The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am still having a heck of a time trying to get my tail lights working. Can someone please take a picture of the back of the outside US LED Tail light to show me where the wires from the 3 plug originate. The EURO do not have this 3 plug coming from the light, so you can not hook up the ballast. To spend this much money on something and have this much trouble SUCKS!
Thanks.
Rick

·
shay2nak
25,083 Posts
well the outside LEDs for US and EURO function differently. The only difference being the indicator. Red ring for US, center orange bulb for EURO. You have to rewire yourself to get it to work. I think someone has done it. It's on a lighting or taillight thread.

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
Remember, too, that diodes (LEDs) only work with the polarity one way. Switch + and - and they won't work.

·
Registered
82 Posts
you cant get the polarity wrong, there are only three wires for the LED's, high, low and ground. there is a confusion in the harness conversion between the 05' harness and the LED tail lights. he has a EURO outer and a US outter for an inner. which is no big deal but needs to do some more harness conversion.

EB Turbo

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
you cant get the polarity wrong, there are only three wires for the LED's, high, low and ground. there is a confusion in the harness conversion between the 05' harness and the LED tail lights. he has a EURO outer and a US outter for an inner. which is no big deal but needs to do some more harness conversion.

EB Turbo
That makes sense...

·
Registered
82 Posts
for the outer EURO light to 05' outer: looking at the back of the connector(not the side with the pins) unlock clip on bottom, retaining clip on top, from top left:
__
I I
(1)(2)(3)
(4)(5)(6)

1.Black
2.Empty
3.Purple
4.Red
5.Green
6.Empty

for this you need to splice from yellow(on inner tail light side) to purple wire on outter tail light. the outer 05' harness does not have a brake signal in it. you need to splice from inner.

The US outer taillight that you are using for an inner has no center bulb. you can wire it up for running light and brake lamp but you will not have a reverse light. you need to find a US inner light or a EURO inner light so you can retain your reverse lamp.

The EURO outer has a turn indicator on the center(amber) with a high and low LED ring for running and brake lamp. the US outer light only has a high and low ring and the high ring is also used as a turn indicator. the US outer can only be used for an outer tail light.

once you get either a US inner or a EURO inner i will provide the wiring conversion because both of these lights are wired different. the US has full rings high and low with reverse and the EURO light only has a half a ring of high and a reverse. i think the US inner would be the desired one.

EB Turbo

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My brain is starting to hurt rotfl.
When I get home this afternoon, I will take pictures of mine and put them up here.
Thanks for everyones help!
BTW, I over nighted the one US inner that I was having trouble with back to Lotus Garage this morning.
Rick

·
Registered
82 Posts
Thanks for everyones help!
BTW, I over nighted the one US inner that I was having trouble with back to Lotus Garage this morning.
Rick
For correct operation of all lights you need to return both US outer lights(what you were using for inners) and get correct US inners or Euro inners. then depending on what you get ill help you with the wiring conversion.

This wiring is for 05' Elise to EURO Inner and Outer. not to be confused with US inner and outer.

If you have the EURO inner and outer lights, no ballast or jumper harness is required. all you need to do is re-pin both inner and outer EURO lights to mate correctly to the 05' taillight harness and you need to jump one wire from the inner lamp to the outer lamp. these views are from the back of the connector(not the side showing the pins).

the outer EURO light when pin correctly will look like this
____*
I I
(1)(2)(3)
(4)(5)(6)

1.Black
2.Empty
3.Purple
4.Red
5.Green
6.Empty

for the inner EURO light as follows:
___*
I I
(1)(2)(3)
(4)(5)(6)

1.Black
2.Yellow
3.Empty
4.Empty
5.Brown
6.Empty

You will need to splice the yellow wire from the inner light to the purple wire on the outer Euro light. it is recommended that you put a connector on this splice because lights are fitted from outside. if the splice is made with lights removed form vehicle you will not be able to install them correctly.

EB Turbo

*these marks are supposed to represent the hump on the top of the connector when viewed from the back but it wont let me get the spacing correct. the black wires on both connectors do not need to be moved and should be used a reference to the rest of the pinout

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here are the pictures of my lights. As you can see, it is EURO outers and US inners. I have wrote so much about this to so many people, I am probably going to repeat myself but here goes.
Since the EURO outers only have 1 6 plug, I can not hook up the ballast. So what I have done is I took one of the Inductor Jump Harness for the US inners and chaged the pins so it would fit the EURO outer light and the cars harness. I then had one side hooked up. When I started the car and turned on the running lights, the US inner acted like the brake light was on. I swapped out this light with the other US inner and it worked fine. The running lights had both on at the same brightness, the turn indicator had the amber light on the outside blink, the back up had the inner clear light lightup and the brake has the inside LED cicle light up. Does both sets usually light up when you brake? If so, I ghuess I need to splice that wire like one of you suggested.
So that is where I am at right now, because I sent the defective light back to Lotus Garage and they said they would test it and send me another one. If it is bad, I am going to get 2 more of the inner US Inductor Jump Harnesses and repin one for the other EURO outer. Is this about as clear as mud?
Once again thanks for all your help. I hope I never have to get as knowledgeable (or confused) about a set of lights again.
Rick

Attachments

·
Registered
82 Posts
Since the EURO outers only have 1 6 plug, I can not hook up the ballast.
<b>For the both EURO lights and the US inner a ballast and a jumper harness is not required.</b>

So what I have done is I took one of the Inductor Jump Harness for the US inners and chaged the pins so it would fit the EURO outer light and the cars harness.
You need to wire the lights like the 05' ones you were replacing not like the ones you were putting in.

I then had one side hooked up. When I started the car and turned on the running lights, the US inner acted like the brake light was on. I swapped out this light with the other US inner and it worked fine.
this is because you had the lights wired incorrectly but, not problem.

The running lights had both on at the same brightness, the turn indicator had the amber light on the outside blink, the back up had the inner clear light lightup and the brake has the inside LED cicle light up. Does both sets usually light up when you brake?
On the US cars both rings(Low) light for running light and both rings (High) light for brake light. On the EURO cars the outer light has a low and a high complete circle for running and brake. the inner has a half a circle for brake only.

If so, I ghuess I need to splice that wire like one of you suggested.
So that is where I am at right now, because I sent the defective light back to Lotus Garage and they said they would test it and send me another one. If it is bad, I am going to get 2 more of the inner US Inductor Jump Harnesses and repin one for the other EURO outer. Is this about as clear as mud?
Once again thanks for all your help. I hope I never have to get as knowledgeable (or confused) about a set of lights again.
Rick
I am not sure why the Inductor jumper harness is required. if you re-pin the lights like i post below you will have no more problems.

The outer EURO light when pin correctly will look like this

(hump)
(1)(2)(3)
(4)(5)(6)

1.Black
2.Empty
3.Purple
4.Red
5.Green
6.Empty

You will also need to splice the Purple wire from the inner light to the purple wire on this outer light.
If you do not splice this the outer brake light will not function. only the inner brake lamp will function.

The inner US light when pin correctly will look like this

(hump)
(1)(2)(3)
(4)(5)(6)

1.Black
2.Purple
3.Empty
4.Empty
5.Brown
6.Red

EB Turbo

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I checked the wiring. I guess this is part of what the IJH on the US inners is suppose to do (readjust the pins). There are only 3 wires on the car harness on the outers though. I have the purple in number 2, and you have it in number 3. It doesn't make any difference because both dehead. The only reason for this wire is to splice it to the purple on the inner, so the outers will light up when the brakes are applied.
I think we have this thing figured out.
Thanks.
Rick

·
Registered
82 Posts
I'm glad everything worked out. if you have any more question please feel free to ask.

EB Turbo

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
I have a question for you all mighty wizard of Lotus tail light knowledge.

I have a 06 EU model with LED lights and I want to change my inner lights to the US inner lights so that I will have 4 tail lights and 4 brake lights vs only the 2 outer. I want to do this so I will have more visibility from the rear and because it looks like the center lights are broken/burnt out when they just sit there and do nothing. What do I need to purchase to make this work or can I just splice off of the outer harness in parallel to the inner ones. I think that may work, but I'm not sure if the ballast will handle it the additional lights.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have a question for you all mighty wizard of Lotus tail light knowledge.

I have a 06 EU model with LED lights and I want to change my inner lights to the US inner lights so that I will have 4 tail lights and 4 brake lights vs only the 2 outer. I want to do this so I will have more visibility from the rear and because it looks like the center lights are broken/burnt out when they just sit there and do nothing. What do I need to purchase to make this work or can I just splice off of the outer harness in parallel to the inner ones. I think that may work, but I'm not sure if the ballast will handle it the additional lights.

I am sure you will need to move some pins around and you will need to splice the red wire from the outer EURO light to the RED wire on the coming US inner light. I don't have a EURO wiring diagram or a EURO car in front of me so i cant really help with the wiring pin out specifically. but i can say that your EURO inner has three wires Black(Ground), Yellow(Brake) and Brown(reverse). the new US light will have four.

Black-Ground, Leave it where it is in the connector,

Purple-Brake, If necessary move this pin to match the location of the yellow wire in the EURO light you are removing,

Red-Running, This wire technically does not need to be terminated in the plug but you do need to splice it to the red wire from the outer light.

Brown-Reverse, If necessary move this pin to match the location of the brown wire in the EURO light you are removing

let me know if you run into any problems, which you shouldn't. lol

EB Turbo

·
Registered
369 Posts
How does one wire up the LED tails to a car that is NON LED

·
Registered
1 Posts
EU tail lights

Hi, I am elvin from newcastle , UK and I have the EU LED tails lights. I have been trying to achieve the 4 full circle lit on both tail and brake lamp.

After reading much from here, it seems that the wiring and schematic of the EU lamps are still very vague. SO i decided to share my knowledge of the EU taillights.

anyway, here goes.

the EU Taillight's configuration is like this, pretend you are looking at the lotus from the rear and the brakets () are the rings.

EU LED TAIL LIGHT CONFIG
--------------------------
(0) 0) LOTUS (0 (0)

the outer rings have 2 functions, tail and brake whereby the tail is a dim full circle and the brake is bright full circle.
the indicator is in the middle and it is amber in colour.
Total wires from this lamp unit is 4 (tail/brake/indicator/ground)

the inner lamp units have 2 functions only. HALF a ring for FOG LIGHTS and the center white bulb for reverse.
Therefore only 3 wires from this unit (fog/reverse/ground)

Hope this helps in the discussions :)

·
Registered
505 Posts
I WILL BRING BACK AN OLD THREAD FROM THE DEAD :)
I have just installed the led tail lights from Lotus,on euro cars a Inductor jumper harness is required for the 2 outer lights

My question is...what the hell does the inductor jumper harness do ???????

On euro tail lights,the inner lights only have a use for the reverse light
So im thinking of putting 2 inner U.S spec lights so i get all four to light up for brake and tail instead of the outside ones only
Im going to splice the U.S inners to my outers so both function the same,so im not sure if i need the harness on the inners as well when spliced to the outers (if you get my meaning) :facepalm

1 - 20 of 20 Posts