The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
I also have a Braille, mine is a 15 lb version. It is a AGM battery so it has much more power per pound than a regular lead acid version.
It will save you 30-50 lbs of weight hanging behind the rear wheel, which is a lot of mass where you don't want it.

I have had it for a year, and have had no problems with power, charging or my alternator. That includes a recent drive to and from LOG at Sebring of over a 100 miles each way in the dark and 5 track sessions over the course of the day.

I do need to keep a battery tender on it if I don't drive for a couple days, but my car has always had high at rest power draw, and even my old full size battery would go dead in about a week. In fact besides the alarm I just figured out my powered subwoofer was pulling juice with the ignition off. So after I fix that I am expecting less issues.

Randy

·
Acme Super Moderator ** The Enforcer **
7,598 Posts
Braille batteries are a waste of money. For half the price (or less) you can get the same battery under the name of Big Crank or Deka. They're all made by East Penn and all you're paying for with Braille is the name. I have had a Deka ETX-18L (less than 18 pounds) in my C6 Corvette for almost 4 years.

San

·
Registered
1,789 Posts

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
I too am going to try the Big Crank ETX30L Battery that irox is getting. They should be back in stock 4/8/13 at batterymart.com but I don't want to wait that long.

I called East Penn mfg located in Winston Salem, NC to check their direct price, which is a good deal higher + shipping. The guy there (shawn, very helpful) indicated this battery is rebranded and also sold at Napa, batteries plus, bass pro, and carquest just to name a few others - where its east penn's battery but different label cross-referenced with ETX30L.

So, I'm going to pay a little bit more but get it locally and today - still way cheaper than many others on market.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I've used a bunch of lightweight batteries and none lasted very long. I ended up just going with a factory sized battery for a Honda Civic HF from any parts store, they are small and light, and usually around $50.

·
Premium Member
2,978 Posts
Can anyone recommend a lightweight battery
for the Esprit.

TIA

Carl
I have the Shorai lithium-iron in the size made for a Gold Wing.

·
Super Moderator
5,454 Posts
How is that working for you? I also considered getting one but ended up getting the Shorai instead.
A friend has had this battery in his car since September and recommended it - mine is in transit and I should have it early next week. Will update once installed.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
The battery is placed where is is and is the size it is partly to balance out the weight of the driver. If shaving a few pounds out of the car is that important to you, you can probably do better by reducing the weight of the driver. Start by emptying your pockets and the boot. Then you can maybe put a little less fuel in. It is 6.5 lbs/gallon.
David Teitelbaum

·
Registered
576 Posts
The battery is placed where is is and is the size it is partly to balance out the weight of the driver. If shaving a few pounds out of the car is that important to you, you can probably do better by reducing the weight of the driver. Start by emptying your pockets and the boot. Then you can maybe put a little less fuel in. It is 6.5 lbs/gallon.
David Teitelbaum
There was a dude named Colin Chapman.......
Lightweight absolutely matters, and saving 30-40 lbs is huge.
Your point on balance is well taken. In my car I changed to a smaller aluminum fuel tank on the left and eliminated the filler. I also drive without my spare and jack.
So I think I am close to the original balance. I am also guessing that the right hand drive cars have their batteries on the right.

I would suggest that if Colin Chapman had had more input into the Esprit design that he would have made the car lighter. There were no readily available smaller batteries when the Esprit was designed that had adequate capacity.

Randy

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
I suggest you keep the spare in the car (front trunk). Part of it's use is to absorb crash energy in the event of a front end collision. If you take the car on the track then you could remove the tire just for that but you still have to realize you are increasing your risk of personal damage if you do have a frontal impact. There is a difference between what CC was trying to do on the track and what you should do driving on the street. Some of the things you need on the street you would never use on a track car. A big battery is one. More fuel than you need to last for the track is another. Yes, the left hand drivers do have the battery in the rear trunk all the way to the rear on the right side.
David Teitelbaum

·
Super Moderator
5,454 Posts
How is that working for you? I also considered getting one but ended up getting the Shorai instead.
I've had it in for two weeks now and delighted :)

Has given me more room in the boot!!

Photos show the two batteries side by side, the EVO2 sitting on the factory mounting plate to show direct size comparison, and finally the battery installed on its side (can be mounted any way). It is attached with velcro and is immoveable :cool:

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts