The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was replacing my rotors last weekend (DBA5000s :D) and looking at all the iron hanging off the end of the control arms. Isn't there a ton of unsprung weight savings there by replacing with lighter uprights and calipers? I seem to remember a thread where someone prepping a race car shared a bespoke replacement for the uprights... but can't seem to find it.

Does anyone know a source for lightweight uprights and calipers? Is it worth it for overall weight reduction and handling? Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,966 Posts

·
purveyor of lightness
4,257 Posts
I contacted EliseParts almost 3 years ago and asked them about these...

They replied back with:

"Hi David

There are no major weight saving advantages but there are several other advantages, namely, Strength, Toe link bolt in double sheer, better wishbone angulations, they are designed to accept better and wider range of front and rear calipers, they won't rust and higher camber angles are achievable.

They are the best on the market by far, many race teams use them and to date I have had only positive feedback.

Cheers

Geary"

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
443 Posts
I was replacing my rotors last weekend (DBA5000s :D) and looking at all the iron hanging off the end of the control arms.
Wayne, if you are concerned about unsprung weight why did you install the DBA5000(or 4000) rotors in the rear when the rear caliper does not use all the swept surface? :confused:

According to the Sector111 site, the Ultradisc rears with a larger rotor hat than the front save 3lbs per corner!!

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wayne, if you are concerned about unsprung weight why did you install the DBA5000(or 4000) rotors in the rear when the rear caliper does not use all the swept surface? :confused:

According to the Sector111 site, the Ultradisc rears with a larger rotor hat than the front save 3lbs per corner!!
Good point, I had not put that together in my research. Was thinking I should get the same rotor "set" front and rear rather than "mix and match", but technically no real reasong to. Good to know for next time though... thanks!

·
Registered
723 Posts
LP -- "Just another astroturf, evil-mongering, radical member of the right wing M.O.B. (Mainstream Opposition to Barack)."

You've got my support!

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

They replied back with:

"Hi David

There are no major weight saving advantages but there are several other advantages, namely, Strength, Toe link bolt in double sheer, better wishbone angulations, they are designed to accept better and wider range of front and rear calipers, they won't rust and higher camber angles are achievable.

They are the best on the market by far, many race teams use them and to date I have had only positive feedback.

Cheers

Geary"

Hope this helps!
Excellent, thanks for this info and the pointer to EliseParts. Not the hubs I had remembered from a previous thread, but I like all the other benefits even if they aren't lighter.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,457 Posts
Expect a new upright solution from Nitron as well. In fact we will have several new items to show at WCLM in Vegas....Guy from Nitron will be our guest and we will hold a Tech Seminar to discuss some new hardcore race focused bits...

·
Saffron Yellow is Lighter
1,312 Posts

Hi darkSol, old post bump. Did you ever install these on your car? I was looking at some of the options and it seems they have a "GT Hub" and a "GT Race" version so I was curious if you installed these and if so which one, if more than 1 version was available at the time.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts