The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. Here's the deal. Looking for input on building an ASP car from scratch. There are a few rules. The clams cannot be modified and the car needs to be able to return to stock condition in the future.

THE CAR:
2007 Exige S
Track Pack
LSD
Ohlins D/A dampers

Questions:
Spring rates?
Wheel/Tire Options?
Brake pads?
Power mods? ECU? Header? Exhaust?
Clutch?
Sway Bars?
Other ASP legal stuff?
Alignment?

I've read Randy's article but it seems he's still on the fence on some setup stuff. Assume cost-no-object.

Thanks!
Derek

·
Registered
191 Posts
Spring rates?
Stick with the Lotus Sport Ohlins springs or go with some slightly higher rates from hypercoil. What's the I/D? 1 7/8"? I have 475/600 on Nitrons right now, but 2.25" I/D springs are readily available in various rates and lengths. The Penskes have a lot of development time, but are pricey.

Wheel/Tire Options?
There are many options. There are two thoughts here. You can try and stay near the stock tire diameters or go with shorter tires (think gearing issues). In stock-ish diameters: (Assuming Hoosier tires) 17x9/9.5 rear (245/40), 17x8 (225/40) or 15x8 (225/45) front; 16x9/9.5 rear (245/45), 15x8/9 front (225/45); 18x9/10 rear (245/35 or 285/30), 15x9/10 front (225/45 or 275/35). In shorter diameters: 15x9/10/10.5 rear (275/35), 15x9/10/10.5 front (225/45 or 275/35). My first test will be with 15x10.5 rear (275) and 15x8or9 front (225) in early May.

Brake pads?
Lotus Sport pads are good, stock pads are good, pagid blacks are good but need a lap to heat up.

Power mods? ECU? Header? Exhaust?
Yes. Lose the cat. Tune for 100 octane or E85. Port match intake and exhaust manifolds (within 1" of union). Better intercooler (A/W?). Light exhaust (diffuser exit or be creative)

I've beat on the stock clutch with hundreds of hard starts and it's held up well, but that's N/A. Any of the aftermarket options will give more confidence. I've got an ACT HD (And fidanza flywheel) ready to go in when my motor is put back in the car.

Sway Bars?
Stock trackpack bar or slightly stiffer. If you can get a rear bar on there you're a wizard.

Other ASP legal stuff?
Light battery. Pull stereo/speakers. Run a Moroso oil pan or accusump or do something to the stock pan to help oil pickup on sustained G loads.

Alignment?
Maybe some offset bushings to get some more (-) camber in front, rear has plenty of adjustability.

IMO, the Exige S should be able to nearly destroy ASP with minimal mods and even just stock sized Hoosiers. A built one will be a monster and, driven well, will be hard to beat.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
The Letter A and then Street Prepared. There are ASP, BSP, CSP, etc.

ASP has the theoretical fastest cars for SP classes. Z-06, Porsche GT3, Viper, Lotus.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Just buy one of these........
You'll run ASP for sure.....rotfl
<-------------------------------

(sorry, I couldn't resist)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All great info and I have read Randy's thread several times. After all the sorting and testing he seemed to think there was more setup needed.

A spare set of clams for $8k is not part of the budget and I'm not convinced it's needed.

Keep the info coming.....

-Derek

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
I think you can run pretty large tires without cutting the clams, but you will need stiffer springs too. Still not sure what the ultimate tire size is going to end up, that will be more testing. I will be curious as to what Sean finds out.

I think otherwise, my ex-car was very close. It handles like it is on rails. And there is a lot of power. Next step was E-85 fuel and a new EFI tune for the E-85.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Randy,
You probably know this but E85 is very corrosive....are there any fuel rail/injector/pump changes needed for our motor?

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
According to Lotus there are a couple of changes needed. Eventually.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I think you can run pretty large tires without cutting the clams, but you will need stiffer springs too. Still not sure what the ultimate tire size is going to end up, that will be more testing. I will be curious as to what Sean finds out.

I think otherwise, my ex-car was very close. It handles like it is on rails. And there is a lot of power. Next step was E-85 fuel and a new EFI tune for the E-85.
This year I am going with 15x8.5 fronts with 225/25-15s and 15x10.5" rears with 275/35-15's.

The advantage to this is that you don't have to cut anything. With 285-18 rears you have to cut unless you want to rub or jack the car up, neither of which are any good.

I think the 275 front, 285 rear does not have enough stagger.

The bad thing I have noticed after going with the lower diameter 275 rears is that it seems to screw up my traction control on bumpy courses. Go over bumps and the traction control activates and won't turn off. It killed half my runs today.

I have an EFI ECU which should eliminate this problem but it is having issues running the car.

My ASP setup:

Penske shocks
Hypercoil springs
FF race header
2ubular exhaust which I will have to modify to meet my local sound regs
Light weight rotors
Pagid pads
Keizer 15x8.5 fronts / 15x10.5 rears
Hoosier A6 225 fronts and 275 rears
EFI ecu
Water injection
Chococar side intercooler scoops. Allows removal of hardtop without affecting intercooler airflow.
Voltfreaks battery

Weighed in at 1940 lbs.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I beleive you can use any cross drilled or slotted rotor that is of the same configuration and dimensions. So you can't use two-peice rotors.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This year I am going with 15x8.5 fronts with 225/25-15s and 15x10.5" rears with 275/35-15's.

The advantage to this is that you don't have to cut anything. With 285-18 rears you have to cut unless you want to rub or jack the car up, neither of which are any good.

I think the 275 front, 285 rear does not have enough stagger.

The bad thing I have noticed after going with the lower diameter 275 rears is that it seems to screw up my traction control on bumpy courses. Go over bumps and the traction control activates and won't turn off. It killed half my runs today.

I have an EFI ECU which should eliminate this problem but it is having issues running the car.

My ASP setup:

Penske shocks
Hypercoil springs
FF race header
2ubular exhaust which I will have to modify to meet my local sound regs
Light weight rotors
Pagid pads
Keizer 15x8.5 fronts / 15x10.5 rears
Hoosier A6 225 fronts and 275 rears
EFI ecu
Water injection
Chococar side intercooler scoops. Allows removal of hardtop without affecting intercooler airflow.
Voltfreaks battery

Weighed in at 1940 lbs.

Would finding a car without factory TC be a good idea?
Are the intercooler scoops legal? Been a while since I ran SP.

Derek

·
Registered
494 Posts
You can't get LSD without traction control.

I never had any issue with it until the last 2 events where I was running the 275 rears (smaller diameter).

The intercooler hoses are just taped on and there is no body mods. I can't see how they would be not legal. I asked on SCCAFORUMS and the consensus was that they should be legal.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
You can't get LSD without traction control.
In ASP you can use an LSD without traction control. Doesn't even have to be the LSD that Lotus uses.

Even if your car has the traction control, you can obviously use the button to disable it. So I don't understand why the traction control would give you problems. Does it still kick in after you disable it?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts