The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The lidbone seems to be the only alternative to the oem stick. But am i the only one who thinks a hoodprop mounting to a vibrating and moving engine wierd? Are there no pneumatics for the elise? No clamhinge responses pls!

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
also interested.

I was thinking of just fabricating something, but never got around to seriously measuring up anything

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
fab up your own using a hatch lift strut... maybe mount it on the side or closer to the rear window so it doesn't get in your way when checking stuff under the lid?

you wouldnt even need prop-rod at all, just pop the lid & watch it slowly glide up without using your hands

·
Dane in Maui
65 Posts
Make two and sell one to me to pay for both.

·
Premium Member
4,117 Posts
Broomstick!

·
Premium Member
434 Posts
I haven't found one drawback to the lidbone.

·
German Reimport
2,953 Posts
There are a few solutions documented on LT.
From lift strut to the collapsing spring (which I thought was ingenious).
Do a search...

·
Registered
605 Posts
Boat window stay

Here is my answer. The spring is stable and supports the lid until you pull the small attached wire and it flexes and loses its rigidity and folds in half and you close the lid. I have had it for years with no rattles and no problem. Also stops you over openning the lid and scratching the duco.

Attachments

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That spring is interesting! It takes advantage of the light weight hood and is lightweight itself. Trying to think of a prettier way to collapse it though

·
Registered
890 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks rw, i've pm'd him

·
Premium Member
706 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,117 Posts
Hells yes Road Dad! But she looks a little plastic......Cherry 2000ish. "Cherry....Go open my lid and get me a Pepsi"

Honestly, the lidbone works great on my wifes Elise but remember the most important part, engine movement........ We have the Poly mounts on her car and don't track it, autocross only. I mounted a go-pro looking aft on my first track day with my Exige and was amazed at how much the engine was moving around.

Anything you attach to the engine is going to flex with it. Perfect example........ http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f3/stop-annoying-twerking-181786/

·
Premium Member
545 Posts
WHO THE HELL IS THAT?!?!
This was the first time I've ever had the need to use a reverse-image search... Thank you tineye!!

Barbara Stoyanoff

https://www.google.com/search?q=bar...gBg&sqi=2&ved=0CCwQsAQ&biw=1920&bih=951&dpr=1

And on-topic, I've been wondering if it was possible to stick a gas strut in there... Thanks! I have a few very light pressure ones I've been saving for something like this. I just fixed my prop rod holder, but still hate the thing. Usually I end up holding it up with my head as I'm loading things in the trunk.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts