The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It doesn't look like the tail lights on the Elise are LEDs. Anyone out there planning on manufacturing a PCB LED set up to retrofit into the existing housing? Couldn't find any information about this anywhere. Thanks.

·
Registered
963 Posts
I would also be interested in LED lights in the rear. I love the new 2004 S2000 LED rear tails.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
tidalwdave said:
I would also be interested in LED lights in the rear. I love the new 2004 S2000 LED rear tails.
But you will never see it;)

Patrick
2005 Elise

·
Registered
963 Posts
Patricko said:
But you will never see it;)

Patrick
2005 Elise
Are you kidding! I'll be looking at and cleaning my car non stop. I'll always be seeing it. Maybe not with the lights actually on, but I'll be checking out my car non stop. :D Plus, it seems an easy enough mod to do. I like the look the LEDs give off.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
tidalwdave said:
Are you kidding! I'll be looking at and cleaning my car non stop. I'll always be seeing it. Maybe not with the lights actually on, but I'll be checking out my car non stop. :D Plus, it seems an easy enough mod to do. I like the look the LEDs give off.
I think what Patricko means is that "You won't be seeing the tail light of the S2000 but he'll be seeing yours." I could be wrong:)

·
Registered
426 Posts
They sell LED bulbs everywhere but I'm not sure if they are bright enough to be effective as brake lights. Anyone ever use these?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Has anyone seen the tail lights of the fed Elise on? Did they keep the semi-circular arrangement like the Espirit?

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
huggy bear said:
I think what Patricko means is that "You won't be seeing the tail light of the S2000 but he'll be seeing yours." I could be wrong:)
Nope huggy (but that is another good take on it), I meant that he will be driving the car and will not be able to see the LED light up...spending money for the enjoyment of the motorists behind you is noble;)

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Joetz said:
They sell LED bulbs everywhere but I'm not sure if they are bright enough to be effective as brake lights. Anyone ever use these?
How much do the weigh;)

Seriously I wonder how much power they draw vs the OEM bulb, it could be an issue, most likely not but...

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
huggy bear said:
I guess if you really do like the look of the S2000 tail lights you could follow one around in your Elise and then you would get the "benifits" with out the cost:D

·
Registered
426 Posts
Seriously I wonder how much power they draw vs the OEM bulb, it could be an issue, most likely not but...
They weigh about the same, but they consume far less energy. That's why you get "crazy blinker syndrome", where the turn signals blink very fast, as if a bulb is out. You may also get a message on the dash of some of the newer cars that says a brakelight is out.

I think there is a resistor you can use that prevents these problems.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes given the same wattage for an LED vs Incandesant the LED produces more lumens. The LED is far more efficient. Produces less heat and has less resistance than the incandesant bulbs. An easy fix for the faster blink rate would be to intall some resistors in the path way. You can buy a variable one from www.libertek.com If a PCB was made the resistance can be built onto the board. Adding the resistance will alleviate any alerts you car may have for "light are out"

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
huggy bear said:
An easy fix for the faster blink rate would be to intall some resistors in the path way.
I would have thought the easy fix was to leave it the way Lotus made it...;)

Patrick
2005 Elise

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Patricko said:
I would have thought the easy fix was to leave it the way Lotus made it...;)

Patrick
2005 Elise
LOL What fun would that be? We all love to tinker with our toys. It really is easy. :)

So no one knows if the Elise lights have the semi-circular style of the Espirit?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts