The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let's talk about steaks. I'm not a great cook, but for some reason manage to whip up a decent slice of meat when I can cook and play with fire at the same time (read: grilling).

Soo.. Now that summer's coming around & the grill is coming out of hibernation, what's your favorite way to prepare a steak on the grill?

Me? I'm pretty simple... depending on the cut, I do a marinade of soy, ginger, & jalapenos (maybe some brown sugar); or teriyak; or light salt/pepper rub (if it's a better cut of meat); or sometimes a random concoction of store-bought marinade(s). Then throw 'em on a HOT grill (that was just rubbed with olive oil to prevent sticking - force of habit more than necessity) which I immediately turn down to just above medium. 5-7 minutes a side depending on thickness & stop when the finger test says medium-rare-ish. If the steaks weren't soaking in a marinade, I'll toss a sliver of butter on 'em while they're on the grill (mmm... healthy :D).

I base all this on little more than trial/error which made me wonder how other people do it. So... what's your secret?

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
One thing I'll never understand is why people go to a steakhouse to buy a steak. It's the easiest thing in the world to cook for 1/4 the price at home.

I'm a traditional kind of guy, a little oil, kosher salt and black pepper. In the winter, nothing beats throwing them in a smoking hot cast iron skillet, browning each side and finishing in a 500 degree oven. Add some mushrooms or blue cheese on top.:drool:

When the weather gets better, all I care about is that real hardwood charcoal is used.

Oh, and if it's cooked more than medium rare, there's no point in cooking it at all.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
See latest issue of Cook's Illustrated (on stands now).

The article is "Perfectly grilled ribeyes" or some such.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Ribeye, salt, pepper and garlic powder cooked over a hot grill of lump charcoal with chunks of mesquite or hickory tossed in. Yummy.......

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
:sad::sad:
I wish I could eat steaks. I can eat bananas. Sad bananas.
:sad::sad:

When I used to eat steaks, it was a simple salt/pepper rub. A bit of butter. Pop on a hot grill, turn quickly to seal it. Cook 5-10 minutes per side depending on thickness. Not a big fan of much else on it.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts

:panic:

·
Registered
213 Posts
When I used to eat steaks, it was a simple salt/pepper rub. A bit of butter. Pop on a hot grill, turn quickly to seal it. Cook 5-10 minutes per side depending on thickness. Not a big fan of much else on it.
PERFECT! :wave:

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Ribeye, salt, pepper and garlic powder cooked over a hot grill of lump charcoal with chunks of mesquite or hickory tossed in. Yummy.......
+1 - medium rare always - and always grilled over hard wood, there just is no other acceptable way ....... anybody who says pan fried with a lump of butter on top gets a :thwack:

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
On the grill -- 2" thick tenderloin.

Preheat grill (I have a gas grill plumbed to my home natural gas line)

Cook about 5 minutes each side (about 400F) to sear

Baste with Jack Daniels or KC BBQ sauce after surface is seared

Turn 2 times after that, apply more BBQ sauce each turn... using temperature probe to watch internal temperature

Remove when internal temperature reaches about 142F (medium-rare... medium).

Let cooked meat "rest" 3 to 5 minutes.

Yummy!

·
Registered
622 Posts
I'm on a bison kick lately, tenderloin or rib-eye, medium rare. Only on the BBQ which is smokin' hot(+500f). A little s&p on both sides and throw them on. Turn 90 degrees for pretty marks and only flip them once when the juices appear on the top side. BBQ sauce goes on the last minute on the last side only.

BBQ season is 12 months long, just need to put on a jacket and gloves in the dead of winter. Nothing taste better than a BBQ steak in the middle of winter.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
One thing I'll never understand is why people go to a steakhouse to buy a steak. It's the easiest thing in the world to cook for 1/4 the price at home.

I'm a traditional kind of guy, a little oil, kosher salt and black pepper. In the winter, nothing beats throwing them in a smoking hot cast iron skillet, browning each side and finishing in a 500 degree oven. Add some mushrooms or blue cheese on top.:drool:

When the weather gets better, all I care about is that real hardwood charcoal is used.

Oh, and if it's cooked more than medium rare, there's no point in cooking it at all.
I go to the steak houses b/c its on the company's dime! Also they usually use grills that can get A LOT hotter than what we can get at home.

At a nice place I always order rare. Cant stand and carbon on my steaks. Have no idea why people even eat steak when they order well done butterfly.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
First, like you say you can make a steak at home, if I eat out I'd rather have a sauce or something that was prepared by some method that took 16 hours that I'm not about to do. That being said, you will never ever find the steaks served in the TOP TOP steak houses (and I don't mean Ruth's Chris) at your local market, or even a small gourmet market. They all go to those restaurants, I can't even get them for mine. So, like that $300 bottle of wine. Once in a "great" while it is worth the $52 (sides not included).

Been cooking kangaroo steaks (seriously), olive oil, season salt and pepper they cook up real nice just like steak. (though they are purple raw, a little freaky at first). If anyone is interested hop on over to my restaurant. If that's too weird for you I'm making a great turtle chili.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts