The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I'm taking the Elise for my first time driving on track (at Lime Rock).

Excuse the dumb newb track question: just wondering how do you know how fast its Ok to take the corners?

What happens after 10/10ths, is it a gradual slipping that is controlable or do you just skid right off?

(I'll be running on AD07 tyres)

Any Elise specifc advice for Lime Rock welcome...

·
Registered
740 Posts
Youll have an instructor wholl teach you
Have fun !!

·
Registered
446 Posts
Excuse the dumb newb track question: just wondering how do you know how fast its Ok to take the corners?
That's not a dumb question for a beginner, and there really are no dumb questions at that point. The first time I did Lime Rock I had someone with lots of experience on that track (Mark Starr) take me for a few laps just to get a feel for how the track flowed... it's always different in the car than watching it on TV. Even though I've been doing track events for years, I find that doing this at tracks that are brand new to me helps me get up to speed much faster. You can ask your instructor to "do a few laps to show you the line", and he'll likely oblige. Have fun!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice and PM'd videos I recieved.

I had two instructor driven hot laps in a Miata at Skip Barbers Lime Rock open day the other week and
was very surpised at how hard they cornered: of course they were showboating a bit with drifting and chewing up their tires :)

So I guess the instructors gradually take the students to the edge of the envelope over the course of several (or many) sessions
and the student learns to corner by the seat of the pants (I mean that in a good way).

Looks like rain tomorrow so I guess I'll get an even better learning experience.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Looks like rain tomorrow so I guess I'll get an even better learning experience.
That's the spirit!!! LRP is a blast in the rain in my opinion - until you have taken West Bend "drifter style" (about 45 degrees of slip) in the rain you haven't enjoyed all that the place has to offer! :panic: I nearly scared the crap out of the EMRA officals (parked in the timing truck on the inside run off of West Bend) who thought I was coming back across... but I just kept in it, held the line with countersteer and took the class win that day.

p.s. Sweet First Lord of the Admiralty avatar.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's the spirit!!! LRP is a blast in the rain ...
I said that before I found out we have to drive with the windows open all the time LOL :). Only had a few drops of rain on my last session of the day.

This track driving can get addictive and the Lotus was such a blast to drive on the track. Maybe I'll have to go Watkins Glen next week ...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts