The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
August 31 – September 3, 2012, Historic Festival 30 & Sunday in the Park Concours

On Labor Day weekend, Lime Rock Park puts on great vintage car races and show. The Historical Festival includes vintage races on Saturday and Monday, with a super cool car show on Sunday. If anyone wants to join us, we are camping and plan on putting out a spread Saturday afternoon. I have reserved an RV site (just need to convince the gate that my trailer is really an RV in disguise) overlooking the back straight. We will be in RV space 11.

Karl Johnson
[email protected]

There is a Lotus specific Car Corral on Saturday for parking with other Lotus owners. There is camping if you want to stay over and enjoy the festivities in style!

The Sunday show also includes the “Gathering of the Marques,” which is literally hundreds of cars lining the rest of the track, grouped by make, model or country of origin. You’ll see huge displays of Shelbys and BMWs and Corvettes and Jaguars and MGs! Astons, Rolls and Lotuses (and perhaps an Orange Caterham)! Porsches, Peugeots and Panteras! Volvos and Saabs, Minis, Mercurys, Mercedes and Mopars! Ferraris, Fiats and Lambos!

If you’re interested in joining the Gathering of the Marques display, simply arrive Sunday morning, September 2, with your Sunday Admission Ticket (purchased in advance or at the gate) and you will be directed to park with the appropriate group.

This year's Honored Guest will be Sir Stirling Moss... No other venue in the U.S. has three days of on-track racing sandwiching a prestigious concours event – all on the same property. Since 1983, the East Coast’s premier vintage racing event has been the Historic Festival and its companion “Sunday in the Park Concours” (Sept. 2). With its famous free paddock access for all fans, Historic Festival 30 will be a feast for the senses: More than 300 vintage race cars will fill the grounds, Sir Stirling will be here for you to visit with, the Swap Meet in the Sunoco B Paddock will be packed, the Midway is always alive with activities – and the racing on the track is non-stop from 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. on Saturday and Monday. Also, there will be a very exciting Formula 1 Race Group on Saturday and Monday, thanks to Historic Grand Prix (HGP), the finest vintage racing organization for 1966 - 1983 F1 machinery. Historic Festival 30... There’s nothing like it anywhere else.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I just found out about this on a lotus yahoo group and would like to get more information. What is the idea behind the "coral"? If I can only come for one day should I come on Saturday (for the coral) or Sunday?

Rob
93 Esprit

·
Registered
708 Posts
For the Corral, you basically get to park with other Lotus cars as a group. Last year, there was a track drive, which can be fun if you've never been on the track. It is rather crowded and slow. Last year was one of the first times I had ever been to Lime Rock without climbing in and out of student's cars all day. Saturday, you'll see racing and can, of course view all the cool corral cars from Lotus and everyone else plus the race cars and others in the pits and everything else that shows up randomly in the parking lot. Sunday, no racing and car show only, if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
311 Posts
We went last year. It was hot, but lots of fun. Sounds like this year, not everyone gets to go out on track "only the first 50 to arrive". That would suck as the family loved the laps on Lime Rock. My four year old stills talks about it. The Lotus drivers gave each other room last year so were able to get almost up to speed in some spots.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Lime Rock Park Historic Festival 30 - Lotus Corral Discount

We're just starting up the new NY/NJ/CT chapter of Lotus Ltd., aka Tri-State Loti (website under development at Tri-State Loti), and have partnered with Lime Rock for a registration discount on the Lotus Corral. Tickets are available at http://tickets.limerock.com/orderticketsarea.asp?p=533&a=2&backurl=/eventperformances.asp?evt=13&SearchMonth=&monthsubmit=&SearchText=&Go.x=&Go.y=&pg=&spg=1&c= and you can get the discount by entering code "LOTI2012".

Here's a video walkthrough of last year's Lotus Corral:

As mentioned above, if there are enough registrants, there will be Lotus parade laps again.

Here's a layout map for the Sunday in the Park--Lotus will be on The Lefthander:

Forgot to mention, registration for the overall event is at http://tickets.limerock.com/eventperformances.asp?evt=4 and Sunday in the Park tickets are available at http://tickets.limerock.com/orderticketsarea.asp?p=451&a=2&backurl=/eventperformances.asp?evt=4&SearchMonth=&monthsubmit=&SearchText=&Go.x=&Go.y=&pg=&spg=1&c=

·
Registered
337 Posts
I'm coming from R.I., can we meet along the way?

Thank you very much for the invite to stop by Karl.

Who here from MA is headed down?
I'm coming from the southeast of LRP but maybe we can meet along the route? (See my route).

Attachments

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
I'm coming from the southeast of LRP but maybe we can meet along the route? (See my route).
Hi Noel,
I live in western MA one hour north of LRP so I go down US Route 7 to Canaan over to Lime Rock. Also as the traffic to the infield gets backed up I try and get there before 9 am plus I can pick a choice spot sitting on the hill overlooking Big Bend.

Since your ride from RI is three hours are you staying over in the area or nearby?

Cheers,
Robert

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This is definately an event worth attending. Sterling Moss will be speaking in a session on Saturday at 6:00 PM. I'm not sure if they have any tickets ($25) left, but if you are interested, just call the ticket office at Lime Rock.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I don't mind the drive

Hi Noel,
I live in western MA one hour north of LRP so I go down US Route 7 to Canaan over to Lime Rock. Also as the traffic to the infield gets backed up I try and get there before 9 am plus I can pick a choice spot sitting on the hill overlooking Big Bend.

Since your ride from RI is three hours are you staying over in the area or nearby?

Cheers,
Robert
I've been doing this drive for 3 years now and don't really mind the trip. Biggest drag is the highway mileage on I-95. I do get there pretty early to avoid the infield traffic.

CU there. Noel

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've been on the track plenty of times at Lime Rock, but a 2010 Caterham does not qualify in any of the race classes, I wish I did but the car is too new. They tell me that I am in for the show though.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
I understand the 'Time Line', I didn't know what year your Seven was. My friend from CT. has the sickest Seven you would ever see and I hope he brings it for the festival. It has a Honda S2000 motor and it's 'Super Charged'!

I applied for the Rhienbeck Show years ago when the cut off date was '84 and my car is an '87. They said 'your cars are the same... we'll put you through.'

Hope to cross paths as it's a big place. I'll PM you my mobile #.

Cheers,
Robert

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
This just in...

For those around the Hartford, Conn. area Tuesday August 28th

Lime Rock Park is kicking off the Vintage Weekend at The Russian Lady
191 Ann Uccello Street

5:30 to 7pm Happy Hour
Jazz on the rooftop starts at 7

On display in the street will be Mario's 1978 Lotus Type 79 along with Williams FW08, other iconic historic F1 cars and racing personalities.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Lotus Corral

I just found this.

August 31 - September 3
Lime Rock Park
Historic Festival 30 & Sunday in the Park Concourse

There will be a Lotus Corral as part of the event and Tri-State Loti has partnered with Lime Rock Park to offer ​members a registration discount. Please click here for tickets and use discount code "LOTI2012". If a sufficient number of us register then we will take parade laps on the track.

Events — Tri-State Loti

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I spent all detailing my car for the Sunday in the Park Concours. I'm in Class 25 (whatever that is). I found rubber marbles in all kinds of places, it has never looked so good. I hope the judges like it as much as I do.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Are fakes welcome at the corral?

I am interested in attending on Saturday in an old Westfield Eleven, and am curious how the group feels about replicas. Yes, I realize it's not nothing Lotus as it's an Austin Sprite under the tube frame, aluminum and GRP. It does have a Lotus badge...

Anyway, I normally would be in the Jaguar corral with an XK roadster, but thought it might be fun to get to know more Lotus folks. If it makes any difference, I'm looking for a pristine or restored Europa, and I'd by a scruffy Eleven or 23B in heart beat if the price were at the low end of the common valuations for these cars.

John

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
If you want, I can speak with our chapter's Lime Rock rep about putting your Westfield in the Lotus Corral. Just let me know.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts