The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
945 Posts
They *say* they don't work, but do they really not work?

Based on people who have gone the other way (US to EU), http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f322/us-eu-tail-light-conversion-178729/ , I think the clamshell light openings are the same.

That means that the only incompatibility would be the harness, which means anyone with knowledge of rewiring should be able to make those work.

I think the reason they say they don't sell them to Federal Elise owners is that they aren't US legal / DOT approved.

Obviously I haven't tried, so no guarantees, but if the EU and US OEM lights fit in the same clamshell and the EliseParts lights fit in place of the EU lights... well... :shrug:

·
Wow Such Admin
6,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That means that the only incompatibility would be the harness, which means anyone with knowledge of rewiring should be able to make those work.

I think the reason they say they don't sell them to Federal Elise owners is that they aren't US legal / DOT approved.
This is probably it.

·
Registered
505 Posts
clamshell light openings are exactly the same on federal and euro spec cars,just the wiring is different (inductor harnesses for Euro,ballast for Federal etc)

100% correct

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
I have swapped euro tails and they do infact work and everything plugs in. But it was just the inner lights that I used as a tester.

·
Closer than you think
2,222 Posts
Interesting conversation, but none of this gets to why they now list for $1600. My only guess is that these things are as rare as World Series banners at Wriggly Field. Somehow they must have only made a handful more than what went into car production and then decided to let supply (low) and demand (high) send the price into the stratosphere.

I guess it's part of a double-edged sword. If our cars were as common as Honda Civics we'd have 12 pages of affordable Ebay after market alternatives for LED tail lights - but then our cars would be as common as Honda Civics...

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
I think they are on backorder as well. I remember giving up after a few months. They still mighy be on back order. Correct me if I am wrong, but don't the evora also use these same lights?

·
Wow Such Admin
6,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Interesting conversation, but none of this gets to why they now list for $1600.
That is so expensive for some very small tail lights and some resistors. I thought they were way expensive when they were $800 for the kit. I wish someone had connections with any of the companies in china to make some of these. Only thing is the market would obviously be quite small.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
That is so expensive for some very small tail lights and some resistors. I thought they were way expensive when they were $800 for the kit. I wish someone had connections with any of the companies in china to make some of these. Only thing is the market would obviously be quite small.

Which is probably why no one is bothering to tool up to make these. And if they did they would probably have to price them just as much to make it worthwhile.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
you could handmake them in the US for less I think. That price is silly even considering the tiny market.

·
Premium Member
2005 Lotus Elise; 2007 Lotus Exige S; 2012 Porsche 991S
1,756 Posts
@Nessal during your upgrade, did you need anything besides the OEM european LED taillights? All this talk of ballast, resistors, etc -- is any of that necessary?

·
Vendor
359 Posts
@Nessal

LED Inner Lamps are available - $240.92 each
LED Outer Lamps are available - $249.70 each

Those are US Spec

Euro Spec (for those interested) are not available.

Now the harnesses needed I will have to check on.

·
Premium Member
12,150 Posts
I don't wish to hurt anyone's feelings.

But, if the conversion kit cost $72, I would not spend that money.

What do I care about LEDs. The standard brake and taillights work just fine.

Incandescently so....

·
Premium Member
1,756 Posts
But they're important because when you're driving a Lotus you're bound to be in front of everyone so all they see are the rear lights! ;)

·
Premium Member
1,413 Posts
I am liking my 05 tail lights even better now. Even if I swap to led's its still cheap

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
@Nessal during your upgrade, did you need anything besides the OEM european LED taillights? All this talk of ballast, resistors, etc -- is any of that necessary?

My car is 2006 so I already had the LED stock. The European middle tail lights do plug in directly and worked out of the box. But be aware that all of the European tails only light up in a half circle. In fact, there is only LED half way around. Also the center tail lights are used for braking only. On the US spec, when you turn on the headlights, all of the rear tails come on as well. On the European model, they only come on when braking.

·
Premium Member
1,756 Posts
My car is 2006 so I already had the LED stock. The European middle tail lights do plug in directly and worked out of the box. But be aware that all of the European tails only light up in a half circle. In fact, there is only LED half way around. Also the center tail lights are used for braking only. On the US spec, when you turn on the headlights, all of the rear tails come on as well. On the European model, they only come on when braking.
Hmm, really? The pics on all the sites selling the euro LEDs look like they go all the way around.

Can you post a picture (or video) of your setup if you get a chance?

·
Saffron Yellow is Lighter
1,310 Posts
Lotus LED Tail Light Kit

Man, first time I saw them they were $800, then $1000, now $1600?!?

Has anyone tried to get the led kit from eliseparts?
Hey Doge,

Note that a bunch of the parts from that original price/parts list are no longer needed. You don't need the ballasts or adapter wires/resistors. Just the Solid State Relay and the 4 bulbs basically.

·
Premium Member
1,756 Posts
Got some clarification from a guy on SELOC -- this is what the Euro LEDs look like. The inners are only a half circle which is kind of odd looking if you ask me.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 37 Posts