The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First up, let me say that the Letsla shifter installation is much easier than I thought. The only part I had to "fit" was that peg that holds the plastic slider into the cross-gate slot. It was slightly too large and wouldn't fit into that grove. But other than that, it was very straight forward, just follow the instructions. An easy 3 out of 10..

When I went for my test drive, I felt a mushiness in 1st, 3rd and 5th. Reverse felt like I was pushing thru some jell-0. What was happening was that the rubber boot was bunching up when the shifter cable was fully retracted on (engine side). I pushed the rubber boot down on the aluminum "sleeve protector" and it felt better but still not right. So I just took the sleeve protector out and now it feels like a million bucks.

So my question is, do we need these "Sleeve protectors"? I kept the one on the cross gate but removed the one for the shifter. I double checked the instructions to make sure I didn't reverse them but I'm pretty sure I got them right.

Thanks
Ken 06 Exige

P.s. The Letsla shifter takes out 90% of the slop from the stock shifter. Its feeling even more positive the more I drive it. I think there is a slight break in with all the bearing and what not.

·
Premium Member
4,135 Posts
I left them out too.

Did the install with SSC cables at the same time and a bottle of syncromesh in the gearbox helps too. I also did the shifter housing mod.

Those 4 together work wonders. Some may differ on the Letsla mod but I love it.

I'm still a screw up and have a miss shift once in a while on the track trying to blip and brake at the same time but I attribute it to my inexperience. To me its hard than flying a helicopter.

When I really notice it though is when I drive my wife's unmolested Elise once in a while.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I left them out too.

Did the install with SSC cables at the same time and a bottle of syncromesh in the gearbox helps too. I also did the shifter housing mod.

Those 4 together work wonders. Some may differ on the Letsla mod but I love it.

I'm still a screw up and have a miss shift once in a while on the track trying to blip and brake at the same time but I attribute it to my inexperience. To me its hard than flying a helicopter.

When I really notice it though is when I drive my wife's unmolested Elise once in a while.
Thanks.. I may take off the cross-gate sleeve protector. And one last tip, just put the shifter cable on the shortest throw. It feels so much better than even the 2nd shortest. I think I'm gonna leave the cross-gate cable in the middle. I like some separation between the gates.

And for anyone on the fence, the Letsla gets rid of almost all of the slop in the lotus shifter. It reminds me of the S2k shifter on the shortest throw..

Ken 06 Exige

1 - 4 of 4 Posts