The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My partner has a Superformance AC Cobra, and invited me to bring my car to Virginia International Raceway Memorial day weekend for a track event. It was interesting running my little 4 cylinder roller skate against a field of fire breathing big block 8 cylinders, Porsches, Vipers, Vettes, a couple Nascar racers, and even a lonesome old Lotus 7.

The GT 40s are the sexiest cars on the road IMHO when you see them in person. The red Cobra Coupe was the fastest car in the track, hitting 170 on a moderate straight.

That my pard in the blue number 46. He was the fastest non coupe Cobra in the field of over 40. There were 77 cars altogether.

My supercharged Elise held it's own reasonably well considering the difference in horsepower. I'm a rookie, and the first day I was in the D run group with the other beginners. I was passing a lot of cars, so I moved to the B group and, rightfully so, got my ass handed to me on the first run. But I rode with two different instructors who were very helpful, and by the end of the day I was staying in the middle of the pack, passing a few and being passed by a few. I'll take that considering the company I was in.

xeeeejme and his lovely girlfriend joined us at the event on the first day in his Chrome Orange Exige, and I think he had a good time as well.

I should mention at this point how very valuable the Lotus Performance Driving School I attended last year was with shrinking the learning curve on my first real track event. I felt comfortable on the track almost right away, and the training was spot on and invaluable to a beginner. Also, the weekend before the event I had my dealer do the heel toe adjustment to the pedals, which is described in the Lotus Service Manual. It made a HUGE difference and I was heel-toeing like a champ by the end of the meet.

One last thing, the Cobra guys were a great bunch of folks to hang out with. Although our cars and theirs are totally different, the idea of keeping a solid design current, simplicity, and performance through both power and weight are benchmarks of the Cobra community as well. I had a blast, and I'd do it again in a heartbeat, although I do have the desire now to attend a Lotus track event where I'm not trying to chase down a car with 700 HP on the straights :)

This photo courtesy Brad's friend Ginger.

Finally, here's a little video of my partner and his very fast Cobra, and a drag between the Alpha Dog red coupe and another, slight slower car :)

http://www.azurerealm.com/albums/album01/Cobra.mov

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Great pics!

I envy you very much!

·
Registered
336 Posts
That is the Big Dog I was describing, a Cobra Coupe owned by Superformance importer Dennis Olthoff of Olthoff Racing.

Very fast. Very loud. :D
Dennis ran the One lap of America in that car. It has a custom small block engine making almost 700hp.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Yes, it is a Brock Coupe built by Superformance. To elaborate further, Peter Brock was the designer of the original Daytona Coupe for Carroll Shelby. It was built on an identical frame as the Cobra roadster. It was designed to remedy the limitations of the aerodynamically-challenged roadster (appropriately characterized as "brick-like"), which wasn't capable of the speeds necessary to be competitive with Ferrari on the Mulsanne Straight of LeMans (before installation of the chicane).

Only 5 original Daytonas were built, and they were never fully developed because Ford decided to put all its resources behind the GT-40. That was obviously a wise decision since various versions of it went on to win 4 straight 24 Hour races between 1966 and 1969.

Peter Brock is alive and well today, and he designed a slightly updated version for Superformance of South Africa, which is the car in the photo. The modern versions are very formidable machines, with all the creature comforts, including a/c. It must be purchased as a rolling chassis, and you install your own engine to meet U.S. DOT rules.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Mike,

You conveniently left out the part where you pummeled me in our drag race. Luckily, that wasn't captured on video!

Adam

·
Registered
76 Posts
Nice!!!

Thanks for that!

I frequent the Clubcobra web site as well. To me, there are a handfull of cars that just naturally fall into the same group if you just love cars...

Lotus proper, Caterham (and their Seven bretheren) and Cobra and the classic ford family (Daytona, GT40).

All easy to drool over. And all will be mine!!! Oh yes, they will be mine!!! :rolleyes: ehem...

For those interested, the two sites that are great for Snake lovers are:
427 Cobra Country--Ford AC Cobra replica manufacturers SUPER-SITE
Club Cobra - Welcome to Club Cobra...The world's largest non-biased Cobra site!

The guys on the forum there are just like here. Good guys with tons of knowledge and passion.

I have been learning about the Cobra replica industry and what companies are worth looking into.

Good stuff!

For those with the time and interest, there is a gathering in Hope Well, PA for Cobra lovers this Satuday that I am trying desperately to attend.

-Matt

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
A good friend of mine just finished building his 450hp cobra. He thinks it should weigh in around 2100lbs.

We were wondering how my exige S would hold up to him on the track.

You think we have a chance?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts