The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, great community here and glad to be a part of it now :)

I thought I'd check to see what the thoughts are on the battery to stay SS legal.

My car came with the Odyssey PC925, which is ~3.5 pounds lighter than stock according to this: http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f321/battery-choices-information-64071/

Is this close enough, or would I have to get a stock replacement or something heavier (Optima Red Top 35)? I'd love to keep it since lotustalk seems to like that one, but would change it if you guys think I could get protested for it.

Thanks for any thoughts.

-John

·
Registered
59 Posts
From the 2014 rule book for Street:

Alternate components which are normally expendable and considered
replacement parts (e.g., engine and wheel bearings, seals, gaskets,
filters, belts, bolts, bulbs, batteries, brake rotors, clutch discs, pressure
plates, suspension bushings, drivetrain mounts, fenders, trim pieces,
fuel filler caps, etc.) may be used provided they are essentially identical
to the standard parts (e.g., have the same type, size, hardness, weight,
material, etc.), are used in the same location, and provide no performance
benefit. The allowance for use of such replacements does not
include camshafts, differential covers, or ring-and-pinion sets, nor does
it authorize the use of piston rings having different configurations (e.g.,
“Total Seal®”) from those of the original.
Hardware items (nuts, bolts, etc.) may be replaced by similar items of
unrestricted origin. Safety wire, threadlocker compounds, and locking
70 — 2015 SCCA® National Solo® Rules
13. Street
nuts are permitted. These allowances are strictly to allow components
to be replaced from alternate sources other than the original manufacturer.
They should not be construed as an allowance to replace components
with those which could be considered a “higher performance”
alternative. Parts available as replacements through the dealers parts
department, the factory, or any other source which do not meet standard
part specifications (e.g., hardness, size, etc.) are non-compliant
in Street

·
Registered
264 Posts
I'd not protest a full size battery in the stock location, 3.5# lighter or not.

Some people would, but likely only at Nationals, and even then, if it is a full size battery...ehh. I'd be surprised. At 3.5# lighter, though, it clearly violates the rule.

Safest (and cheapest) course of action is to get a 26r.

Iain

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alright, thanks for the thoughts. I was definitely looking for your guys' interpretation of "essentially identical." I'll just play it safe.

For the record, I think it would be a pretty weeny protest :p

·
Registered
11 Posts
If you approach questions like this one from a "will I get caught" point of view, you are missing a basis tenet of all sports- fair play. Rules are for everyone and cheating is cheating, no matter if anyone else cares, no matter what the level. If the rules are not clear, ask for an interpretation. Bottom line, show respect for the sport and compete legally.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you approach questions like this one from a "will I get caught" point of view, you are missing a basis tenet of all sports- fair play. Rules are for everyone and cheating is cheating, no matter if anyone else cares, no matter what the level. If the rules are not clear, ask for an interpretation. Bottom line, show respect for the sport and compete legally.
No offense, but I posted the original message with all intents of showing respect for the sport and competing legally. There's no "will I get caught" about it, and I was asking for people's interpretation.

"Essentially identical" is pretty subjective. +/- 3.5 pounds on a battery is, to me, essentially identical. To others it isn't. That's why I asked for how people viewed it.

I'm not sure why you think that's cheating.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I didn't make it clear that I was reacting to the "no one will care" and "wenny protest" comments. But regarding the OP's question, none of us on this forum has any standing when it comes to interpreting the rules. The only way to resolve the question "is a 3lb plus lighter battery legal in SS?" is to ask SOLO for the answer.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Pat, I'll let the supercharger slide. That 3.5 pounds more than offsets your supercharger, sucker!

Matt, I'm going to have somebody in SSM protest you. It can't be legal for your car to look so bada$$. Seriously, though, your car is gorgeous!

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
Just saw this thread, but I was going to suggest duct taping 3.5 lbs of steel strap to the battery.
Seriously, don't muck around, just get the right battery. Not worth the aggravation. Relative to most racing mods stock batteries are cheap.

3.5lbs is significant. In Street mod (a much more permissive class) they lay out "significant weight:

16.1.P. Any minor modification, intended to allow or facilitate any allowed
modification, is permitted as long as it does not provide any intrinsic
performance benefit in and of itself, does not provide a weight reduction
of more than 1 lb., and is not explicitly prohibited elsewhere
within these rules.

If 1lb is significant in SM, 3.5lbs is definitely significant in SS.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Does anyone know or have the dimensions and weight of the stock battery? Basically same situation here... but 6 years later and batteries have been replaced.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Does anyone know or have the dimensions and weight of the stock battery? Basically same situation here... but 6 years later and batteries have been replaced.
My car has a Duralast 47-DL in it which is not the original. But looking for a battery from the Autozone web site shows something like the following which looks to be about the same size as mine:

• FITMENT DETAILS
    2005 Lotus Elise (1.8L 1795CC L4 FI VIN: 2ZZGE)
    • FREE INSTALLATION & TESTING; OE Exact Fit; OE Spec: OE Group 26R; OE CCA 550; Battery Spec: 575 CCA; 720 CA; 81 Minute Reserve Capacity; 2 Year Free Replacement
SPECIFICATIONS
BCI Group Size:
26R
Cold Cranking Amperage:
575 A
Cranking Amperage:
720 A
Height:
7.75 in
Length:
8.187 in
Negative Terminal Location:
Top Left
Positive Terminal Location:
Top Right
Reserve Capacity:
81 min
Terminal Type:
Top Mount
Voltage:
12.0 VDC
Weight:
28.41 lb
Width:
6.812 in

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.