The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1987 Turbo Esprit HCI
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been working on this for a few days. I already pulled the transmission separately. I've disconnected everything I can find and am ready to start lifting, but I can't for the life of me come up with a reasonable way to hook the crane to the engine.
What do you guys hook up to? Only real option it looks like to me is removing two of the intake manifold to head bolts and using those, but I think that's probably too weak.

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
5,941 Posts
When we removed our ENTIRE drivetrain, we used a strap UNDER the engine. If you look close you can see the routing of the strap in the picture.

·
Dreaded Prior Owner
749 Posts
I've not pulled the engine separately, but I usually just make up a two hole tab to bolt to the top front of the engine, either at one of the aux housing bolts, the intake manifold, or on the alternator pivot bolt. Since your tranny is out, I would think the top bell housing bolt would be good for a rear attachment. I use a separate ratchet style strap from the lift hook to the side of the block to adjust the side to side tilt of the engine.

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
5,941 Posts
You might need a small child to hang off the back end of the engine alone. You know, for balance. 😉

·
Registered
1987 Turbo Esprit HCI
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It came out fairly smoothly.
Removed the hatch cover and went at it from the rear. Maxed out the harbor freight engine hoist isn't quiet high enough, but one man managing the engine and another pushing the car away gets it done.
Thanks for the tips.

·
Registered
1987 Turbo Esprit HCI
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Another question,
When I pulled my transmission the input shaft stayed with the engine.
I ordered the nylatron thrust washer, circlip, and two orings the book talks about from JAE and they arrived today.
Does anyone know how I can tell if this is the "upgraded" circlip that Esprit2 and DSVitesse1 are talking about in this thread?
The guy at JAE said it was, but the clip I've got seems pretty small and flimsy, if this is the upgraded one, I can't imagine how little the factory one is.
The one I have is 0.070" wide at the widest part 0.050" wide at the narrow ends, and exactly 1" OD with a 0.900" ID. And it's about 0.040" thick.

I'd like to get the best circlip I can in there.
It has already been replaced once before less than 10,000 miles ago. But that was ~25 years ago.
Thanks for any help.

Attachments

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
5,941 Posts
I can't compare or ID the 'original' circlip, as mine was completely gone...(for the second time in 76K miles).

But I'd wager the HD rating has more to do with material makeup than size. @dsvitesse1 ?

PS, our shop had reduced the tension on the bias spring on the trans side of the input shaft, and the clip still wore out.

Reactions: S54Venture

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
Because of the size of the groove in the input shaft, the size of the clip can't be bigger than the original. As Atwell says, it is just made of stronger (harder) materiel. Best repair is to have the end of the crankshaft machined to accept a larger bearing, a ball bearing, that can take the thrust load and not depend on that clip. IMHO even though the clip is made of a "better" materiel, it will still fail, it will just take longer. As long as you are doing this, if you want to do the best job you can, upgrade the pilot bearing. Maybe you can find a shop that can do the crankshaft without taking the engine apart. A portable mill could do it.
David Teitelbaum

1 - 9 of 9 Posts