The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure you've heard of the DynaBatt. It is a 13.5lb battery that they charge $130 for. But I found out that it is just a rebadged Hawker Gensis 16AH SLA Battery which you can get for $69.95.

If you are interested here is the link:

http://www.gotbatteries.com/

Funny I had to go to the DynaBatt Site for a mounting bracket and it cost almost as much as the Hawker Battery but will enable me to mount the battery just about anywhere.

Art

·
Registered
118 Posts
Will that thing really work? 16Ah ain't going to play your stereo for long.

Is there a CCA rating somewhere?

I was doing some calulations, I can build a 13.2V (what 12V batteries usually measure) 20Ah, 4lb battery for about $120. But I'm not sure it can handle the power draw a starter requires.

Jay W
505/287 Dakota

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Will has a similar battery in his car and SE-R all over the country even in the NE are using it. One guy claimed he left his lights on overnight and it still started the car.

art

·
Registered
118 Posts
Trys_Hard said:
One guy claimed he left his lights on overnight and it still started the car.

art
2 bulbs * 30Watts * 6hrs / 14.4V = 25Amp-hours. (All conservitve #'s)

I believe he is a liar.

Jay W
505/287 Dakota

·
Registered
25 Posts
My dome light drained by battery overnight.

Used normally, you'll never notice the difference using a small battery, especially in our warm climate. The Oddessey battery I have is not a gel cell, it's a starved-cell. It's so well sealed, it's shipped regular UPS, not special UPS for hazardous items like a other types.

{edit} My type of battery can be completely discharged without damaging it and lowering it's capacity, unlike other types.

·
Registered
132 Posts
woodrufj said:

I was doing some calulations, I can build a 13.2V (what 12V batteries usually measure) 20Ah, 4lb battery for about $120. But I'm not sure it can handle the power draw a starter requires.

Jay W
505/287 Dakota

if really desparate, add a $35 sears booster pack and use for racing only....4lbs is pretty darn light.

·
Registered
118 Posts
woodrufj said:

Jay W
505/287 Dakota
OK, how do you make that battery? I can see 7-8 lbs. And you can use D-Cell NiMH batteries to start a car. Friends with Prius' say you can use the back-up battery to start the car. Of course, they're wired in series. All 240 of them. I think you can also start the Insight with it's D-cells. Only 120 in that car.:)

As Will said, the 16Ah rating seems low, but you can safely use ALL of it, where conventional lead-acid batteries lose capacity if drained more than 50%. So, figure it's like a 32Ah battery.

The CCA for that battery is 360. http://www.odysseybatteries.com/tech.htm

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
Do you folks think there is a market for a custom mounting solution for a Hawker Genesis G13EP (same as PC545) battery? I co-designed a box for the MR2 Spyder that fits these batteries perfectly. This battery weighs 11 lbs and saves 17 lbs compared to stock Spyder battery... the best weight reduction I know of for the dollar.

I have not heard of anyone having starting problems with it, but they say not to sit with the lights on and car not running for 2 hours, as that will drain it. The "13" is for 13AH.

A guy I know improved upon my design and is selling them. I'm sure he could make anything you guys want, as he owns/runs a machine shop. If interested, post here, please.

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
>>>Do you folks think there is a market for a custom mounting solution for a Hawker Genesis G13EP (same as PC545) battery?<<<

No.

The 13-14 pound PC680 can be installed into the existing stock mounts and the SAE lugs on our wires can be removed so that the stock wiring screws right into the Hawker battery. Perry added some foam for the hidden part of the mount to hold the battery better. The stock battery weighs 29.5 pounds plus maybe 1/4-1/2 pound for the SAE lugs not used with the Hawker. You can also leave the SAE lugs on the stock wiring instead of unscrewing them. In that case you get screw-in SAE posts for the Hawker.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts