The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
shay2nak
24,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had one installed (Fidanza) along with ACT HDSS clutch some years back, but I always wondered if the flywheel was installed. I knew the clutch was by the behavior, but the flywheel did not feel lighter to me. The motor didn't feel like it was revving any faster. I did get the original parts after the install, but IIRC, the kid that worked at the shop was let go because he didn't complete some of the work [didn't install all parts]. I can see the flywheel from the bell housing, but didn't really inspect it to see if it's the Fidanza piece. I guess I have to jack the car up and remove the undertrays to see... Is there any other way to check?

451 Posts
The bottom line is that you have to look at it. The Fidanza should be easy to spot even with a low resolution, smart phone based bore-scope because it is aluminum and a funky shape. Pass it through the throw-out bearing fork boot.

Get a bore-scope camera for your smartphone off of ebay...they cost about $10 and download the software for the camera. I use MScopes. Shove it in and take a look around. You'd be surprised what you can see.

·
Premium Member
1,123 Posts
If you are pulling the lower trays, there is an inspection area at the bottom of the trans bell housing. If you still have the plastic cover, just pull it off. Once it is out of the way, you can see the bottom of the flywheel and clutch cover.

As far as driving the car, it will require more throttle; ie, higher RPM, 2-3K RPM, to start moving from a stop. Another thing is how quickly that the motor decelerates when you lift on the throttle for shifting. A light flywheel will require a little maintenance throttle when upshifting otherwise the RPMs will drop below the shift point.

Later,
Eldon

·
shay2nak
24,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The bottom line is that you have to look at it. The Fidanza should be easy to spot even with a low resolution, smart phone based bore-scope because it is aluminum and a funky shape. Pass it through the throw-out bearing fork boot.

Get a bore-scope camera for your smartphone off of ebay...they cost about $10 and download the software for the camera. I use MScopes. Shove it in and take a look around. You'd be surprised what you can see.
Thanks for the suggestion.

If you are pulling the lower trays, there is an inspection area at the bottom of the trans bell housing. If you still have the plastic cover, just pull it off. Once it is out of the way, you can see the bottom of the flywheel and clutch cover.

As far as driving the car, it will require more throttle; ie, higher RPM, 2-3K RPM, to start moving from a stop. Another thing is how quickly that the motor decelerates when you lift on the throttle for shifting. A light flywheel will require a little maintenance throttle when upshifting otherwise the RPMs will drop below the shift point.

Later,
Eldon
Thanks, Eldon. I hardly drive the car so I can't be sure. Next time I take it out, I'll be mindful of these things. With such a grabby clutch I've had to rev it more so maybe I do have one, it's just the combo of the clutch & flywheel.

·
Acme Super Moderator ** The Enforcer **
7,395 Posts
Honestly had an aftermarket clutch/lightweight flywheel installed in my WRX and after a few days it just felt normal. Much like a quicker steering rack IHMO. You feel it at first and then you're quickly used to it.

San

·
shay2nak
24,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Honestly had an aftermarket clutch/lightweight flywheel installed in my WRX and after a few days it just felt normal. Much like a quicker steering rack IHMO. You feel it at first and then you're quickly used to it.

San
I can see that. I have videos of the dash before the install. I could take some new ones and compare...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts