The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What’s the current status on buying the OEM 2006+ LED taillights for an ‘05?

All the threads addressing this are years old and have dead links. Is anyone selling a conversion kit online? Can you still buy the conversion kit from a lotus dealer?

Are people successfully running the LED lights on an ‘05?

**I know there are aftermarket LED kits out there but I’m interested in OEM

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
try this link

·
Registered
944 Posts
Yes, there are LED plug-n-play LED tail lights for 2005 Elise/Exige. Some examples: Type 1 Type 2

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If anyone was wondering, I got the updated prices for all the parts needed to retrofit and it’s up to $1,800 :cry:

·
Registered
285 Posts
If anyone was wondering, I got the updated prices for all the parts needed to retrofit and it’s up to $1,800 :cry:
Wow. That's a lot of money. I was toying with the idea of making this switch with my car but I dont think so at that price.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just did the retrofit on my ‘05, but I’m having an issue. When I turn my lights on, the two inner units light up to full brightness (as if I was depressing the brakes). Therefore, I have no brake lights at night other than my third brake light. With the lights off, everything works as intended (brake lights, turn signal, reverse lights, etc). Any ideas?

·
Registered
340 Posts
I just did the retrofit on my ‘05, but I’m having an issue. When I turn my lights on, the two inner units light up to full brightness (as if I was depressing the brakes). Therefore, I have no brake lights at night other than my third brake light. With the lights off, everything works as intended (brake lights, turn signal, reverse lights, etc). Any ideas?
I just got some v2 ones for my 2005, it came with another part besides the lights..it a resister or flasher module or something...did you get that part too? Are there any install instructions anywhere? Got mine used so no instructions.

·
Registered
944 Posts
The flasher module is needed to replace your origninal flasher that would cause hyper flashing of the tail lights if you don't replace it. The new one goes under the dash roughly in the center. It is best to pull out the passenger seat and lay on your back, then look up. You will see two of them, only one needs to be replaced. Figure out which one by pulling one out at a time and testing your turn signal to see that it does not work. Don't put the new one in until you figure out which one is the correct one to replace. It may help to unscrew the mounting block, just one screw allows the block to drop a few inches.
Good luck, PM me if you want more help.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
The flasher module is needed to replace your origninal flasher that would cause hyper flashing of the tail lights if you don't replace it. The new one goes under the dash roughly in the center. It is best to pull out the passenger seat and lay on your back, then look up. You will see two of them, only one needs to be replaced. Figure out which one by pulling one out at a time and testing your turn signal to see that it does not work. Don't put the new one in until you figure out which one is the correct one to replace. It may help to unscrew the mounting block, just one screw allows the block to drop a few inches.
The best way is to have your wife do it.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Thanks!!

·
Registered
944 Posts
For those that need to change out your flasher relay, I just posted a tutorial. I also IDed all the relays under the dash. Here is the link. I give the full instructions in the link and these are some of the pictures.

Reactions: Don Ellis
1 - 15 of 15 Posts