The Lotus Cars Community banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Acme Super Moderator ** The Enforcer **
7,084 Posts
Good stuff here guys. I've received the battery, Xtender bracket and Shorai-specific charger. Everything is sitting on my bench waiting to be installed. I will say, the battery is really a thing of beauty. Do I need to put that conductive jelly anywhere?
You can use it on the terminals (not too much) and more importantly on the connections to the opposite ends (not the battery ends). It promotes conductivity.

San

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
@oldmansan, @Robocop305, okay guys...the only way to have the battery cable connected to the battery while it is being secured by the Xtender bracket is to have the battery in the orientation shown. I would need to trim the foam so the terminals would not be blocked, but are there any foreseeable issues with have the battery in this orientation? San, your suggestion of placing the foam in a manner as to allow the cable room to route would not work, as the cable is too stiff and the bracket covered too much of the area around the BMS port.

Or should I just forgo the cable, and pull the battery each winter and connect it to the maintainer outside of the car? The more I think about it, the more that seems like the best option. I'll just use the kill switch while the car is parked.

Speaking of the kill switch, there's one more thing I need help with; you have to enlarge the hole on the negative lead from the car to fit the bolt in the switch, I was going to use a dremel, but as soon as I made contact, I could see the metal dust particles flying everywhere and I don't want that in my eyes, in my lungs, or all over the trunk of my car.

As you may have guessed, I don't have a ton of experience 'in the garage', but I was curious the best way to do this without making a huge mess or exposing myself to microscopic toxic metal dust particles. I also tried filing it, but the progress was really slow and there was still metal shavings flying around.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
....snip....

Speaking of the kill switch, there's one more thing I need help with; you have to enlarge the hole on the negative lead from the car to fit the bolt in the switch, I was going to use a dremel, but as soon as I made contact, I could see the metal dust particles flying everywhere and I don't want that in my eyes, in my lungs, or all over the trunk of my car.

As you may have guessed, I don't have a ton of experience 'in the garage', but I was curious the best way to do this without making a huge mess or exposing myself to microscopic toxic metal dust particles. I also tried filing it, but the progress was really slow and there was still metal shavings flying around.
something like this thing Titanium High Speed Steel Step Bit Set, 3 Pc.
and a cordless drill.
Pick up a safety glasses for a dollar or two.

Vacuum away the metal chips.

·
7,084 Posts
I didn't actually install my Shorai or kill switch. VSA Motorsports did it while some other work was being done. Necessity is the mother of invention. Sorry I can't be of more help.

San

·
Premium Member
682 Posts
I just used a drill bit to open up the hole larger. Just use a bit that fits the hole and drill around it. My battery was placed differently than yours. Look at my picture. I use the kill switch when car is parked. I charge the battery once a month and the battery is always almost full.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Battery is installed. Would you guys mind taking a look and telling me if anything looks wrong with this? Should I have trimmed the foam back so that it doesn't protrude out from under the front of the battery? Everything feels secure as is.

And @oldmansan @Robocop305, can I leave the battery in there with the kill switch turned off for a month or two? It's between 30-45 degrees F in my garage.

·
Premium Member
682 Posts
Looks fine to me. The foam sticking out is cosmetic. I would cut it to the size of the side. Yup, with the switch off it shouldn’t drain at all. These batteries can keep the charge for a long time if no power is being drawn.

·
7,084 Posts
Looks fine to me. The foam sticking out is cosmetic. I would cut it to the size of the side. Yup, with the switch off it shouldn’t drain at all. These batteries can keep the charge for a long time if no power is being drawn.
Agree on all counts. Looks very nicely done. You could "color" the foam edge with a permanent marker to make it blend in, but I haven't (yet). Enjoy!

San

·
7,084 Posts
Great! Thanks again for the Shorai recommendation and all the guidance. Very pleased with it.
I'm glad you're pleased. Mine is 5 years old and still great.

The Shorai products have been exemplary for me, but the most outstanding thing about Shorai is their customer service. They basically gave me a new (refurbished) more expensive battery to replace a battery that was beyond the warranty period. They only wanted the old one back to analyze it. I was about to end the call and the representative asked me to fill out a warranty claim. I told him the battery was beyond the warranty period and he said they'd ship me a new or refurbished battery anyway. They sent me the more expensive battery that was recommended for my ZX-10R. Plus, I got a full box of the adhesive-backed foam spacers. You know how nice they are. I couldn't tell the battery wasn't new.

I don't even think twice when it's time to buy a lightweight battery, and a lot of people here are using the same battery for the Elige/Evora.

San

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
I wish I knew. Seriously. View attachment 1259167 View attachment 1259168

One thing that rocks about Shorai is that since their batteries are almost always going to be smaller than the battery they replace, they provide a large assortment of adhesive-backed foam pads in various thicknesses. You can see in the bottom picture the foam pads on the left and right. There's also a foam pad on the top (and bottom of the battery, furthest "back" in the picture) that's obscured by the upper battery mount lip.

If you decide to go with the Deka/Big Crank be aware that this battery is re-badged by almost everyone, so you can get it at a lot of automotive shops under their house brand. Do a search for ETX12, where the 12 is the model of the battery (exp. ETX20) you're looking for. They're reasonably priced and can be mounted in any position. As I mentioned, I used one in my C6 Corvette.

The Shorai I posted above is truly a great battery. A friend with a C6 Corvette with an extensive head and cam setup ran the same battery without a charger (as it was his daily driver). He had only praise for it. That's a 6+ liter high-compression V8. I recommend going with the Shorai charger unless you are daily driving your Lotus. It conditions the cells individually. Through my own stupidity I've discharged my Shorai completely several times and the charger has always brought it back to life.

I mentioned customer service. Allow me to elaborate. I purchased a Shorai battery for my 2008 Kawasaki ZX-10R. I ordered the smaller battery than recommended to save some weight. Years later I called to get some specifications not on their site. My battery had been fully discharged for some time and I didn't have a charger then. I was done with my call but the representative asked about my battery. I told him it was WAY out of warranty and he asked me to fill out a warranty claim. He said at the very least he'd send me a refurbished battery, but he wanted the old one back for analysis. I filled out the claim and sent the old battery back. I got what looked like a new battery, complete with the aforementioned large assortment of adhesive-backed foam pads in various thicknesses. Not only did they send me a new/refurbished battery (I couldn't tell which), but they sent me the larger/more expensive battery they recommended for my bike. No charge.

I spent 11 years in Japan (United States Air Force) and my experience with Japanese products is that they stand behind their goods. Shorai has been my choice whenever I need a lightweight battery. You can find them at a reasonable price (IMHO) when you consider how light they are. Several here are using the same battery in the Evora. I have one in my Exige, one in my Yamaha R1M and one in my Ducati V4S. I want to put one in my GT-R but haven't gotten around to it.

I really hope this helps. If you have any questions/concerns please don't hesitate to reach out to me.

San
For the record, I think @oldmansan your bracket is this one or similar:

Odyssey Pc680 Battery Bracket Hold Down Aluminum Finish:

·
7,084 Posts
41 - 55 of 55 Posts