The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As we know currently the ELISE is not available with a limited slip for those of us that are dedicated AUTOCROSSERS that are looking for every tenth of second we can find.

All hope is not lost. We are currently emailing letters to the Engineers requesting to make this an option on the 2005 model year car...Thus making it legal to back date the first round of cars that comes over but we need EVERYONES help.

Please by replies to this thread.....If a LIMITED SLIP was an option that you could order from the factory WOULD YOU ORDER IT.

When Lotus sees the response they will back the Enthusiast in all of us.

After all that is what they are all about.

Thanks for your help,
Pat

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
I would not buy it.

It has already been posted that Lotus tested all sorts of LSD setups and could not find a way to make it improve the handling of the car.

In fact they said it made it handle worst.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Keep talking, Im listening. Depending on price I'd order it. But I'd like to know what sort, 1.5 or 2 way.

For those who are quoting the "Lotus said it handles worse" keep in mind that was on a track, not autocross, and Im curious what sort of LSD they used as they didnt say...and it makes a big difference.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Oddly, the Sport Elise (european version) has a limited slip differential, which undermines the position that the car would handle worse with limited slip- this is the car with all kinds of racing tidbits, like a fireproof engine bulkhead, Stack data logging instrumentation, etc. If one assumes that the Elise Sport is "best of breed" for track performance and has a limited slip, it's logical to assume that limited slip provided an advantage or they wouldn't have added it.

In this specific case, it's a Quaife torque biasing differential.

See: http://194.217.236.116/lotus/main.htm

click on "technical news" on the left hand side.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
I would order it. If it becomes available after I get my car, it won't affect me much anymore. I'll probably end up running SP anyway, which allows me to add an aftermarket LSD. But I would still like to see Pat (or anybody else) put the hurt on the Vettes in SS driving an Elise. ;)

·
Registered
107 Posts
I would get it if...

1. It was a factory-installed option (per SCCA rules, like elise77 said).

2. It was a torsen-type LSD. I _have_ read that clutch-type diffs can have a negative impact on handling. IMHO, clutch-type diffs are only needed when you're lifting a wheel. I don't think we're going to be lifting a wheel completely off of the ground, so a torsen/quaife should be fine. These supposedly have less of an impact on high speed handling.

Like elise77 said, if such an option is ever offered, I would really hope to see it on the FIRST model year of production so that earlier first-year cars could install it and stay within SCCA stock rule set. Even if it's only offered in the last month of the model year, I think that would be enough. Nothing would bum out the early-adopter Elise autocrosser more than to have the next model year come with LSD from the factory.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I am all for the LSD. Torsen would be nice, but I trust the Lotus engineers to put the best unit for the car in.

As stated, it would need to be a factory option, and I would backdate my car to make it legal. I plan on running stock class, so this is an important issue for us stock class guys.

Steve

Waiting Impatiently......#53 @ Criswell

·
Registered
291 Posts
I'd get a torsen/quaife from the factory for sure.

If tire size issues force the elise out of a stock class, Id get it aftermarket too.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Lotus can sell out their complete production line without offering LSD.

Personally, I'd rather see them spend their development dollars in other ways.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Count me in for the LSD. I think I have said that before back in high school.:cool:

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
rob said:
Lotus can sell out their complete production line without offering LSD.

Personally, I'd rather see them spend their development dollars in other ways.
Lotus does not have to do any developement. the diff exists in both a torsen and a clutch type already for the Toyota....All they need to do is offer it as an option and make it available to order.

·
Registered
409 Posts
elise77 said:
Lotus does not have to do any developement. the diff exists in both a torsen and a clutch type already for the Toyota....All they need to do is offer it as an option and make it available to order.
You make it sound so simple, but it's not that simple. It's worth pursuing, but it would probably be a model year change, the next of which will be 2006.

- Lotus did full development on the engine and transmission. Parts were indeed modified for Lotus and power output is indeed greater.
- Even a new tire option goes through all-weather testing.
- Lotus has to have permission from Toyota to put Toyota's parts in cars bearing the Lotus name.
- Lotus has to get permission from Proton in Malaysia to put more Toyota content in their Elise, and this requires a trip to Malaysia.
- Even if the part is available, a full shipment is needed at the Lotus factory. For all we know, they have enough parts to build a year's cars already (and yes, this is similar to the way they operate!)

Lotus is not GM - they do not have infinite resources. Instead, they have a few teams of engineers working on a number of projects. Few of these projects have to do with the Elise or even the next-gen Elise. To accomplish the above, they would have to pull somebody off of a revenue-generating consulting contract merely to see how well LSD works and perform the project management to make it happen.

If "Lotus said it handles worse," then they did try it. For Lotus, trying means putting the parts on, seeing how it does, tuning the suspension based on more suspension experience than anybody else out there, trying again, and letting an engineer take it home for the weekend. If the parts are available, rest assured that they have been tried, and if it is just a simple matter of making the option available, then it would be available.

Like I said, I'd rather see my development dollars go elsewhere, but if it is on a laundry list of items for next year's model (2006 I guess), go for it!

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
can't see the R&D dollars being spent on something that apparently has limited use in street applications. It'd probably be better to approach Lotus Motorsports about a kit available after purchase.

Besides, I think it's all they can do to get the car here, the longer the wishlist for the first years production the harder it'd be to get the car done in a timely manner.
Chris

·
Registered
77 Posts
Yes- if lotus offered LSD, specifically
a Quaife or Gleason Torsen, I'd
order it for my Elise.

danw

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
Regarding worm/roller LSD (Torsen or Quaife). The pitch angle on the gears make a huge difference in the way the diff responds. Given the weight difference between a Celica & the Elise one might imagine that a Torsen/Quaife designed for the Toyotas might have too much locking action for the Elise. Thus one could argue the Elise will need a different gear pitch (thus development).

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
I like the idea of having an LSD. That said, I've never driven a car that was so light, so I have no idea how it will handle without one.

That said, if one were offered now as an option, I'd order it - assuming that it, in fact, did not negatively effect performance.

·
Registered
19 Posts
To answer the question - Yes I would buy the car with limited slip (in fact I thought I was buying a car with limited slip) :( .

After seeing the difference between a quicker/lighter MR2 with no limited Slip verse a slower/heavier 99Miata w/ Limited slip - I now question if the Elise is still for me.

I'm No. 2 on the list and have to figure this variable out quickly!!

So, if you gas the car in a turn, will the inside wheel spin?? If you race in the rain, and do the same thing - will the car accelerate with 1/2 the grip?

oh no.. someone tell me what i'm missing ...
Hmm, i need to think about this much more now.
:confused:

1 - 20 of 136 Posts