The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Time to replace the OEM lead/acid beast before it either leaks into my truck or breaks free of its moorings during a track day and destroys my clam. Think I've narrowed it down to a Shorai (but I'm not sure which model I need, thinking this one?) and the Rennline bracket, here.

I also considering the Xtender bracket from Inokinetic, but I'm not sure if the Shorai battery will work with that option.

I guess I'm looking for some insight, suggestions, user experiences in this area. I don't want to have to drill or modify anything, and I want total piece of mind that the battery will be secured back there. Is there an option that allows the OEM plastic battery cover to be fitted over it?

Also, was hoping someone could tell me if my Lotus branded Battery Tender will work on the newer lithium ion batteries or if they require a special type of maintainer?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've used a Shorai for 5 years. Awesome customer service (when they answer the phone).

San
I've heard that but also that's more difficult to keep that type of battery properly charged. They're also considerably more expensive than the other options. I'm still trying to understand the differences between the various options.

·
Acme Super Moderator ** The Enforcer **
7,083 Posts
I've heard that but also that's more difficult to keep that type of battery properly charged. They're also considerably more expensive than the other options. I'm still trying to understand the differences between the various options.
I leave mine on the Shorai charger when not being driven. It's under 5 pounds with 565 CCA. Nothing against the Deka/Big Crank/Whatever someone else is calling it (all made by EastPenn here in the USA). I used to run a Deka in my C6 Corvette. Just don't buy the Braille, which is the same battery with a higher price tag.

San

·
7,083 Posts
Noted.

Which mounting solution are you using? Is it bespoke or another aftermarket option?
I wish I knew. Seriously.
Lotus_Battery_Setup2.jpg
Lotus_Battery_Setup1.jpg

One thing that rocks about Shorai is that since their batteries are almost always going to be smaller than the battery they replace, they provide a large assortment of adhesive-backed foam pads in various thicknesses. You can see in the bottom picture the foam pads on the left and right. There's also a foam pad on the top (and bottom of the battery, furthest "back" in the picture) that's obscured by the upper battery mount lip.

If you decide to go with the Deka/Big Crank be aware that this battery is re-badged by almost everyone, so you can get it at a lot of automotive shops under their house brand. Do a search for ETX12, where the 12 is the model of the battery (exp. ETX20) you're looking for. They're reasonably priced and can be mounted in any position. As I mentioned, I used one in my C6 Corvette.

The Shorai I posted above is truly a great battery. A friend with a C6 Corvette with an extensive head and cam setup ran the same battery without a charger (as it was his daily driver). He had only praise for it. That's a 6+ liter high-compression V8. I recommend going with the Shorai charger unless you are daily driving your Lotus. It conditions the cells individually. Through my own stupidity I've discharged my Shorai completely several times and the charger has always brought it back to life.

I mentioned customer service. Allow me to elaborate. I purchased a Shorai battery for my 2008 Kawasaki ZX-10R. I ordered the smaller battery than recommended to save some weight. Years later I called to get some specifications not on their site. My battery had been fully discharged for some time and I didn't have a charger then. I was done with my call but the representative asked about my battery. I told him it was WAY out of warranty and he asked me to fill out a warranty claim. He said at the very least he'd send me a refurbished battery, but he wanted the old one back for analysis. I filled out the claim and sent the old battery back. I got what looked like a new battery, complete with the aforementioned large assortment of adhesive-backed foam pads in various thicknesses. Not only did they send me a new/refurbished battery (I couldn't tell which), but they sent me the larger/more expensive battery they recommended for my bike. No charge.

I spent 11 years in Japan (United States Air Force) and my experience with Japanese products is that they stand behind their goods. Shorai has been my choice whenever I need a lightweight battery. You can find them at a reasonable price (IMHO) when you consider how light they are. Several here are using the same battery in the Evora. I have one in my Exige, one in my Yamaha R1M and one in my Ducati V4S. I want to put one in my GT-R but haven't gotten around to it.

I really hope this helps. If you have any questions/concerns please don't hesitate to reach out to me.

San

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, this is super helpful, thanks very much for that overview and insight into Shorai. I do love Japanese products for their quality and attention to detail. They just have a totally different standard over there. Do you think I could use a Battery Tender on it? I have this one:

·
7,083 Posts
Yeah, this is super helpful, thanks very much for that overview and insight into Shorai. I do love Japanese products for their quality and attention to detail. They just have a totally different standard over there. Do you think I could use a Battery Tender on it? I have this one:
You can, but honestly I'd spring for their charger as it conditions the cells individually and has a storage mode as well.

San

·
Registered
12 Posts
FWIW, my battery mount threads in clam are stripped and I switched to this lithium battery which is working great. I thought I'd throw out the option since I called into battery stuff and happened to speak with someone very knowledgeable about the Elise, in fact he was in the market for one. This battery will sense a slow discharge and shut off at 12.3V to retain enough juice to start the car. Now, the issue with that I believe, is the alarm will go off if the car senses the battery shut-off.

And any lithium battery must be charged with a lithium specific charger. No regular ol' battery tender or that Lotus branded one.

The battery is light enough that a few strips of 2" wide velcro + 3M outdoor tape have alleviated all concerns that my battery will move around even at the track.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cool, thanks for that link...

Now, the issue with that I believe, is the alarm will go off if the car senses the battery shut-off.
Hmmm...would this also be an issue for batteries utilizing a kill switch for storage? If you use the switch to disconnect the battery, does the alarm go off? Or only when the alarm is armed? I currently have my car set up so that it does not automatically arm the immobilizer and alarm. They are only armed with the fob.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
One more question, does anyone happen to know if the Shorai battery would work with the Inokinetic Xtender bracket? I assume it would since the Shoari ships with the foam blocks. Just curious if anyone has this set up. Thanks!

·
Registered
12 Posts
The alarm (since it has a backup battery), when activated, would sound if it senses the battery shut-off or disconnected.

To use a battery kill switch you need to disarm the alarm first and you're fine to disconnect.

·
7,083 Posts
I have a disconnect switch (see picture above) and my alarm has never gone off. I also only arm the alarm with the FOB. I rarely use the disconnect switch.

Shorai ships the battery will a very generous amount of foam. Just to be clear, the Shorai is Lithium-Iron, not lithium. I would recommend their battery charger for the aforementioned reasons.

San

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I would recommend their battery charger for the aforementioned reasons.
Yep, got it. If I get the Shorai, I'll go ahead and get their charger as well.

Besides weight, are there any other advantages to the Shorai over the Deka?

·
7,083 Posts
Yep, got it. If I get the Shorai, I'll go ahead and get their charger as well.

Besides weight, are there any other advantages to the Shorai over the Deka?
Well, there's the vast assortment of adhesive-backed foam and a couple of stickers with the Shorai, but the lack of weight is the biggest bonus IMHO.

San

1 - 20 of 55 Posts