The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Senate Bill 561 and House Bill 309 are currently making their way through the Texas State Legislature, with the aim to eliminate front license plate requirements:

Code:
	81R5688 JD-D

By: Jackson, Mike 	S.B. No. 561

A BILL TO BE ENTITLED

AN ACT
  	relating to the number of license plates to be issued for and
  	displayed on a motor vehicle.
  	       BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF TEXAS:
  	       SECTION 1.   Subchapter A, Chapter 502, Transportation Code,
  	is amended by adding Section 502.010 to read as follows:
  	       Sec. 502.010.  ISSUANCE AND DISPLAY OF LICENSE PLATE. (a)
  	Notwithstanding anything in this code to the contrary, including
  	Section 502.180, the department shall issue only one license plate
  	for attachment at the rear of the vehicle for which the plate is
  	issued.
  	       (b)  Notwithstanding anything in this code to the contrary,
  	including Section 502.404(a), a person is entitled to operate on a
  	public highway a vehicle that displays only one license plate if the
  	plate is attached at the rear of the vehicle.  A person may operate
  	on a public highway a vehicle that displays two license plates if
  	both plates were assigned by the department for the registration
  	period as a set of plates.
  	       (c)  In any provision of this code that relates to the
  	issuance or display of "license plates," "plates," or a "set of
  	plates," the term means only one license plate.
  	       SECTION 2.  The change in law made by this Act regarding the
  	issuance of license plates by the Texas Department of
  	Transportation applies only to the issuance of license plates by
  	the department for a registration period beginning on or after the
  	effective date of this Act. For a registration period that begins
  	before the effective date of this Act, the department shall issue
  	license plates as required by the law in effect immediately before
  	the effective date of this Act, and the former law is continued in
  	effect for that purpose.
  	       SECTION 3.  This Act takes effect September 1, 2009.
It's simple to email your Texas State Legislators:

Follow this link and enter your street address, then click the links leading directly to the websites of your two Texas State Senators and two Texas State Representatives.

Each of their websites includes a prominent email link to a form in which you can enter your contact information and a message. Here's what I sent:

SB561 - Front License Plate Requirements

I'd like to express my support for SB 561's provision not to require front license plates on Texas automobiles.

I drive a Lotus Elise, a lightweight mid-engined sportscar which received a Federal Bumper Exemption for import in 2005. It provides no bumper support structure and only enough clearance for a narrow european-style license plate - a federal license plate would either be torn off by minimal ground clearance or cause overheating by blocking front radiator intakes. Fortunately, all police officers to date have been understanding of my circumstances and let me go without citation, but I cannot rely on always encountering someone so reasonable.

Law enforcement has a long-established record of performing admirably with only rear license plates on motor vehicles, and front license plates offer no substantial benefits to established regulatory systems, while requiring extra expense and considerable inconvenience to many vehicles on the road.

Please support SB 561 in the spirit of minimal regulation and fair enforcement.

Feel free to copy or modify my message at your discretion - for my Texas State Representatives, I simply substituted HB 309 in lieu of SB 561. It's not much, but if a few filling out a few web forms helps eliminate the front plate requirement in Texas, I think it's worth doing.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Good info and good letter. Thanks!

Will<--the guy who took you to the gas station!

·
Registered
807 Posts
you'd think with all the budget problems, this type of legislation would be a good cost cutting measure for the state of california. keep reg fees and such the same but only issue ONE license plate.

but all those cities that installed red light cameras will have issue with this because of the potential for "lost revenue".

'gotta spend money to make money' holds true for government too, i guess :shrug:

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
Brown keeps introducing this and keeps getting shot down - kudos to the guy for trying!
:clap:

·
Premium Member
705 Posts
Focusing on savings to the taxpayer is going to get you a lot further than "I drive a Lotus and it does not have room for a front plate..."

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Will<--the guy who took you to the gas station!
...thanks again for the rescue!..

...my letter was hastily composed and sent in a fifteen-minute break between projects, and isn't intended to be a particularly compelling treatise analysing the benefits and costs associated with front plate usage; merely a quick note of support...

...regardless, my knowledge of political machinery is negligible - apparently there are only one state senator and one state representative for each district, but the search function returns listings for all districts which happen to fall within one's ZIP code...i doubt it hurts to send the letter to everyone listed, though...

·
Registered
566 Posts
No, all the red light cameras around here are shot from the back of the car. They use a flash camera...If it was in front it could potentially blind someone, they are very bright when they flash.

·
Mulholland>SCC
2,532 Posts
Focusing on savings to the taxpayer is going to get you a lot further than "I drive a Lotus and it does not have room for a front plate..."
lol.

No, all the red light cameras around here are shot from the back of the car. They use a flash camera...If it was in front it could potentially blind someone, they are very bright when they flash.
Here, they have to prove who was driving the car therefore take the picture from the front. They get a good shot of your face that way. Don't know about night time though. I don't make a habit of running red lights. :shrug:

·
Registered
114 Posts
Does anyone know if the bills to eliminate the front license plate got passed or still in progress?

·
Registered
821 Posts
last time it went through that I remember it was shot down. I just got 2 plates for my ranger when I bought it. so I assume its still illegal to drive my lotus. oops.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
...someone over on ferrarichat posted that the bill never made it out of committee...

·
Registered
821 Posts
...someone over on ferrarichat posted that the bill never made it out of committee...
Sounds about right. every so often it gets brought up, and just as quickly shot down.

I expect to be pulled over for violating it on my road trip next week.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Just think how much money can be MADE from fines for not having a front plate tho.. Might more than offset the cost of printing an "extra"..

I've not have a front plate on my Infinity since I got it.. so far so good.. :D

(knock on particle wood board)

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
I think more and more states will probably start requiring front plates in the next few years. Many local police departments are starting to use the automatic license plate scanning system in their patrol cars. It scans the license plates of cars in front of them AND cars driving the opposite direction. (for warrants, stolen cars, expired tags etc...)

The system is only 50% as effective if cars have no front plates.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ENGY1CD9y_4&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ENGY1CD9y_4&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Am I the only one who thinks that the law isn't respectable enough to deserve to be enforced with tactics that powerful? I can understand using a system like that for thieves, murderers, and other people who commit basic criminal violations but it's too easy to break the law these days (we all do it every day) and I would not want to be held to account for each of those violations.

If I had a ticket for every time I exceeded the speed limit, drove without a front plate, etc, I probably wouldn't be able to pay it off in my lifetime.

On the other hand, as Thomas Jefferson said, the best way to get rid of bad laws is to enforce them as vigorously as possible.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Am I the only one who thinks that the law isn't respectable enough to deserve to be enforced with tactics that powerful? I can understand using a system like that for thieves, murderers, and other people who commit basic criminal violations but it's too easy to break the law these days (we all do it every day) and I would not want to be held to account for each of those violations.

If I had a ticket for every time I exceeded the speed limit, drove without a front plate, etc, I probably wouldn't be able to pay it off in my lifetime.

On the other hand, as Thomas Jefferson said, the best way to get rid of bad laws is to enforce them as vigorously as possible.
Law enforcement officers have become revenue collectors for cities/counties/states. The cameras help them track down more "sources of revenue" (expired tags) than they'd be able to do with manpower alone.

·
Super Moderator
5,459 Posts

Another way to look at it is if your car was stolen would you be happy if it was recovered because it was spotted using such a system??

1 - 20 of 52 Posts