The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard that the Lidbone scratches the engine covers. Can I get some input on the truth of this please? Maybe the earlier versions did and posibly changes corrected the problem? Please let me know your experience with one. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
It does scuff the cover over time, but unless it's painted, it's not that bad. And, a new cover is $20? If you've got a painted one, then I'd rethink it. If you try to put anything in between, like padding, that will scuff it too because of the vibration, and general looseness of the lid.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I bought mine in 2008 and yes it just touches the plastic coil cover when closed. It leaves a mark about an inch long. For me it isn't really an issue, especially when considering the convenience that it provides.

·
Super Moderator
6,817 Posts
You can mill a section away from the face that hits the engine cover. While you're at it, install plastic bushings/washers at the pivot points and it will work a lot better.

·
Premium Member
5,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had heard rumors of that. Mine are painted and I guess that is the deciding factor. UNLESS there was a design change that stopped the scraping? I guess that is the open question now.

·
Registered
831 Posts
You can mill a section away from the face that hits the engine cover. While you're at it, install plastic bushings/washers at the pivot points and it will work a lot better.
Yes, it does scratch. And yes, if you wanted to re-engineer it properly it would be a nice product. But as it is, it's not so hot.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Just mill away a bit of the aluminum and cover the edge with some door edge molding

Problem solved.

And as JWA notes, put nylon washers in between all the metal on metal.

A MUST product for the Elise.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have had mine installed for two years with painted covers no scratches or rubs. I did not modify it in anyway.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts