The Lotus Cars Community banner

101 - 110 of 110 Posts

·
Banned
938 Posts
i wouldnt dare putting a harley part on a esprit. that just sounds like the worst idea ever lol.
No!
This is worse!
Would you ever fly in an airplane made by Harley -Davidson!?

·
Registered
136 Posts
OMG surely the FAA does not recognize or certify that legal for flight. Im probably one of the biggest harley haters of them all. A buddy of mine who likes to try and hotrod his wore out the crankshaft in his last one at 50k miles. YES WORE IT OUT. I could almost see that as acceptable in a jap bike turning 20krpm but wow that is just sad. Appearantly that's not all that out of the ordinary either. It's just most people dont daily their bike so seeing 50k on the motor will almost never happen.

I heard harley wanted to use ngk plugs but ngk wouldnt debadge ngk from the plugs and only put harley on them. So harley said nope not using your plugs.

·
Registered
252 Posts
OMG...I wonder what the average life expectancy of a Hogair test pilot would be. Someone should make a movie and call it "The Wrong Stuff".

I can't help but remember the (AMF) days when the dealers would keep trays of kitty litter under the bikes on the showroom floor to catch the oil. Yes, they've gotten better but I just don't see the point of making something so deliberately low-tech/low-performance/low-reliability for the sake of some quaint tradition.
Worse yet are the people that take a bad design and build custom bikes based on it. Seems like anyone with a Harbor-Freight MIG welder is building those things lately. Just slap something together with no front brake, no suspension and frame geometry that contradicts all known positive handling traits. As long as it has a huge rear tire, at least a couple of skulls and plenty of sharp things to impale yourself on in the inevitable event of an accident it must be cool.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Just slap something together with no front brake, no suspension and frame geometry that contradicts all known positive handling traits. As long as it has a huge rear tire, at least a couple of skulls and plenty of sharp things to impale yourself on in the inevitable event of an accident it must be cool.
this is the single best thing I've read on the internet in a long time.

·
Banned
938 Posts
indeed well said. and we've gotten this thread way off topic. :shrug:
No. Its only because the belt has skipped a few cogs. Its still running but not on everyones car.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Not true, the 249 design is an evolution. It has greater contact with the base of the pulley groove, thereby having less shear to the belt teeth. The whole intent of the design.

·
Super Moderator
4,119 Posts
The original Lotus OEM belt is 26.4mm wide, while the similar industry standard belt width is 25.4mm... that's a nice, round 1.0 inch wide, and 1mm narrower than the Lotus belt.
[snip]
Also, I'm not certain the Gates Blue belt's width has been published. It's not a "Lotus" belt, and it may have been made to Gate's standard width. Just a thought. Anyone care to measure theirs? Regardless, it's still the strongest belt available.

Regards,
Tim Engel
2 years late, but hey, *cough* my friend just bought a new Gates blue belt from JAE and I found my 40K service blue belt and measured it - 23.8mm or 0.94 inches. Not even 1" wide, let alone 26.4mm Lotus OEM width.

The belt, according to my mechanic was adjusted to ~45 degrees of deflection (not Cricket or ultrasonic device used) and I drove it for 40K miles with no extra wear on the valve train, etc. The tension was checked at 18K miles and was found to be the same.

It was replaced with another blue belt, but 10K miles later, the car was totalled in an accident.

Here's the belt width measured - notice the JAE logo:

101 - 110 of 110 Posts