The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning to install heat wrap this weekend whilst refinishing my wheels and get rid of the ugly "U" heat shield. any recommendations or suggestions, advice, etc.?

I already got black heat wrap, and the high temp sealant. One question i have is if the sealant is necessary on top of the wrap? I'd rather not remove the O2 sensor, so i'll probably just cut if off, unless someone could convince me otherwise....

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
I cut my shield off as well. I also double wrapped mine with 2 layers just to be sure to keep the heat off of that corner of the car. You don't need to use sealant. Over time it will turn grey and then gradually whiten... When it get's to a shade you don't like then just hit it up with some high temp BBQ paint and it'll be nice and black again and last for quite awhile.

Cheers :D

[/IMG]

·
Premium Member
12,195 Posts
IIRC, certain types of heat wrap can shorten life of exh pipe.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I'll try and snap some shots of mine I have my exhaust-decat and headers all wrapped up nicely.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
IIRC, certain types of heat wrap can shorten life of exh pipe.
Yep. The heat wrap can/does trap moisture in the wrap and then when the pipes cool, the moisture condenses out onto the metal causing corrosion. It even gets to stainless steel (although obviously not a badly as with regular steel). The heat cycling of the exhaust just makes it worse.

The best thing to use is ceramic coating - if possible send the pipe out to be coated by someone like Jet-Hot, or such. That will provide the heat protection without the possibility of corroding.

·
shay2nak
25,171 Posts
Mine is ceramic coated black. No heatshield, no wrap.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yep. The heat wrap can/does trap moisture in the wrap and then when the pipes cool, the moisture condenses out onto the metal causing corrosion. It even gets to stainless steel (although obviously not a badly as with regular steel). The heat cycling of the exhaust just makes it worse.

The best thing to use is ceramic coating - if possible send the pipe out to be coated by someone like Jet-Hot, or such. That will provide the heat protection without the possibility of corroding.
I've heard this also, but how do you thermal coat just a portion of a particular part? Seeing as the coating is applied to both the inner and outer surfaces of the steel, how do you go about this for something like a cat?

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
I've heard this also, but how do you thermal coat just a portion of a particular part? Seeing as the coating is applied to both the inner and outer surfaces of the steel, how do you go about this for something like a cat?
You don't have to coat the inside and outside - it actually usually costs more to coat the inside. Coating the inside protects the metal from rusting away better (as well as helping to contain the heat) but isn't necessary. I don't know that you need to coat the cat, most cats have insulation of their own (double housing, heat shields, etc.) but it would seem that you could coat the outside without much problem if you desired. Most people use ceramic coatings for the headers, pipes, etc. - the same things that people tend to want to wrap.

In my case, I have a set of factory Lotus headers on my Elan that have been ceramic coated. That leads to s stainless steel exhaust pipe and into a stainless steel muffler. The ceramic coating greatly reduced the heat next to the engine. It used to be so how with the stock manifold that putting your hand within about 6 inches of the metal would expose it to unbearable heat (as in feels like it was about to cause blister). Now, with the ceramic coated headers, you can actually hold your hand there as long as necessary - I've even accidentally touched the pipe (only for an instant) without getting a burn.

I will never use wraps if I can avoid it, but won't hesitate to get things coated as necessary.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
If you decide to go with the wrap, unroll it first, and tie off one end (on a post, etc.)- It's a lot easier to wrap the header, and you'll be able to pull it tight as you wrap- Also, be sure to get the stainless straps (zip ties)-

I found the narrow wrap works best because of the tight bends on our systems-

·
Puff Daddy
3,874 Posts
I've had a bunch of sport cat pipes coated.

nCoat/HPC has a special process for catalytic converters. They somehow block the inlet/outlet to keep the coating out of the "honeycomb".

There is a world of difference between a proper coating and a wrap job. Who does the coating also plays a big role in how well it works and how long it lasts.

I have one of the first coated PPE headers and my coating still looks like the day I got it back from HPC. The difference it makes is amazing.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I change my exhaust wrap every six months or so as it deteriorates over time. I used the hi-temp aerosol coating once, but determined that I didn't really need it. To secure the wrap, I use stainless steel hose clamps instead of the cheap metal zip ties.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I use exactly what Choi has posted. The spray is really durable. My racing boots haven't even scratched the coating on my race pipe. I sprayed the pipe, wrapped it (secured with safety wire), then sprayed the wrap. Works great. Holds up well.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i've also used HPC coatings on a set of SS headers for my Z. I had them dropped shipped right from the supplier with no hiccups (for once). They did both the inner and outer surfaces for a phenomenal price, although i can't remember what it was anymore. But, Tim, w.r.t. what you're saying, I've heard that to properly coat a piece you have to coat both the inner and outer surfaces. From what i understood, ceramic/thermal coatings work because they funnel heat away from the metal. Coating the outside would trap the heat in the part, which would degrade the steel over time probably faster than using simply a heat shield or even heat wrap. I was also under the impression that condensation buildup was a secondary concern to this. I guess my final question would be, why would heat wrap be any worse than the heat shield thats currently there, as this would appear to "function" the same as the wrap, or coating the exterior of the piece?

1 - 20 of 73 Posts