The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Light Bulb Conversions Applicable for 2005 Elise

REAR LIGHT CLUSTER - See position code 1 - 6 below.

H21 = 68191, 12356 Philips, 64136 Osram
21W, 9mm Base, Offset Bayonet
3 - Rear Turn Indicators, 4 - Stop Lamps, 5 - Reversing Lamps.

P21/4W = 7225 P21-4W, 1345, 0498
21W / 4W, 15mm Base, Offset Bayonet, Double Contacts, Double Elements.
6 - Tail/Stop Lamp, 1 - Tail/Turn Lamp.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PY21W Amber = 7507 Amber
21W, 15mm Base, Offset Bayonet
Front Turn Indicator.

W5W = 168
5W, Wedge Base
Front Side/Parking Lamps, Interior Lamp.

WY5W Amber = 17169, 2827 Osram, 12396 Philips
5W, Wedge Base
Side Repeater Lamp.

C5W = 6418
5W, Festoon 35mm x 11mm
Licence Plate Lamp

H1 - Headlight Low Beam 55W
H7 - Headlight High Beam 55W

·
Registered
527 Posts
Nice work thanks:clap:

BTW: Do you have what the LED replacement lamp part numbers?

·
shay2nak
25,171 Posts
W5W is 194...I replaced my parking lights with Blue LEDs. interior light is also 194

WY5W may also be 194...not sure yet. I was going to put in LEDs there also.

For LED taillights, the reverse bulb is either 916 or 921.

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
shay2nak said:
W5W is 194...I replaced my parking lights with Blue LEDs. interior light is also 194

WY5W may also be 194...not sure yet. I was going to put in LEDs there also.

For LED taillights, the reverse bulb is either 916 or 921.
Actually a W5W is 5W, a 194 is 3.78W. The 168 that I stated is correct at 4.9W.
The WY5W is also 5W but amber in color, therefore the bulb numbers I quoted are also correct.
If someone could provide me with 2006 & 2007 bulb types, if different, I can do the same.

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
Everything seems applicable to the 2006 Exige, with the obvious differences of the LED tail, brake, and turn lamps. The driving lamps are H3 although I don't know if they can be replaced. Surprised you didn't list the headlights H1 (low) & H7 (high) for 2005-2006 and H7 (both) for 2007 & up.

From what I've read, most people appear to have better luck with replacing the 6418 with a 39mm bulb.

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Everything seems applicable to the 2006 Exige, with the obvious differences of the LED tail, brake, and turn lamps. The driving lamps are H3 although I don't know if they can be replaced. Surprised you didn't list the headlights H1 (low) & H7 (high) for 2005-2006 and H7 (both) for 2007 & up.

From what I've read, most people appear to have better luck with replacing the 6418 with a 39mm bulb.
HI & H7 are easy to find, the others are more difficult because of their UK designations.

·
Registered
120 Posts

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
I just had to replace my rear tail lamp bulbs for 4 and 6 in the diagram above, and went to autozone to look for bulbs. I had to do some trial and error to find the ones that fit, as Sylvania conversions are not listed above (Osram have slightly different model numbers as I found out).

The brake/tail lamp (6, inner cluster, inner bulb) was a Sylvania 7228 (not 7225 as suggested above) with 2 filaments and a double contacts.

The brake lamp (4, inner cluster, outer bulb) was a Sylvania 7506 with one filament and single contact.

Perhaps the list could be updated to reflect bulbs from Sylvania as well.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I decided to replace all the lights I could easily get to with LEDs on my 2006 Elise. I like the fact that the temperature is cooler, they last WAY longer, and I can change a few colors around. It turns out that finding the right part numbers was more difficult that I had thought and I ended up having to order 3 different times and some of the ones I first ordered were incorrect - the socket fit, but the bulb was too big.

Perhaps I can save some time for anyone contemplating this task. The numbers in brackets are the superbrightleds.com model numbers. They way their model numbers work is that you replace the "x" with a one or two character code to specify color. These sizes might work on an 07 too because according to my service notes they're the same. I know 05 is different, and I don't know about 08+. As with all LEDs - make sure you get the polarity correct before putting the covers back on - they won’t work if you get the +- backwards!

1) Front/side parking lights (running lights): W5W, 5W, 194/168 type [WLED-xHP9-T]. You will need two of these. They fit in the headlight housing. I bought the white (WLED-WHP9-T) model. My guess is anything other than white or yellow might cause legal trouble since they're always on and in the front of car. You might be able to fit these, but it will be very tight fit: WLED-WHP13-T (brighter). They also have a 15 and 18 LED version, but they're only brighter by a very small amount (and dimmer for some colors) so it's not worth the extra price. Access to these requires getting to the headlight housing. It's possible to do with the tire on, but much easier if you just remove it. Of all the LED replacements, these probably take the longest.

2) Side repeater lamps: W5W, 5W, 194/168 type [WLED-x6]. You will need two. I got the WLED-CW6 (cool white). There is a clear amber colored plastic cover already in there, so take that into account when you choose a color. These can be accessed from under the wheel wells. If you take the tires off they're really easy to access.

3) Front turn signals: PY21W, 21W, [BAU15S-x18-T]. I got the amber ones (BAU15S-A18-T). Note - there is no clear plastic amber in there - so whatever color you get, that's what you'll see! I’m pretty sure that these have to be amber or something close or the cops will get angry. Access is super easy. IMPORTANT - you need to get a flasher unit if you want these to work. See next item.

4) Flasher Unit: [CF13GL-02]. You will need one of these if you replace the turn signals with LEDs. It's located under the dash on the passenger side. Get ready to play upside down twister!

5) Reverse lights: W16W, 921 type [WLED-xHP13-T]. You will need 2. I got these in blue (WLED-BHP13-T). I don't think cops will care too much about the color since it's only when you reverse. It's tricky getting the right polarity if you don't have someone around - I had to use the video camera in my phone. Remember, unlike with filaments, LEDs require you to have the +- correct! You access them via the trunk.

6) License Plate light: C5W, 5W [3910-x6]. There are TWO of these and they are 39mm. I got blue ones (3910-B6). I know NM allows small blue lights if they're non-flashing and not on the front of the car. I also know, (found out the hard way), that MT doesn't allow it so it depends on the state. These are very easy to replace - just 4 screws. EDIT: OK, DON'T GET BLUE! I just got pulled over and the cop said license plate ones have to be white. Since the blues were actually much brighter than the old white ones, he said that it was really just an excuse to pull me over. Also, apparently they won't accept you pulling up your insurance documents on your phone as proof of insurance. I'm so glad that we voted for politicians who come up with these petty laws so our police can teach us hard working tax paying citizens what they can do when they're not chasing real bad guys.

7) Start button light: [MG-x-WV]. I got blue (MG-B-WV). The blue is a bit too bright for me. I might put something in there to dim it. You only need one. There are directions somewhere in these forums to get it off - it takes about 5-10 minutes once you know how.

8) Dome light: W5W, 5W, 194/168 type [WLED-xHP5]. This is the one right behind your seat. I bought blue (WLED-BHP5). You only need one. Popping the cover off requires pushing in some hidden tabs on the right hand side. It's easy to break. I HATE plastic tabs! The space allotted for the bulb is very small. Originally I had ordered the 9 LED version, but found out that it was too big. The 5 LED one gives off plenty of light though and is brighter than the original filament bulb.

--luke

·
purveyor of lightness
4,257 Posts
Front turn signals were the last remaining piece of my LED puzzle. Just ordered those ambers. I will now have LED's all the way around.

Thank you!!

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
I installed the DMT 55W HID Low beam kit on my car and it worked great. On a few occasions it would be nice to have the High beams as well but I'm not sure if I should install another HID fit or I found some high wattage H7 LEDs (68 LEDs). Would the LEDs be a better option since they will not be on all the time and they are only used sparingly?

·
Registered
89 Posts
My list of LED replacement bulbs I have from superbrightleds.com for my non LED '05 Elise

Reverse
2 x WLED-xHP13-T: 194 LED Bulb - 13 SMD LED Wedge Base Tower WLED-WHP13-T: Cool White $14.95 each these are completely incorrect, hope no one ordered them like I did:confused:

Rear Tail Light
4 x 1156-x45-T: 1156 LED Bulb - Single Intensity 45 SMD LED Tower 1156-R45-T: 1156 Red $24.95 each

2x Rear Light/Turn, 2x Rear Light/Brake
4 x 1157-x45-T: 1157 LED Bulb - Dual Intensity 45 SMD LED Tower 1157-R45-T: 1157 Red $24.95 each

Side Repeater
2 x WLED-x6: 194 LED Bulb - 6 LED Wedge Base WLED-A6: Amber $2.79 each

Turn Signal Flash
1 x CF13GL-02: CF13GL-02 LED Bulb Electronic Flasher $ 12.95 each

Front Turn Signal
2 x BAU15S-x18-T: 18HP-LED 7507 LED Tower bulb Amber $17.95 each

1 - 20 of 26 Posts