2
Ballasts (A121M0035F) List:$46.37 Paid:$36.29 x2
Flasher (A121M6016F) List:$27.52 Paid:$21.54 x1
Inline resistors for ballasts(B121M0040F) List:$15.82 Paid:$11.86 x2
Inline resistors for inner lamps (A121M0041F) List:$16.79 Paid:$12.59 x2
Inline resistor for 3rd break light (A121M0040F) List:$15.44 Paid:$12.87 x1

·
Registered
175 Posts
Having this same issue. Both inner units light up to full brightness when my lights are on. Anyone else had this issue in the last 10 years since this post was started and can offer their solution?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.