The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see SO many threads about how one mod didn't work out so well, or another mod rattles, or some exhaust system cracks the pipes, the list goes on.

My approach is, if Lotus makes it and installs it, I like it.

If something goes wrong, I drive into the dealer with no appointment and say:

"Fix my car NOW"

They do it.

I get a lot of this ::shift:

And none of this: :panic:

Anybody with me?

·
Registered
427 Posts
ME! :clap:

hell... I didn't even trust the "S" model... rotfl

After owning a TT'd built 350z. I will never mod a car like that again. It spent more time in the shop than any sort of enjoyment. My Exige gets me to everywhere I wanna go! It gets me around the track with an unbelievable amount of excitement! My mod list includes 4 point seat belts and the mount on my harness bar for my radar detector... I will not modify this engine nor exhaust! Its perfect for me as it is.

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
Add to that the fact the mods add about 10% - if that - to the resale value. There isn't a worse investment. If someone is mod-happy, let someone else pay for it. Buy used.
I was.....till it blew...then all hell broke lose.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Me personally, resale doesn't matter at all. I buy a car like this to have fun with. This is a hobby to me and resale & how "original" I keep my car has no bearing on my choices. If its fun, its worth every penny, that's my investment. And buying somebody else's "mod work" to me show a lack of care to learn about the car further and create something with your own hands. If a modified car breaks on somebody who didnt even put it together, they are at a huge disadvantage in knowing what the problem could be and how it can be fixed and prevented. Take pride in your car.

Its fine to love your car in its stock form, there is no shame in that, but don't say other people are making stupid purchases towards their car.

·
Not the admin anymore
11,953 Posts
I was....I had mine 2 1/2 years and only removed the sun visors, installed a micro-mirror and had the rear window tinted. I've spent too much money on mods for other cars in my life and knew I'd never recoup anything, so I didn't do anything to the Elise.

·
Registered
912 Posts
That's what is great about a lotus. You can buy a honduh and pour $$$ into it, or you can just but a lotus. Even with bad resale you come out ahead. Plus, Honduh never looks as good as lotus. Not even close.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
These cars are perfect as they roll off the floor in Hethel. No modifications needed. :rolleyes: (Except for the exhaust.)

With the exception of black badges and stage II exhausts, both of my cars are bone stock. I will probably do a reflash eventually. (Factory or otherwise.)

I'm a purist.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I tend to agree with you guys on this. I have a micro mirror, driving lights, a Janspeed stage II exhaust, Bootie, and Chuck Risen's great-looking painted engine covers. That's it. I will probably do Stan's mod on the shifter and maybe a leather console, but I've seen too many pimped out cars with blacked out trim and NOPI stickers all over them to do that to my car. Yuck.

I learned my lesson on my old 240Z I had in college. Racing springs and all kinds of crap that made it a pain to drive on the street. I'm tempted by a supercharger, but the consequences of engine failure and initial cost scare me off.

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
i have the mod bug, so every car i have i end up modding. Cant help it.....and i dont care about the money loss because i enjoy it.

·
Registered
407 Posts
thats why i moved to cars like this, too much money and effort goes into modding. so i moved away from the rice rockets.

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
My car has a shortened shifter, Sector 111 carpet buttons, a garage door remote in the sun visor, and a bootie. Nothing major. I'll have had it four years on Saturday.

Someday I'd like to add a supercharger.

·
Registered
7,245 Posts
True, they come from Hethel with more performance in them than most any of us can touch. But for me, some of the best fun is laying on cardboard over concrete turning bolts and learning more.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
...stock, the federal elise is a pretty good car, but it has three fundamental flaws which i think merit remedy for a more-pure expression of the car's design conceits...
  • those ridiculous fake gills on the back have no place in such a purposeful design
  • the federal exhaust exit completely disrupts the point of the stock diffuser; the original above-diffuser twin exhaust was clearly meant for these cars
  • the stereo is a pitiful joke - either put in something more substantial and suited to the car's design, or get rid of it entirely, but mediocrity has no place in an elise
...other than that, sure, there are several niggling details which could be refined, but stock i think the elise does a pretty good job at expressing everything it was meant to be...

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
I like mods... but any engine mods need to be proven and reliable.

If you are selling a car with mods, it is better to remove the mods and sell them separately as you will recoup more money from them off the car.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I'd probably would do an exhaust mod but after being in a stage II it scares the hell outta me. I ENJOY being able to drive my car to NC from MI and being perfectly comfortable. The exhaust it just right as it is... everything else I would believe would make it way to loud.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts