The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've had the kit in the car for about 2 hours now. The improvement is impressive in terms of precision and solidness (solidity?). I no longer feel like the shifter is connected to a transmission a hundred feet away.

There are several adjustments for throw. Mine is at the second shortest. I'm dealing with a fairly troublesome rotator cuff issue, so for the time being the effort at the shorter throw settings is a bit more than my shoulder cares to deal with.

So I'll be setting them to the stock throw until the shoulder is back to normal. Later, going with the short shift. First few times through the gears had to get used to not shifting through the current throw points.

Note, I'm not a competition user (except will autocross once in awhile) so my feedback is not based on track level use, but I did run it hard through the gears a few times.

VERY glad to have this in the car!!!

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I've had the kit in the car for about 2 hours now. The improvement is impressive in terms of precision and solidness (solidity?). I no longer feel like the shifter is connected to a transmission a hundred feet away.

There are several adjustments for throw. Mine is at the second shortest. I'm dealing with a fairly troublesome rotator cuff issue, so for the time being the effort at the shorter throw settings is a bit more than my shoulder cares to deal with.

So I'll be setting them to the stock throw until the shoulder is back to normal. Later, going with the short shift. First few times through the gears had to get used to not shifting through the current throw points.

Note, I'm not a competition user (except will autocross once in awhile) so my feedback is not based on track level use, but I did run it hard through the gears a few times.

Thanks for the great information! I'm watching to see how effective this is before putting down the money (I have to pick and choose my mods due to low funds). Have you done anything else (other mods to the shifter from Sector 111 or Stan's mod) that you have in addition to this? Also, based on your description, does the shifting action require a lot more effort as you set it for shorter throws? Thanks in advance!!!!

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
...my stock transmission is pretty rough already - it often takes a deliberate shifting effort, especially under high-performance conditions, and occasionally grinds into a missed shift if i'm not very careful...the original owner apparently never changed the transmission fluid, as it came out a dismal opaque black last month...

...would you say the shifting effort is increased enough that i shouldn't consider this kit before i've replaced my transmission at some point in the indeterminate not-so-near future?..

·
Registered
6,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
...my stock transmission is pretty rough already - it often takes a deliberate shifting effort, especially under high-performance conditions, and occasionally grinds into a missed shift if i'm not very careful...the original owner apparently never changed the transmission fluid, as it came out a dismal opaque black last month...

...would you say the shifting effort is increased enough that i shouldn't consider this kit before i've replaced my transmission at some point in the indeterminate not-so-near future?..
If you were to get this kit, you'd probably want to initially set it to the longest throw (stock) and therefore minimize effort. You'll still get the more precise feel of the overall assembly. Once you get your tranny issues straightened out, you can adjust the throw/effort.

Other question: did I install? Nope. I 'helped,' uh somewhat. My shoulder injury pretty much limits my ability to get into the engine bay and do the gyrations needed to get my hands down to the mounting points for the kit, so Troy was nice enough to install it. He also wanted to do it to see how much different the install on an Exige would be, given the I/C and related plumbing.

·
Registered
6,226 Posts
Great to know the result of the mod :clap:, but please advise: What do you mean need more effort at shorter throw setting? Do you mean need more force to shift or else? If so, how much force more?

Did you have original engine mount or need harder engine mount?

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Instructions

do tell more about the install.........how long? good instructions? difficulty? tricks and shortcuts........I ordered mine last week so I am looking forward to getting this mod

·
Registered
6,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
do tell more about the install.........how long? good instructions? difficulty? tricks and shortcuts........I ordered mine last week so I am looking forward to getting this mod
As I said, Troy did the install. It looked pretty straightforward. The I'C tube had to come off my car to get adequate access to the area.

Patience is the key, the space is tight.

Took about an hour, 'cause we got sidetracked a couple of times on other things. I believe a guy came by later with his elise and the install for his took about a half hour.

·
Registered
751 Posts
This is really getting interesting now.

Any pics snagged during the install? I'm just curious to see how it all hooks up, what has to be removed, etc. And I want to know if this mod can negatively effect the transmission? I've only ever used short-throw kits in my other cars. I don't know what the pitfalls could be from changing the geometry at the linkage.

Is an install doc out yet for this kit?

·
Registered
232 Posts

Any pics snagged during the install? I'm just curious to see how it all hooks up, what has to be removed, etc. And I want to know if this mod can negatively effect the transmission? I've only ever used short-throw kits in my other cars. I don't know what the pitfalls could be from changing the geometry at the linkage.

Mine is on the way. I'll post pics of the install and put a stop watch on.

·
Registered
6,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Nope, didn't take any pix. Pretty difficult to see down in there as it is w/out a camera in your hand!

The only thing we removed (other than the stock linkage) was one intercooler tube.

Not a bad idea to take the belly pan off for the inevitable dropped bits.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I would like to try to answer some of the questions.

On the feel of more effort. I have been driving around with mine for over a month now so I have gotten so used to it I kindoff forget how long and loose the stock throw was and the little bit of extra effort it takes. Basically more effort is that it takes more effort to pull and push the shifter forward and back for changing gears. So if you feel your shifter, when engine warm, and it feels easy if you have half the throw it will be twice as hard, but the stock shifter is so easy it is not a big deal. This is not a big deal and something you will get used to pretty quickly. Also, when the trans is cold it is more evident than warm. Now if you want the same feel you can set the linkages on the same throw position, but be more precise with the bearings.

I did learn a new trick or two with the install and we redo some of the instructions tomorrow or the next day. I will have some new pictures up soon. I should have taken pics myself, but I was so into the install I totally forgot. First, you do not have to remove the front console at all and that saves time. If you want to and install a stiffener for that area you can, but it is optional.

On the exige S all I needed to do was pull off the one intercooler pipe (U shaped) with two hose clamps. Then it make the access the same as the elise.

I also noticed on the 06 model, as I have the 05, the hose were zip tied together and made access easier.

The first install on the Exige S went well, but I must admit I spent more time hunting for the plastic piece that goes on the end of the crossgate when I dropped it then the install. I also tried to do it before it was fully cooled down and burnt my hand a tiny bit on the cylinder head once. So when you install it make sure you keep on eye on that part when you take out the stock piece as it can get frustrating when lost. Also, if you have a friend with really long arms it comes in super handy, you have no idea how much faster an install can go with it.

On the time frame. I would now say this would take about 1 hour if you taking your time and not rushing at all, assuming you drop a bolt or two and have to fish them out from the undertray and if you have better fingers than my butter fingers I have. I would say only take the undertray off if you drop something and can not find it as the first install we had to do that, but the second today we did not.

Troy

·
Registered
751 Posts
Thx guys. This is quite enticing.

And folks...re: "more effort".... we're talking geometry of levers here. Slotting in a gear takes quite a bit of effort if you are trying to do it from the linkage, for example, instead of the shifter. The shifter adds another lever to the mix. The Lotus shifter is really freakin long, so OEM "effort" is pretty light overall. Install short-throw lever, OR a short-throw linkage and that effort IS going to go up at least a little bit. Over simplifying: Shortening the lever system in any way brings you closer to tying to slot in a gear directly from the linkage.

Im my experience it has always been a pleasant, rewarding, and welcome change in feel. The shifter should not have slop at all. You'd be amazed how much your confidence goes up through the twisties when you know a solid bang to the shifter is all it will take to slot the gear home.

I just want to see some pics so I can look a little bit before I leap. Looking forward to trying this mod!

Looking forward to the pics guys. Thx in advance.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Ok it's been almost two weeks since last post here. I want to see pictures and maybe a video of the shifter in action. I am riveted by this.

·
Registered
6,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok it's been almost two weeks since last post here. I want to see pictures and maybe a video of the shifter in action. I am riveted by this.
My update: I just had the tweaks Troy added to the kit installed, and although I thought the shifter was nice before, it is now operating absolutely perfectly, and feels as the car should've from the factory. The difference is remarkable.

Baysailor, in a similar thread, recounts his experience with his install and Troy making some tweaks to the kit. I echo Baysailor in terms of how this feels. I've still got mine set on the second shortest throw, but shifted Troy's with the shortest throw, both feel great, and there is almost NO extra effort required, maybe none, despite the short throw.

Another Ltalker got his installed today, at the shortest throw. I'm sure he'll post up here, but he is just as happy.

There is another thread about whether to mod the car or leave stock. If I had a stock Elise/Exige and was only going to do one mod, it would be this. It makes that much difference in the driveability of this car.

Great job, Troy. I think you nailed this!

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
There is another thread about whether to mod the car or leave stock. If I had a stock Elise/Exige and was only going to do one mod, it would be this. It makes that much difference in the driveability of this car.

Great job, Troy. I think you nailed this!
Thats what I wanted to read/hear. :clap:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts