The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would like to tinker over the winter (install Bell stiR and a few other things), need to get the car off the ground.

Other than a full-out lift for around 10k, what options do I have?

TIA!

·
Registered
412 Posts
Other than a full-out lift for around 10k, what options do I have?
You can get a good four-post lift for less than 2K. You can get a fancy one with a sliding hydraulic jack (for removing wheels) for less than 4K. Shop around!

·
Premium Member
2,994 Posts
Look at the Eagle line of lifts. If I was going to buy another, that is the way I would go. They are in Texas. Company that built mine is out of business.

·
Premium Member
2,160 Posts
Atlas from Greg Smith Equipment. 4-post lift with sliding jack ~$3500 delivered and installed.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Watch Craigslist, I was able to get a great 4post ALM professional lift with 2 sliding jacks for $1000 from a local shop that was upgrading. I put about $100 worth of new hydraulic hoses in and have a great lift for short money.
A lot of the lower price 4 post lifts that I have seen are not the strongest looking things out there.
I really like the 4 post with sliding jacks over a 2 post just for the ease of driving on for a fluid change and still have the ability to get all 4 wheels off the ground for suspension work. Also not as much of a concern about the quality of the concrete in your floor with the 4 post.

·
Registered
72 Posts
For those of you who have stacked cars, is your garage 'tall'? Or is it of standard height? I always wondered about garage door open clearances with two cars stacked.

Kind of hard to tell from photos...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Garage ceiling height

You MUST have at least 10' floor to ceiling. And you have to relocate your garage door to high lift configuration (as close to the ceiling as possible) and use a side drive to lift the door. That eliminates the center worm gear and all the motor/drive stuff that hangs down from the ceiling. I have a BendPak HD9 with an RC45 rolling jack, and it's great. With the tracks at their widest, it fits not only the Elise but also my other two (wider) cars.

Look at the lift discussions on the Ford GT Forum for a lot of useful info.

·
Premium Member
2,994 Posts
My garage is 9. I had the garage door tracks extended another foot higher. I had a conventional door opener for the first 15 years, switched to a side mounted one about 6 years ago. I could just put my Elise under my Minicooper.

·
Premium Member
2,160 Posts
12 feet on mine, specifically built that height to accommodate the lift. I use it for winter car storage.

·
Registered
412 Posts
What they said. Look for a "jackshaft" -type garage door opener. An additional advantage is that jackshaft openers tend to be much quieter.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Just installed a Triumph NT9 lift in my garage. 9000lb capacity and only has a post height of 109 inches (for low ceiling garages. Mine is 9'3"). I looked at the maxjack and decided this was a better option. Price is $1655 (including shipping) from Auto Equipment Depot. I had a professional lift company install and I am glad I did. There was no way I would have gotten it right. It took two guys who do this professionally all day to install. Worth every penny. Now I have to organize my garage again!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Just wondering.... where did you get all that Lotus Wall Decor?
Many years of collecting. I've been around for a while :D

1 - 20 of 30 Posts