The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evora Drivers: I am 3 months into my new 13' S IPS. Having owened other Lotus', I have praise for the lack of issues at this time. NO major mechanicals, stalls, or issues to speak of - except one small irritant.

I have seen a few forum calls for a "wiggly mirror" and that is what I call my small issue. Passenger's side (rt. USA) is 100% rock solid, but dirver's side mirror wiggles at speed and is a abit annoying with our limited views out the back. Anyone tackle this issue with a fix, or is a new mirror housing/mechanicals needed ?

Having a blast and love the car.............note to NC Lotus Owners - Coffee and Cars for Raleigh should be the 3rd Saturday of every month. Hope to see some of you this Saturday.

·
Premium Member
2,179 Posts
If you have power windows, make sure they are fully extended, otherwise this can cause a rattle.

·
Happy To Be Here
2013 Lotus Evora IPS - Carbon Gray
917 Posts
I, too, have a shakey driver's side mirror and I brought it up with the dealer on my first visit. They said it could be fixed under warranty, but they weren't sure what that involved. They didn't know if the mechanism inside is servicable, or if you'd just have to replace the entire mirror and housing. I've learded to live with it because I don't want to deal with replacing the entire mirror and make sure I get the star shield on the new mirror and hopefully have the shake go away. What the dealer did tell me (from their email with Lotus) is that if you have power fold mirrors, cycle them in and out a few times and the issue should go away. I don't have my power fold mirror switch installed, so I can't say if this fixes the issue. For me, I just try not to worry about it.

·
Registered
635 Posts
My dealer said it was not covered under warranty, go figure. I did not have the powerfold mirrors originally, but I did the DIY switch swap. Cycling the powerfold mirrors does not make a difference for me. If any of you figure out how to fix the issue, I'm all ears.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Don't the mirrors fold manually as well? If so, what is the difference between manually folding and power folding for this purpose?

·
Registered
391 Posts
My 2013 Evora S IPS also suffers from this malady.

I'm about to add the power fold option, so will see if it makes any difference.

Definitely interested if there's a fix, the "jiggles" annoy...

And for clarification, the mirror hosing is rock solid, it's just the mirror inside the housing that Jiggles.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks to all...............appears to be more than just a one-car issue. I will work with my dealer and call a person at Lotus USA I know pretty well. More, as I learn more.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Yeah, definitely pls keep us posted. My warranty runs out end of next year, so I'd love to have this addressed before then.

·
Registered
200 Posts
If moving it backwards and forwards doesn't tighten it up try removing the glass to access the clamp.

Push the inside edge of the mirror glass as far is it goes the outer leading edge will protrude enough for you to get a grip of it. You then need to pull the glass towards you and out. Just reverse the process to get it back in.

Once the glass is out you'll see a screw that tightens the clamp around the rotator. Hopefully adjusting that should solve your problem.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Have same problem. Also, have power folding option; cycling in/out does not correct the jiggle. Agree with suggestion to tighten clamp around gimble. Although, when trying to pry mirror glass out of holder, was concerned how much force I was using. Decided to allow dealer to do as warranty issue, as I did not want to break mirror glass. In talking with mechanic, he has seen this a number of times, and noted that tightenng attachment may be possible. Also, he noted if this didn't correct or wasn't applicable he has used a stick-on foam/rubber material on the back of glass to allow a cushioning affect against housing and aleviate vibration.
We'll see as car is serviced.........

·
Registered
391 Posts
Although, when trying to pry mirror glass out of holder, was concerned how much force I was using. Decided to allow dealer to do as warranty issue, as I did not want to break mirror glass......
Had the same concern myself:crazyeyes

In talking with mechanic, he has seen this a number of times, and noted that tightenng attachment may be possible. Also, he noted if this didn't correct or wasn't applicable he has used a stick-on foam/rubber material on the back of glass to allow a cushioning affect against housing and aleviate vibration.
We'll see as car is serviced.........
Sounds like a good idea, let us know how you get on!

·
Illegal Alien
5,308 Posts
Same issue, why the driver side and not passenger? Does Jaguar have this issue (they must) and a fix? I had my dealer work on it at first service, it got better but not fixed... and power cycling does nothing.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
I don't have this issue with my 2013 IPS S, so it's not all cars. Definitely should be covered under the warranty for those who are experiencing this issue though.

Also, this may be completely irrelevant but make sure you are using a light touch when closing the doors. They are very light and it takes vey little force to get one to close properly. I don't know if that is a factor in some of the wobbly mirrors and windows not operating properly but I thought I'd mention it.

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
My drivers side jitters a bit as well. I was told by the dealer that 1) it isn't covered and 2) TADTS
No, they don't all do that. Mine never has (Evora S 2011)

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Similar issue fixed today. Mine wasn't wiggling, but rattling on uneven roads or at speed. There is a single screw from underneath the mirror that you can try to tighten. We got rid of the rattle by greasing the folding mechanism.

·
Registered
635 Posts
tbd, is the folding mechanism you refer to inside the main mirror housing? Is it accessible without having to disassemble the housing? Just curious before I try to attack it this weekend.

Also, what kind of grease did you use?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts