The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the weirdest electrical problem I've seen so far. My turn indicator (blinker) would blow a fuse. But only when I signal for a left turn. Right turns are just fine. When signalling a right turn, the turn signals work, I hear the normal clicky-clack, the green light on the instrument panel works. But a left-turn signal will instantly blow the fuse (!). To make a long story short, I disconnected everything that receives a left-turn signal. The two left-front lights, the left rear light, i disconnected the turn indicator stalk itself, the alarm module (yes, it gets a turn signal, no idea why) and finally the instrument cluster (it gets the signal to light the green turn indicator light).

Turns out the instrument cluster was the problem. As soon as I had that disconnected, it worked again! This is really weird, as the green light on the cluster works, thus that didn't indicate a short. Even more weird was that once I re-connected the instrument cluster, it works again (so far). No more blown fuse. Fingers crossed.

The only thing that I can tell that might have been wrong is that one wire going to this fuse (red circle) was disconnected. The fuse has a quick-disconnect that looked like it was lose, or about to come lose. Anyone know what this fuse is for? This is on the back of the instrument cluster.

I'm in the process of putting my car back together. Will report back if it keeps working.

Attachments

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
SirLotus, any wise words? Any idea what this fuse on the back of the cluster is for?

Thanks!

PS Car is back together, so far all is fine. Still a bit worrisome that it just works again by unplugging and plugging the cluster back in. I'm waiting for this to come back again.....

·
Registered
6,948 Posts
I have no idea, are you sure it is a fuse and not a diode? The purple/white wire goes from the interior light circuit to the "lights on" buzzer.
Michal

1 - 3 of 3 Posts