The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a super lightweight battery for 2007 exige. Willing to pay for lithium-ion, looking at braille G20 and G30, wondering if any members are using these and if they work well in the Lotus? Thx for any input

·
Premium Member
541 Posts

·
Acme Super Moderator ** The Enforcer **
7,598 Posts

San

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Antigravity ATX20-RS(or ATX20-HD if you really need the extra cranking power).
I like that it has a BMS built-in so you don't need to buy a cell balancing charger separately, and that it also features automatic low voltage cutoff since low voltage kills the lithium cells.

·
7,598 Posts
Just to be clear, the Shorai isn't lithium-ion, but lithium-iron.

San

·
He's on fire!
3,255 Posts
it pains me to pay out the nose for something that seems like it needs to be replaced every few years anyway. Unless this is for a race application, you could also consider an ETX20L, its less than $100.. but its "lightweight" is only due to smaller form factor. That antigravity battery's weight is impressive!

·
7,598 Posts
it pains me to pay out the nose for something that seems like it needs to be replaced every few years anyway. Unless this is for a race application, you could also consider an ETX20L, its less than $100.. but its "lightweight" is only due to smaller form factor. That antigravity battery's weight is impressive!
My Shorai is 5 years old.

I've used the Deka/Big Crank/Whatever re-badged East Penn batteries in the past and they're more easily damaged if they get discharged. Great bang for the buck and lightweight, but they don't seem to recover from a discharge well from my experience.

San

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
I have the Shorai LFX36L3-BS12 Extreme Rate Lithium Iron ($250 Amazon) and it's great. My only gripe about it is the BMS port is in the center and my battery bracket covers it. Plugging into a tender is extra work as I have remove the bracket.

I'm either going to make a new bracket with a hole to address the issue or just by a Ctek Lithium XS.

·
7,598 Posts
Looking for a super lightweight battery for 2007 exige. Willing to pay for lithium-ion, looking at braille G20 and G30, wondering if any members are using these and if they work well in the Lotus? Thx for any input
Don't buy a Braille unless you like throwing money away. They're just re-badged East Penn batteries. You can find the same battery for much cheaper using many brand names, but usually using ETX20 model format, where the 20 can be different numbers that denote a different size/capacity. Deka and Big Crank are brands you can find easily that are usually half the price of the Braille and use the identical insides. Sometimes Braille offers a carbon case, but unless you're really just shopping for a pretty case, save your money.

San

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the input, the Braille G30 I was considering is $600.00! weight is only 5.5 lbs but will keep looking for other lightweight alternatives

·
7,598 Posts
Thanks for all the input, the Braille G30 I was considering is $600.00! weight is only 5.5 lbs but will keep looking for other lightweight alternatives
The Shorai and Anti-Gravity are lighter and half the price (or less). Braille has always been overpriced.

San

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I have used Odyssey p680 for years. They seem to last about 3 years based upon my purchasing history. The car lives on the battery tender if parked more than 3 days. Why spend more?

·
7,598 Posts
I have used Odyssey p680 for years. They seem to last about 3 years based upon my purchasing history. The car lives on the battery tender if parked more than 3 days. Why spend more?
It's heavy compared to the other batteries being discussed here and having had one (it was in my Exige S when I bought it) I'd never own one again. It's a lightweight car, so "feed" it accordingly.

San

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
It's heavy compared to the other batteries being discussed here and having had one (it was in my Exige S when I bought it) I'd never own one again. It's a lightweight car, so "feed" it accordingly.

San
A better solution on weight would be for me to drop the extra 35+ lbs I have been carrying for 2 decades. I did lose 10 lbs. in the last year but still have a long way to go.

·
Registered
982 Posts
I've also used the PC680 for years. On my second one and first lasted 4 years. It does live on a maintainer when not in use. I don't recall exact weight but around 15lbs I believe. For the money, it seems a great option and also about half the weight of the original battery.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the advice on the Shorai. Super lightweight and starts her up instantly.got theLFX36L3-BS12 and a lot cheaper than the lithium ion batteries i was considering!

·
7,598 Posts
Thanks for the advice on the Shorai. Super lightweight and starts her up instantly.got theLFX36L3-BS12 and a lot cheaper than the lithium ion batteries i was considering!
It's a solid battery and quite a few here use it in the Elige and Evora.

San

1 - 17 of 17 Posts