The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could the type of lift here hurt my car? Ever since I had my oil changed It makes a wierd noise when slowing down and braking. I really should take it in to Criswell to have it looked at but I live so far away :(

Attachments

·
Registered
685 Posts
It's hard to tell, but it does look as though the front is not supported, which suggests that it may not be lifted correctly.
Why that would make a difference slowing down I don't know. If it didn't fall off the lift and they managed to change the oil OK you should have got away with it.
What kind of noise, and from where in the car?

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's hard to tell, but it does look as though the front is not supported, which suggests that it may not be lifted correctly.
Why that would make a difference slowing down I don't know. If it didn't fall off the lift and they managed to change the oil OK you should have got away with it.
What kind of noise, and from where in the car?
I cannot really describe the noise, it is like.... ooo I cannot think of how to describe it but it is evenly timed between the noises and it sounds like it is coming from the driver side back wheel. I only hear it when slowing down

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Did you see where they put the lift pads on the rear of the car? Also, have you checked to make sure they replaced and tightened all the undertray bolts?

Can you be more specific about the type of noise? Is it a click, or squeak, etc? Does it happen only when braking, or also when coasting?

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did you see where they put the lift pads on the rear of the car? Also, have you checked to make sure they replaced and tightened all the undertray bolts?

Can you be more specific about the type of noise? Is it a click, or squeak, etc? Does it happen only when braking, or also when coasting?
I kept trying to give them instructions on how to do the oil change but I do not think they were listening to me. It is more of a long clicking I did not check the undertray bolts, will do that

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,688 Posts
Looks like it was on it's WAY to being " Q-Balled " !!!!:crazyeyes

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
I kept trying to give them instructions on how to do the oil change but I do not think they were listening to me. It is more of a long clicking I did not check the undertray bolts, will do that
When the bolts that connect the undertray to the diffuser are loose (or missing), the two panels will rub or tap each other under certain conditions. Also check that the three small bolts (on each side) that connect the undertray to the chassis were replaced and tightened properly

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks like it was on it's WAY to being " Q-Balled " !!!!:crazyeyes
Yeah i was mad, I knew I should have left when I saw they could not figure out how to get it on a lift. I thought if I was helpful and gave them instructions it would be smooth after that. They did move it off that lift on to this neat lift that had two sections. but then it took 3 more hours because he knew there had to be an easier way than the instructions said... I just wanted to get it done and have learned an important lesson. Do it myself or suck up the drive and go somewhere that knows how to work on these cars.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,688 Posts
There really is NOTHING to changing your own oil. Takes about 1/2 hour of your time.

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
she might disagree with me on this, but what it sounds like to me is.. more of a "whirrrr" noise

as in "whir whir whir whir whir whir whir whir whir"

·
Registered
291 Posts
there's definitely something wrong w/ that picture.

+1 on the DIY oil change. i'm 50/50 on whether you shold take it to criswell to have it checked out. Behe Performance is my recommendation.

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
there's definitely something wrong w/ that picture.

+1 on the DIY oil change. i'm 50/50 on whether you shold take it to criswell to have it checked out. Behe Performance is my recommendation.
they did take it off that lift after they decided it wasnt working. They put it on a more standard drive-on lift, and did the oil change on that.

but yeah, they tried 3 different lifts before they found one that they could use with this car lol

·
Super Moderator
2,844 Posts
It is hard to tell from the photo, but it looks like they were trying to lift your car by the forward lift points which doesn't work and if the car is lifted high enough you will get another "qball" episode. The only way to tell if they screwed up your car is to get down on the ground and inspect the entire underside of the car for damage and/or missing or loose hardware. The best way to cure this problem is to purchase and install one of these lift point kits http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f101/really-light-stuff-lift-point-kit-73924/ then anyone can safely lift your car with a 4 arm service lift at any time.

·
Registered
291 Posts
they did take it off that lift after they decided it wasnt working. They put it on a more standard drive-on lift, and did the oil change on that.

but yeah, they tried 3 different lifts before they found one that they could use with this car lol
Can you isolate where the noise is coming from? (Just the rear, or the front or the side?)

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
it sounds to me like it is coming from the rear
cant really tell which side (you want to say drivers side, but of course you do, you're closest to that side)

you can really only hear it at low speeds, when not accelerating - but again, that is meaningless. it is probably too quiet to hear over the engine noise/wind/etc.. at higher speeds or during acceleration

·
Super Moderator
2,844 Posts
Jack up the car using the central lift point on the side you suspect the noise is coming from just enough to get the rear wheel off the ground. Now spin it by hand to see if you can duplicate the noise and pinpoint the problem. This won't help if the sound is dependent on having the suspension at the normal ride height, but it may help you find the problem. If you can, get the car on some ramps or jack stands for a thorough inspection of the underside.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Don't the NACA ducts commonly and typically come loose? If so maybe their chosing inappropriate lift points results in flexing the undertray and popping one loose?... and lifting gives you a certain kind of vibration that is agravating it and making noise?... sorry, no other ideas.

yeah, looks like it's not lifted properly. My opinion is that if they wont let you stand there and SHOW them, it's not worth going there becuase they keep forgetting and keep wanting to take short cuts. My biggest reason for not letting anyone but dealer do oil changes (unless i did them myself) is that i don't trust them to know that aluminum shouldn't be tightened as hard as steel.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts