The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched the forums for info about where to lift the Esprits safely and to minimize damage, has anyone used any of the scissors-lifts successfully?

Anything like the Bend Pak low rise lifts?

I don't have enough overhead room in my garage for a proper 4-post lift (giant beam running crosswise about 40% of the way back in my garage, max garage height apart from beam is 8ft 3in; will this disqualify me from Esprit ownership?) so the scissors lift seem to be the only alternative.

I've used jacks and stands in the past on other cars, would like to go up in safety level if possible.

·
Car Adicted
248 Posts
I have a 4 post lift and have had it for about 12-13 years. Definitely more for storage and you do need about 10 feet clearance if you are parking a car underneath as you have to raise it to unlock it. It would be awkward in my opinion to get under the car standing comfortably, so maybe the scissors type lift would be best. definitely easier to work on brakes etc with the scissor lift. Don't know how it sets up as far as safely lifting the Esprit. Maybe Gonzo can reply. He definitely knows these cars in and out and he is a great guy.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
If you have another low car you may be able to get a lift that will lift one low car up above the other. Might be very tight but doable. Some of the lift manufacturers have a calculator you can use to see what is possible. As for where to lift, if you don't know what you are doing, using the lift points is probably the safest spot. A 4 post drive on lift is going to lift the car by it's wheels and a regular lift does it by the frame once you position the arms in the right spots. The low rise lifts are mainly for doing wheel and suspension work, not really practical for anything else under the car, the lift is in the way. A floor jack and jack stands is very safe and practical too. The majority of owners that can't get a lift wind up using them. As for getting a lift up high enough in the air to work on, you really do need enough height or you might as well work with jack stands and a creeper because you won't be able to stand up underneath.
David Teitelbaum

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies...

The open center lifts, and the modular QuickJacks, would also speed up things such as oil and fluid changes. I don't mind doing things with a floor creeper, been doing that for almost 40 years, but I find as I age and become more crotchety, I have less patience in things such as jacking up the car. I guess my SUV have spoiled me in ground clearance.

I would rely on the factory jacking points and use the included rubber pads to avoid damage to the underside of the car.

The shortest of Bend Pak's 4-post lifts is 88 inches, and the low point of the 4"x12" beam is 87 inches, so no dice there. Also, most of the jack stands I've come across don't have a decent saddle for things like the slotted hockey puck -- please correct me if there is otherwise.

·
Frankesprit user
32 Posts
You could slot these or fab up hockey puck holders”

I lift my 87 G by the factory lift points with my 2 post lift, but I don’t like leaving it for long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Those stands certainly are nice, but even at that price per pair, it's around 1/3 the price of the lowest priced scissors lift.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
I lift the car by the lifting points on the body but I put the jack stands elsewhere. In the front they go under the "U" shaped beam and in the rear they go under the motor holding up the round tubes. This way the load is not on the body. To avoid damage to the lifting points you take a short peice of 2 X 4 and cut a slot into it to place on the jack.
David Teitelbaum

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
5,855 Posts
When I saw the title, I thought you wanted to do this: ? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Seraph

·
Registered
393 Posts
I was also thinking about the BendPak QuickJack BL-5000SLX. I'm trying to figure out if the top length will fit between my wheels and thereby match up to the jacking points. The 3 inch height of the unit when down is no problem as I could always drive onto boards first

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You should check out MaxJax lift. It will work fine in a standard height garage . You will have 48" clearance from the floor.

Unfortunately, there’s a crack near the midpoint of my garage floor and I’m not sure of current strength and thickness to secure the 2 post style lifts. I would need to repour the concrete to feel safe about it.

·
Registered
290 Posts
TO: Dave S4s - how thick was your concrete floor ?
It was thick enough. I didn't build the shop. When I was drilling the floor , it was at least 4+ inches with concrete wire in it. I hit wire in a couple of holes and had to grind through it.

·
Registered
804 Posts

Whoa check this out

Look at the pictures!!!

One of them will SHOCK you!

·
My car sneezes
652 Posts
I lift the rear from the rear hoop and place jackstands on the rear jacking point in front of the rear wheels. Then, using two jacks at each front jacking point, I lift the front evenly, then place jackstands under the front frame near where the lower control arm connects to frame using a block of wood to prevent damage

1 - 17 of 17 Posts