The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to reduce unsprung weight on my 2007 exige, considering replacing LSS stock wheels with RS 134 Monolites 16 and 17 inch wheels. Are there any other wheels as light or lighter than the monolites out there for the exige? Appreciate any input on the matter.

·
Registered
64 Posts

This old thread might be helpful with your concern. You can check Blackwatch Racing for some of the best options in the market today.

·
Acme Super Moderator ** The Enforcer **
7,598 Posts
In the 16x7 and 17x8 sizes, I know of nothing lighter than the Monolites. Outstanding caliper clearance as well, even with the AP Racing 4-wheel BBK. Lastly, they're easy to clean, which is the opposite of the LSS wheels.

San

·
Registered
291 Posts
Good list above but the offsets can vary. An additional option for light 7",8", retaining the factory diameter and offsets - Lotus Sport 5 spoke as were standard on the 240R exige 12.1lbs fronts, 17.05lbs rears. I believe that these are still available.

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input guys, all the good info convinced me to order the monolites. Now just have to decide between silver or black to go with the lotus racing green, leaning towards black wheels.

·
Administrator
1,419 Posts
You might want to consider two piece rotors for additional unsprung weight savings.

Reactions: me73

·
Premium Member
536 Posts
You might want to consider two piece rotors for additional unsprung weight savings.
I have the Boe 2 piece solid rotors, they are advertised as 5lbs lighter per corner, but that‘s not what I got. I weighed them and compared to the stock, and it’s less than a pound difference, very disappointing when you pay good money for what’s supposed to be an upgrade.

·
Administrator
1,419 Posts
The two piece are lighter not the solid. They have aluminum hat and then as rotors wear you replace just the ring. I don't even see the one piece listed anymore. How long ago did you buy them?

·
Administrator
1,419 Posts
Sorry I misread your post maybe the five lbs is total weight savings? Anyone else do some checking on weight savings?

·
Administrator
1,419 Posts
I have the Boe 2 piece solid rotors, they are advertised as 5lbs lighter per corner, but that‘s not what I got. I weighed them and compared to the stock, and it’s less than a pound difference, very disappointing when you pay good money for what’s supposed to be an upgrade.
Need a little claireification BOE used to have I think a solid rotor as well as their two piece fixed and/or floating rotors but never a two piece solid rotor. So which do you have? If you have the one piece solid rotor it will not have the bolts attaching the rotor to the hat and there wouldn't be much weight savings. Can you verify what you have? Photo? Richard

·
Supporting Vendor
4,246 Posts
This is a great suggestion for unsprung weight savings. Our ULTRAdisc two piece rotors have been the best option on the market since 2005. We have 100s of happy clients who have realized 10lbs of unsprung weight savings and VERY LONG life with our complete kit.

Monolites are the lightest in the 16"/17" combination. Plus the fit is also excellent.

·
Premium Member
536 Posts
Need a little claireification BOE used to have I think a solid rotor as well as their two piece fixed and/or floating rotors but never a two piece solid rotor. So which do you have? If you have the one piece solid rotor it will not have the bolts attaching the rotor to the hat and there wouldn't be much weight savings. Can you verify what you have? Photo? Richard
The rotors I bought from Boe are the 2 piece with aluminum hats, you can get them in FIXED (Sorry I called it solid) and FLOATING, they are the same weight. As of Boe's website they state that the Elise/Exige HP rotors save 20 lbs, which is far from what I found.

From Boe website: Save Weight with a full set of Evora rotors saving about 11lbs of rotational mass and a full set of Elise/Exige rotors saving about 20lbs of rotating mass!

·
Premium Member
536 Posts
This is a great suggestion for unsprung weight savings. Our ULTRAdisc two piece rotors have been the best option on the market since 2005. We have 100s of happy clients who have realized 10lbs of unsprung weight savings and VERY LONG life with our complete kit.

Monolites are the lightest in the 16"/17" combination. Plus the fit is also excellent.
Your 2 piece rotors use aluminum hats and same size rotors as stock for the front, but a smaller rotor in the rear. That's fine if you run stock rear calipers, but not for anything else.

Reactions: Catsailr27

·
Administrator
1,419 Posts
The rotors I bought from Boe are the 2 piece with aluminum hats, you can get them in FIXED (Sorry I called it solid) and FLOATING, they are the same weight. As of Boe's website they state that the Elise/Exige HP rotors save 20 lbs, which is far from what I found.

From Boe website: Save Weight with a full set of Evora rotors saving about 11lbs of rotational mass and a full set of Elise/Exige rotors saving about 20lbs of rotating mass!
Ok understand you now although they call it two piece fixed and floating on their site whereas the solid were one piece. I never had the OEM rotors to compare to as the car came with BWR two piece fixed same as BOE's. I've begun changing my drilled rotors for slotted after seeing micro fissures around some of the holes after refacing. Strange that there would be that much weight discrepancy. Richard

·
Registered
38 Posts
From what I understand, the TR Motorosports F1 wheels are lighter than the monolites, and from what I can tell, they are the lightest 16 & 17 set ever available, but they are discontinued. I have a set that I would be willing to part with if the price was right.
For 16/17 setup, the lightest are not RAC Monolites.

RAC Monolites are 11.5lbs front & 13.4 lbs rear if you're looking for 16x7.0" and 17x8.0" wheels respectively.

However, for stock sizes, the lightest is TRMotorsport F1 from TireRack. It's 10.5lbs front, & 12.0lbs rear.

Work wheels don't make sizes for the Lotus. You see them mainly on Honda/Acuras, and other "import rice rockets."

·
Premium Member
536 Posts
From what I understand, the TR Motorosports F1 wheels are lighter than the monolites, and from what I can tell, they are the lightest 16 & 17 set ever available, but they are discontinued. I have a set that I would be willing to part with if the price was right.
Are they 16 x 7” and 17 x 8”. ??

·
Acme Super Moderator ** The Enforcer **
7,598 Posts
Are they 16 x 7” and 17 x 8”. ??
No, they're not. I was very specific in saying that in the 16x7 and 17x8 sizes, I know of nothing lighter than the Monolites.

San

1 - 20 of 26 Posts