The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning on taking a friend for a spin this weekend. He lives in the Lexington, MA area. I used to be somewhat familiar with the area, but not anymore. Are there and fun roads/routes to drive in that area? Please let me know if you have any ideas, because I am clueless. :shrug:

·
Registered
852 Posts
All the roads around there would be great if there werent so many houses! You can definitely tell that the older neighborhoods had roads that were built for horse and carriage because they are all over the damn place! If you get further away from the city towards places like Carlisle then there are better roads, but it has been a couple years so I cant remember any specifics sorry!

·
Registered
443 Posts
For me, its been about 30 years, so for what its worth:

There are no highways near Lexington. They don't believe in traffic control so many roads will go for miles and miles without any traffic lights. I lived in Waltham and worked at Lincoln Laboratory in Lexington, so my commute was simple. I remember that almost any road going anywhere was rural. Make sure you have a detailed road map or you'll disappear.

Caveat -

Drivers in that area are nuts. At an intersection, the road on the right has the right of way. That means the cars entering a highway have the right of way over cars already on the highway. Furthermore, the first car to reach an intersection has the right of way. So, if you're going on one of these long roads with no traffic lights, you might come to an intersection with some piddly dirt road and a vehicle coming from that piddly dirt road has the right of way if it gets on your road before you. Be prepared to stop or slow down!

On a hunch, check out Concord. There is a main road there going to the penitentary, but otherwise its very nice and rural.

You might want to check out Walden Pond. Getting there is half the fun.

Most important, Waltham has a Lotus dealer. I think its on Route 60.

Have fun!

·
Registered
41 Posts
I live in Carlisle, very close to Lexington. I am not even close to ready to bring my car out. The salt is washed away, but there is still sand everywhere here, and the potholes are massive. They have not had a chance to go out and fix them yet. Unless you are really dying to get out there and know where you're going, you are at risk of hitting 4 inch deep potholes everywhere. I will wait another month before I venture out.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Best Roads Guarenteed

Concord and Acton have some great backroads, a little too heavily populated for spirited driving perhaps. Pick any of them off Rte 2. BUT... the best motorcycle/Lotus roads are out in and past the the Brookfields in central Mass. Get on Rte 9 anywhere west of Worcester, Spencer, Leister, Brookfield , North Brookfield, Petersham, New Braintree, all around up there... great roads, lightly populated. I would not steer You wrong. If You don't like these roads I will give You your money back. :shift:

·
Registered
41 Posts
I second mondoribo on the potholes.

A few days ago I took her out around and in Weston. Knowing roads and where the nasty holes are helps.

We live off 117. If you like - give me a pm.

Best - Matthias

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well so much for driving this weekend. 3 days ago the weather forecast was about 50º and partly sunny. Now it's snowing. :mad:

·
Registered
90 Posts
Good Roads Lexington, MA

Lexington and most communities in that area are heavily populated. You should go further west for good driving (and fewer cops). I have had a blast in Harvard and Boxborough (roughly 20+ mi west of Lexington). It snowed for a while today and I second the comments re potholes.

fredkto

·
Registered
62 Posts
I found a few superb roads just off of Rt 9 in Framingham/Southboro. In my experience, the roads in Concord are too frequently patrolled to offer any real fun. As for Lexington, I have found nothing....

·
Super Moderator
3,112 Posts
Start in Lexington. Have dinner at Gibbet Hill in Groton?

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=en&geocode=3512715934531915829,42.470356,-71.234396;14813930508955630354,42.567017,-71.463256;1124389105641591772,42.594907,-71.549096;17074713327198880868,42.607329,-71.558386&saddr=lexington,+ma&[email protected],+-71.234396+to:42.500769,-71.277752+to:Concord+Rd/[email protected],+-71.463256+to:Boston+Rd/RT-119/[email protected],+-71.549096+to:Lowell+Rd/[email protected],+-71.558386&mra=dpe&mrcr=0&mrsp=2&sz=14&via=1,2,3,4&sll=42.49963,-71.232862&sspn=0.055118,0.107803&ie=UTF8&ll=42.527025,-71.365814&spn=0.220375,0.431213&z=12

Minimizes traffic lights and traffic. Among some of the more interesting roads getting you out of Lexington. Stop at Kimball's on the way back.

It works better for me if I have a destination. We usually pick a place for lunch outside of 495 like Fred said where there are fewer people. We did a nice stretch from Marlboro to Carlisle last year that's posted in the event thread.

·
Super Moderator
3,112 Posts
Here's a tip. Buy a GPS Nav unit. Set it for No Highways and Shortest Route. Then pick a point outside of 495. You can find some great roads like that but you can find some bad ones too, especially this time of year where the backroads have more potholes. But, it's not problem. Just skip the road and the Nav will recalculate a different route.

You also find a lot of shortcuts.

Try it with this place and have a good breakfast in a cool locale.

Nancy's Airfield Cafe‎
302 Boxboro Rd, Stow, MA
(978) 897-3934

Let us know when you go.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts