The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just changed the pads and rotors without any problems... started to bleed the brakes and all pass fluid (no air bubbles) except the drivers rear. Got a brief flow, then it stopped no matter what I try.
Before I start down the road of a bad proportion valve, what might be a more likely cause of only one caliper not bleeding. The caliper itself?

Appreciate a little help.
-John

·
Premium Member
1,539 Posts
You need to be able to cycle the ABS in order to bleed the brakes. In order to do that you need a Lotus scan tool like this.

·
Acme Super Moderator ** The Enforcer **
7,598 Posts
You need to be able to cycle the ABS in order to bleed the brakes. In order to do that you need a Lotus scan tool like this.
I'd ask who the cute woman in the car is, but I'm sure it would get me in trouble. I apologize.

San

·
Scott M
293 Posts
If there's a chance the fluid was ancient before the bleed, you could have a clogged bleeder screw. I'm not speaking with any Elise-specific info- Just my own experience dealing with crusty bleed screws courtesy of treatment (or lack thereof) by the dreaded PO. ;-)

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for the notice about the lotus scan tool. Is that obtainable from one of our vendors?
As an aside, the weird thing is I bled the other three calipers just fine with no issue. From dark to clear.
I too thought it might be a clogged bleeder, but it turns fine and it initially was able to get some flow. I don’t think that’s it.

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a Foxwell OBD2... I don’t imagine I’m in luck and only need to buy a lotus specific update 🙄

·
Premium Member
1,539 Posts
San, the lovely girl is my oldest son’s girlfriend. She likes to work in the garage with us and isn’t afraid to get her hands dirty. One day I said to her, “ I’m surprised you like to hang out in the garage with us and work on cars” to which she replied “what’s not to like, you always have cool music playing, the work you do is interesting and the beer is always cold”. Yup, my son has a keeper.

·
Premium Member
1,539 Posts
Oh yeah, the scan tool. Only available from Lotus if your a dealer. Every once in a while one shows up for from private sale. Don’t ask me where I got mine........

·
Administrator
1,446 Posts
You don't always need that tool do you? I had problems when I did my first flush but I found I had to keep reservoir topped just a little low would get air in system. I have and use both pressure and vacuum and start at the clutch and work farthest to closest and had to really work that driver side rear to get that bubble out when I did let it get low.

·
Premium Member
1,539 Posts
The Lotus scan tool opens each valve on the ABS and lets you know which caliper to bleed. After you bleed the caliper you advance the program on the scan tool and it opens the next valve and you bleed to corresponding caliper. After you finish all four calipers it cycles the ABS to self check. Very efficient. I don’t know how you bleed the entire system and get all the air out without it.

·
Less is Better
2,626 Posts
You don't need to cycle the ABS to bleed the brake calipers, it just won't flush the ABS unit. As long as the ABS unit hasn't been drained, at least. It won't effect flow to any of the calipers so that's not likely to be the problem for the OP.

@Fox Does the brake continue to go to the floor or is it stopping as if the bleeder were closed? If it continues to move to the floor, I would suspect air in the system, if not, a clog as long as the bleed screw is sufficiently open.

·
Administrator
1,446 Posts
Good to know and me neither! Maybe I lucked out. The first flush got rid of all the smelly clutch issues I was having and that got my mechanical confidence up and as pads were down near minimum spec I replaced the XP10/XP8 with RC5+ all the way around and couldn't be happier for a street/track pad. Richard

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The pedal is firm, doesn’t fade. Just like the bleeder is closed. Than was while I’m in the garage. I’m about to go for a spin and do a gentle check of the brakes.

·
Premium Member
1,539 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,539 Posts
You don't need to cycle the ABS to bleed the brake calipers, it just won't flush the ABS unit. As long as the ABS unit hasn't been drained, at least. It won't effect flow to any of the calipers so that's not likely to be the problem for the OP.
Maybe. I replaced all my brake lines to the calipers in my Elise with new Stainless Steel lines. Then I tried to bleed all the brakes with a pressurized bleeder, then manually bled the system. I couldn’t get a firm peddle. At no time was the brake fluid reservoir low. Then I used the scan tool to cycle the ABS and bleed the brake lines. Everything worked out just fine.

This is my fourth Exlige. Bleeding the brakes has always been an issue. Which is why I have a scan tool.

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Certified Lotus... I did my due diligence and find the Sands write-ups to be top notch. I always review them before the work starts.

While not spirited, I’ve just returned from a spin and everything is fine. No pedal fade, no pulls, no fluid, and the ABS kicks in, it’s just like you’d expect.
Come tomorrow I’ll try to bleed the left rear and see if anything is different...
-John

·
Premium Member
2,636 Posts
I have flushed the system with low pressure and no scan tool

I would suggest if the problem happens again, push the piston in the offending caliper all the way back, and then pump the fluid back in with the pedal.

If you get any air at all in the ABS, or between the master and the ABS, it can be impossible to bleed

1 - 20 of 28 Posts