The Lotus Cars Community banner

Would you buy an electric car from Lotus?

• Yes I will, I think it will be a good product that will continue to follow Lotus DNA.

Votes: 10 45.5%
  • No, I will not buy an electric car from Lotus , I think Lotus will veer off its DNA.

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • Not sure if I want an electric car from Lotus, will wait and see what they bring to the table.

Votes: 10 45.5%
  • No because it will veer from manual transmission, a Lotus track DNA.

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if it was discussed before but after some discussions with racers friends who own shops and some members on here about the future of Lotus, we were discussing Lotus plans to go fully electric with their cars, so wanted to gage how many of us , me included, are willing to buy an electric car from Lotus, keep in mind you will not have manual tranny a big part of the Lotus DNA.
By 2030, the US plans to have almost half of the cars on the road to be electric, but at present only less than 1% of the almost 250 million cars, trucks and SUV are so. Do you see the US and other countries creating an infrastructure to handle such a great demand? if they do, are you willing to buy an electric model and do you feel that Lotus is capable of offering an electric product that meets their customer's base ethos?

·
Administrator
13,524 Posts
My take from what Matt said at LOG41 was the recently approved Type 135 would be produced in Hethel and the SUV in China

·
Administrator
13,524 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If Hethel makes a good light weight electric sports car, not Wuhan, then I will consider it, but it won't replace my gas powered Lotus.
Come on big Dog, I'm putting a Dyson hand blower to hear that motor roar 🤣 the irony is, Tesla started with an Elise...o_O

·
purveyor of lightness
4,278 Posts
Here's what Lotus needs to do...

Size the Type 135 sports car to fit in between the Emira and Exige V6... let's say 165" x 72" x 45" tall with a wheelbase of 96.5" (LEVA 2450mm).
Motor... 469hp (LEVA 350kw)
Weight... less than 1200kg. (2646 lbs.) It needs to achieve this.
Lots of pass-through aero venting as the current lineup provides.
And MOST importantly IMO... a removable (stowable?) targa roof. Does NOT have to be power assisted.
Price this under $90k and I'm in like Flynn. :cool:

Modelling this in CarTest2000 I see these performance numbers (with gearing to 180mph max):
0-60: 2.96
0-100: 5.93
0-130: 9.59
1/4 mile: 10.59 @ 135.18 mph

That's entry/midrange McLaren and Ferrari territory.

·
Premium Member
9,479 Posts
Adapt or be left behind....not a fan of becoming obsolete so I guess I will adapt. I've gotten over not feeding the horse hay and getting gas, guess I can learn to plug in. Give me range or gas up time charging and my long distance hauler WILL be electric. Electric fits the mold here with quiet smooth power delivery.

·
Premium Member
9,479 Posts
Here's what Lotus needs to do...

Size the Type 135 sports car to fit in between the Emira and Exige V6... let's say 165" x 72" x 45" tall with a wheelbase of 96.5" (LEVA 2450mm).
Motor... 469hp (LEVA 350kw)
Weight... less than 1200kg. (2646 lbs.) It needs to achieve this.
Lots of pass-through aero venting as the current lineup provides.
And MOST importantly IMO... a removable (stowable?) targa roof. Does NOT have to be power assisted.
Price this under $90k and I'm in like Flynn. :cool:

Modelling this in CarTest2000 I see these performance numbers (with gearing to 180mph max):
0-60: 2.96
0-100: 5.93
0-130: 9.59
1/4 mile: 10.59 @ 135.18 mph

That's entry/midrange McLaren and Ferrari territory.
So you think they will produce an electric vehicle lighter than an ICE model?? You must be smoking some serious Sativa.

• Love
Reactions: darkSol

·
Premium Member
2,416 Posts
My take:

Believe I heard Matt say they eventually plan to sell 100k vehicles annually, 90k SUV's and 10k sports cars, all EV. Aggressive, but with the huge China/Asia market who knows what is possible.

Presumably the SUV's are built in China (hard to think of those as anything but Lotus-badged Geely's) and the sports cars at Hethel. Fine.

Why not make 60~80% of the sports cars ICE or hybrid instead of all EV? Opens up a market segment they appear to be abandoning. Also keeps the racing connection alive, maybe even strengthens it.

Side note: recent British car show I attended the awards presenter said he'd done his part to reduce energy grid consumption and protect the environment by going around unplugging Tesla's that were charging. 😳🤣 Quite commendable...

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
If Elon Musk can essentially electrify an Elise back in 2008, (that weighed in at 2,723lbs) I don't see any reason why Lotus can't use the same formula (albeit a bit heavier). Its not a mater of if, but when they put out an electric sports car (that people can afford).
Not everyone is a track junkie, nor wants a 4-door/SUV, and electric cars haul ass.
Whoever comes out with a reasonably priced "mid engine" electric sports car is going to make a killing, or alt least make a car that many would want (like me). - I'd keep my Elise and enjoy having a quick electric car for commuting,.etc.

·
6.94915254 lbs/hp
2,120 Posts
I’m in for an EV Lotus as long as they can make it dynamic, pure steering, great handling, and lighter than the competition.
It’s like how I prefer the Taycan over the Model S because the Taycan handles better… not that I could afford either lol!

·
Premium Member
5,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Adapt or be left behind....not a fan of becoming obsolete so I guess I will adapt. I've gotten over not feeding the horse hay and getting gas, guess I can learn to plug in. Give me range or gas up time charging and my long distance hauler WILL be electric. Electric fits the mold here with quiet smooth power delivery.
That is quite the issue with me, if I don't adapt I'll be driving my GT until I die, not a bad thing anyways...

·
Premium Member
5,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
So you think they will produce an electric vehicle lighter than an ICE model?? You must be smoking some serious Sativa.
It would be amazing if they could pull this off, I can hear the slogan already "drop some cells off and add lightness" :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts