The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I went ahead and ordered the Lilliput rearview camera/monitor form case-mod.com. "Apparently" the unit was in stock so I opted to pay a few bucks extra to go with the FedEx one day service. It had to come from San Jose Ca to Berkeley,Ca, about a 40 minute drive on a good day.
I e-mailed case-mod to ask about when it would ship and only got a generic response and an invoice pdf.
A WEEK later when I realized that they had ordered the part themselves and never really had anything stock at all, I fired off another e-mail. This time I was a bit pissed and asked if they treated all of their customers in this manner, E-mail contact only and never a normal/curteous word just to let me know that it had to be ordered so it would take a bit longer than expected.
I received another generic e-mail saying that the part had shipped. I finally sent a nasty e-mail telling them that after being treated in this manner I would never darken their internet dood again.
Yesterday a week and a half after placing the order it finally arrived.

The monitor(looks like a rearview mirror)is HUGE, approx 9"X4". If they had posted dimensions of the monitor on their website I would have never sent the $200 required.
I will likley play with this POS to see how feasable it is to use for a rearview camera. I can't believe how huge it is:eek:.. I suppose I could mount it to the dash but it looks pretty stupid...
It comes packaged as a TV monitor and has a camera in a separate box(sort of an afterthought apparently). Totally mis-represented as a compete unit. Probably explains why the Case-Mod web site had very little technical detail on the package.. Next time I will work directly with Chasecam(Randy) or a local video shop only. Every time I order something over the internet I seem to get screwed...

Attachments

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
I should send you better sized LCDs to play with. If I was not so busy, I would have.

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I should send you better sized LCDs to play with. If I was not so busy, I would have.
Yeah, this thing is a monster. I will play with it and see how good the supplied camera is as far as field of view. If it is a fish eye I can't even use it at all. The picture shown tends to indicate that it will work fine but so far these guys are horrible when it comes to any sort of customer service/awareness. I will probably end up tossing the entire mess.
I can take some shots of the connectors and maybe you can send me a much smaller screen if the camera is OK. I had hoped to mount it to the roll cage up where a rearview would go but this danm thing would block most of my forward visionrotfl :wallbang: It's what I get for being impatient and purchasing something that I know nothing about...DOH!:shrug:
I sure hope you can find the time to set something up for me... I really want two cameras, one for backing and one for spotting the PO. Can it be setup so you can switch from one to the other on the fly??

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Yes.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I went ahead and ordered the Lilliput rearview camera/monitor form case-mod.com. "Apparently" the unit was in stock so I opted to pay a few bucks extra to go with the FedEx one day service. It had to come from San Jose Ca to Berkeley,Ca, about a 40 minute drive on a good day.
I e-mailed case-mod to ask about when it would ship and only got a generic response and an invoice pdf.
A WEEK later when I realized that they had ordered the part themselves and never really had anything stock at all, I fired off another e-mail. This time I was a bit pissed and asked if they treated all of their customers in this manner, E-mail contact only and never a normal/curteous word just to let me know that it had to be ordered so it would take a bit longer than expected.
I received another generic e-mail saying that the part had shipped. I finally sent a nasty e-mail telling them that after being treated in this manner I would never darken their internet dood again.
Yesterday a week and a half after placing the order it finally arrived.

The monitor(looks like a rearview mirror)is HUGE, approx 9"X4". If they had posted dimensions of the monitor on their website I would have never sent the $200 required.
I will likley play with this POS to see how feasable it is to use for a rearview camera. I can't believe how huge it is:eek:.. I suppose I could mount it to the dash but it looks pretty stupid...
It comes packaged as a TV monitor and has a camera in a separate box(sort of an afterthought apparently). Totally mis-represented as a compete unit. Probably explains why the Case-Mod web site had very little technical detail on the package.. Next time I will work directly with Chasecam(Randy) or a local video shop only. Every time I order something over the internet I seem to get screwed...

this is one of those cases where you really get what you pay for.... I recently designed the backup camera system for the new mercedes c class and here is the camera I chose (specifically because of its small size but also because it has excellent low light performance.). As far as the the LCD you can order 2.5" LCD's that will fit inside the factory mirror housing... you get the mirror face half-silvered and the image appears in the mirror whn you shift into reverse.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You are correct. I knew that I was ordering something just to play with. I confirmed my opinion of lack of customer service with most internet sales sites. Especially electronics.
I had told Randy that I want to do a custom setup and he was going to try to find the time to come up with something. This was stop gap at best just so I wouldn't get a ticket on my way to work until I could install the right stuff.. @Chase Cam....:up:

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
You are correct. I knew that I was ordering something just to play with. I confirmed my opinion of lack of customer service with most internet sales sites. Especially electronics.
I had told Randy that I want to do a custom setup and he was going to try to find the time to come up with something. This was stop gap at best just so I wouldn't get a ticket on my way to work until I could install the right stuff.. @Chase Cam....:up:
when i ordered the chasecam recently I was surprised to find that they had a decided lack of options in the camera area: they had one kind and it was the bullet cam. The chasecam worked great for the client but I had to order the camera from a different distributor. The above pictured cam is 1" cubed and works well where there isnt a flat surface to mount the camera. I also found a nice flush mount camera where you just drill a hole and the camera recesses in.

Attachments

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
We purposely decided against being involved in the crowded rear-view camera market. We do source cameras for customers (not on our site) including rear view, but we do not want to promote that as our business at all. :)

You will see a range of cameras we are putting into development, but probably still not looking at the low-cost rear view market. But we will be using some electronics and sensors that are a bit higher end.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
We purposely decided against being involved in the crowded rear-view camera market. We do source cameras for customers (not on our site) including rear view, but we do not want to promote that as our business at all. :)

You will see a range of cameras we are putting into development, but probably still not looking at the low-cost rear view market. But we will be using some electronics and sensors that are a bit higher end.
you might be a bit misinformed about the rearview cam market.. While there are some cheap crappy cameras out there alot of the cameras I end up using cost just as much as the bulletcam and this is from large volume distributors. Our distributors also sell that exact bulletcam for less than it costs at the chasecam site (of course thats our cost) That wasnt my point.

There are a number of different cameras that can be used with the chasecam PDR and whats best depends on the application. for instance, the last chasecam PDR i bought was for surveillance.. it happens to work very well in that application but I needed a very small pinhole camera. For reverse cameras low light is far more important. If I was doing a racing setup personally I wouldnt use the bulletcam, Im not saying its bad but there are far better cameras out there for recording fast moving video; anything with a larger lens and bigger CCD sensor. The advent of the CCD camera made cameras cheap but it also created alot of mediocre cameras out there. The small 1/3" CCDs that you see in all the smaller cameras today (yes the bullet cam too) use interpolation to 'guess' at some of the pixel values to recreate the 525 lines of resolution. A really nice cam uses a triple sensor with better lensing but of course it makes the cam bigger and more expensive.

For instance I have a client that races porshce, mercedes and lotus here in chicago, here is the camera they use for their recording setup.

http://www.aegis-elec.com/products/sonydxc390.html

which produces beautiful detailed images even at 100 mph. Probably a bit much for most people but is shows that there is definately a range of cameras that the chasecam buyer might want... It doesnt mean that you have to compete on price at all, just options.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
does the iphone have a video input?

·
Registered
2,202 Posts

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
another solution
http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=207383303
The Nextar I4-BC has a 4.3 touchscreen and a built-in back up camera. The I4-BC is very user-friendly and all a user has to do is turn it on, and it figures out exactly where he or she is in a matter of minutes. The menu is also very easy and simple to use. The text-to-speech feature guides the driver along the way and automatically reroutes after a missed turn.

One of the most interesting features of the Nextar I4-BC is the built-in Li-Ion batery/back up camera with 2.4GHz Wireless Technology. This tiny camera syncs wirelessly with the GPS device, and is powered by the brake light. When driver select ?reserve? gear, the back up light will be turned on and turn on the wireless transmitter at the same time. The screen will switch from Navigation screen to Back up Mode, so that every time a driver shifts the car into reverse, he or she sees exactly what the camera sees on the GPS screen.

Features
4.3" touch screen display
Built-in stereo speaker
Sensitive built-in GPS antenna
USB jack/SD(tm) card reader (for MP3 and Photo Viewer)
Built-in Li-Ion batery/back up camera with 2.4GHz Wireless Technology
Includes dash mount AC charger, USB connector and 12V cig adapter

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
another solution
http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=207383303
The Nextar I4-BC has a 4.3 touchscreen and a built-in back up camera. The I4-BC is very user-friendly and all a user has to do is turn it on, and it figures out exactly where he or she is in a matter of minutes. The menu is also very easy and simple to use. The text-to-speech feature guides the driver along the way and automatically reroutes after a missed turn.

One of the most interesting features of the Nextar I4-BC is the built-in Li-Ion batery/back up camera with 2.4GHz Wireless Technology. This tiny camera syncs wirelessly with the GPS device, and is powered by the brake light. When driver select ?reserve? gear, the back up light will be turned on and turn on the wireless transmitter at the same time. The screen will switch from Navigation screen to Back up Mode, so that every time a driver shifts the car into reverse, he or she sees exactly what the camera sees on the GPS screen.

Features
4.3" touch screen display
Built-in stereo speaker
Sensitive built-in GPS antenna
USB jack/SD(tm) card reader (for MP3 and Photo Viewer)
Built-in Li-Ion batery/back up camera with 2.4GHz Wireless Technology
Includes dash mount AC charger, USB connector and 12V cig adapter

I like that one....

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Has anyone used the Nextar I4-BC before?

I was planning on going with a Garmin 5000 due to it's video input and the quality of the GPS itself. But this would probably end up cheaper and a little smaller footprint.

Also any interference in our cars with the 2.4GHz cameras?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts