The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I checked all the lights on my exige I just bought and everything works fine except the driver side red light right above the tire. I checked the other side and in the trunk I can see its plugged in the driver side isn't and I don't see anywhere to plug it in. There's a red and black wire coming from that light to the trunk next to the battery and there's a black and green wire with the same ends. I looked everywhere and don't see any wire they pair with. I took some pictures and the two wires I found don't go anywhere. I would really hate to pay a dealer to fix such a small issue I could splice them in to the back lights but I don't think I should have to. I didn't think it was a fuse but I checked anyways and they were all fine.

Attachments

·
shay2nak
25,130 Posts
Do you mean the driver's side rear side reflector/light? The other end of the plug is hidden under the carpet in the trunk - on the left side. Get a flash light and dig around.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I dug around everywhere and pulled the carpet back and didn't see anything. I was using my phone flashlight and it was hard to get in there leaning over the spoiler. I'll try again standing on a chair or something so I can see better and I'll use a better flashlight. It might be behind the battery I guess it was driving me nuts lol.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I seem to remember seeing, before I threw in the "bootie", that there was a wire behind the battery like one of the ones you describe with nothing connected to it. I wondered what it could have been for, but everything electrical seemed to be working OK. Sorry, I don't remember what colour the wires were.

Cheers.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I had this identical situation. In the course of tracing and solving an excessive parasitic current draw problem on my car, the primary Lotus mechanic at Auto Europe noticed and solved this. Charles indicated it was something simple. I didn't require clarification, as I normally do, because we both were consumed by the intermittent parasitic draw and a LiPO4 battery issue.

Car is in storage for the season, and I am 1100 miles from it, so checking on it won't be possible for 3+ months. However, you could try calling AE and jog Charles' memory on what he did to solve this on my Exige. If you still have the problem mid-April, PM me then and I'll look at my wiring harness.

Bob L

·
Registered
293 Posts
I had the exact same problem on my exige, except the rear drivers side light (right behind the tire) was plugged into the green and black wire. The red and black wire is indeed for that light. Your rear light just isn't plugged in and the connector might be in the fender.

The light is easy to get to, pull the drivers side tire and there is a small cover, covering the light. Pull the three screws and the whole light should just pull out, but more importantly, pull the cover and look for the connector. If its there, just thread the connector thru the hole in the fender and use seal it with the rubber grommet.

There is a tread somewhere about the mystery green and black wire, its supposed to be for the rear brake light or fog light.. but its not used.

Hope that helps
Ken

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I read the post on the black and green wire and it's just a spare wire that does work with the brake I might figure something fun to do with that in the future. I'll take the tire off later maybe it came lose and the wire is hiding back under the fender. I did get behind the red light above the tire and it definitely is red and black. Getting off the subject I didn't see the tool kit is it by the battery somewhere? Further off the wire subject my car is also hibernating for the winter and the manual said to fill the tires to 60 psi that's more then double what they are now is that right?

·
Registered
293 Posts
The tool kit attaches with Velcro so it could be anywhere. I keep mine on the other side as the battery. It tucks nicely in the "cave" on the passenger side trunk. Looks like a big canvas wallet.

I'm in California so I don't have to winterize the car.. =) There has to be some reason we put up with all the "stuff" that goes on here.

Ken

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Must be nice I got to drive the car home from the dealer and now it sits in the garage till spring. Got a foot of snow yesterday or I might of took her out this weekend but guess I have to wait. Worst feeling ever :(

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No wire in the trunk I stuck my finger in the hole where the wire should come out of and there it was. Only thing is I have to pull the tire off to get to it and I don't have the equipment to do it. I never found the tool kit in the trunk either looks like a trip to the dealer just to plug a light in. Hope they don't screw too much

·
Registered
293 Posts
Its easier with the wheel off but you may be able to find and fish the wire thru with the wheel on. But the car will have to be off the ground. Be sure to jack it from the jack points. Look under the car for blue round stickers.

Tool kit is just a bunch of torx keys, so you may be able to make your own from a sear catalog.. But It is nice having the factory kit and will help resale.

GL
Ken

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeh I couldn't get to the screws with the tire in the way I need a car jack anyways this will give me a reason to buy one. It's just weird how it worked it's way through the hole with the end on the wire. I'll have to silicon the hole when I'm done I don't want the wire rubbing the fiberglass. Thanks for the info

1 - 14 of 14 Posts