The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know, I know, there are a lot of these types of posts already on LT but honestly, I don't feel like spending 8 hours sifting through 3000 posts that may have mentioned the word "multivex" or "carbon fiber"...if you don't want to help me out, don't, but please refrain from feeling the need to be a wise ass and call me a forum newbie for not doing a search because that is not the case.:evil:

Now on to my question. So I am getting my elise next week and I want to have a few mods ready and waiting. I just wanted to get a sense of the importance of them so i can make sure I order the right ones first.

Here is a list of the ones I plan on ordering right away:
1. HID's from Dabears: Safety for viewing at night. Good price.
2. BWR Unikey: Question - you have to select either "Early style lighted key" or "late style non lighted". My car is an 06 elise, so can someone tell me which one it is?
3. Micro-mirror: Not sure which one to get - The actual "micromirror", the Zoom CF Mirror (i like the look), or the one that Tesprit sells?
4. Multivex Mirrors: Can't figure out what these are or where to get them. Please advise.
5. Louder Horn: Any suggestions?
6. Braille/Odyssey Battery: I will only be driving this once a week, so not sure the Braille will work for me. Can someone suggest where to get a battery trickler?
7. Can of fix-a-flat: Any brand? Where to get?
8. Shift Kit: Is the Sector 111 mod equal to replacing it with a full shift kit?

Besides that, I would love to do the following:

1. Larani SE exhaust- for the look and sound
2. Intake - for the sound
3. CF center console, binnacle, and other bits - Anyone other than Sector 111 sell this stuff? Better price perhaps?
4. Powdercoat my LSS wheels black
5. Replace all plastic grills with Mesh - Still not sure where/what is the best/most affordable way to do this.
6. Sport ECU: Any recommendations on the best one?

I think that wraps it up. Any help on the mentioned above would be a great help.:clap:

·
Registered
136 Posts
2. BWR Unikey: Question - you have to select either "Early style lighted key" or "late style non lighted". My car is an 06 elise, so can someone tell me which one it is?
I have a 2006 Elise, and recently got one, and ordered the "late style non-lighted" — since I didn't see any lights on my key.

Later, I discovered that the alarm fob has a light on it, which is possibly what they were referring to. I can't see the light when the battery runs out on my key now, which is unfortunate — but not enough of a hassle that I can be bothered to return it.

I would ask BWR or get confirmation from others on the forum that my suspicion is correct before ordering. BWR has been great to deal with, and accepted my returns without any hassle.

I returned the black wheel badges since the typeface doesn't match the main logo, and that would bother me ;)

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
The light does refer to the key, not the fob. They changed the keys.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Aha, then I did get the right key after all. Interesting that they didn't leave a hole for the little indicator light, then.

Thanks for the clarification!

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Aha, then I did get the right key after all. Interesting that they didn't leave a hole for the little indicator light, then.

Thanks for the clarification!
Some people drilled a small hole for the light to shine thru.

·
Registered
136 Posts

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
I know, I know, there are a lot of these types of posts already on LT but honestly, I don't feel like spending 8 hours sifting through 3000 posts that may have mentioned the word "multivex" or "carbon fiber"...if you don't want to help me out, don't, but please refrain from feeling the need to be a wise ass and call me a forum newbie for not doing a search because that is not the case.:evil:

5. Replace all plastic grills with Mesh - Still not sure where/what is the best/most affordable way to do this.

I think that wraps it up. Any help on the mentioned above would be a great help.:clap:
I got the mesh kits from Elise USA. Heavier than the plastic, so if you're saving grams keep the plastic or find other mesh.

The grill and side grills have a much different fit than the plastic, or Exige mesh. See the pic below (I hadn't installed the radiator mesh when I took this pic, it's in now). The mesh pieces come out flush with the front of the car, not recessed like the Exige mesh or plastic. You may or may not like it.

Means you can't cosmetically install the folding tow hook (which you didn't say anything about anyway), but in case you need to use the hook, the mesh grill pops right out easily enough.

Not cheap. Not cheap at all. But well made and look good.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
First mod should be a supercharger. Do a search with Katana.

·
Registered
172 Posts
KingJester - I just got my car a month ago and enjoying every minute of it.
My advise to you is enjoy the car. Drive it and have fun with it first then mod the car as you go along.
I installed HID , LED pilot light and cabin light, painted my center console and engine covers. Just received the 1/4 turn undertray bolts.
They will be tons of stuff to do and that will get you busy for a long time. Don't forget you will get missing screws from all the sprited drive.

Just a 2 cents. Have fun.

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
Here is a list of the ones I plan on ordering right away:
You want the non light up version, I have it and like it especially compared to the stock key/fob
3. Micro-mirror: Not sure which one to get - The actual "micromirror", the Zoom CF Mirror (i like the look), or the one that Tesprit sells?
Very happy with the micro mirror but I have not sat in a car with the zoom one
4. Multivex Mirrors: Can't figure out what these are or where to get them. Please advise.
They are convex mirrors that stick over your stock mirrors to give you a more broad view out of your mirrors to see the blindspots. I would recommend the multivex or the craftsquare carbon mirrors, I have the craftsquare and love them.
6. Braille/Odyssey Battery: I will only be driving this once a week, so not sure the Braille will work for me. Can someone suggest where to get a battery trickler?
Why not just leave the stock one in there? I have had zero issues with the stock battery and I've never had to worry about a battery tender even letting the car sit for long periods of time
8. Shift Kit: Is the Sector 111 mod equal to replacing it with a full shift kit?
Also do the sands museum/Stans mod and add the spacer, it really helps tighten up the center console
Besides that, I would love to do the following:

6. Sport ECU: Any recommendations on the best one?
The lotus Sport ECU is great, it really smoothes out the low and midrange and makes the car much nice to driver when cruising around.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
First, welcome. Hope you enjoy the car. :clap:

As far grill replacement with mesh goes, here is the link to my thread on how to install mesh. Not hard or expensive to do, just takes some time. Hope this helps.

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f92/winter-project-1-engine-lid-grill-mesh-51979/

Regards,
Wayne
Wayne,

Is double sided foam tape used to hold the original plastic slats in (along with the small prongs on the sides)?

If so, did you repaint the lid, or what did you use to remove the tape and residue without damaging the paint?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
multivex. you'll regret never getting them.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
Pull the alarm remote antenna out of the wire bundle in the dash to increase the range of the remote from about 3' to 30' - 50'. There are several opinions about how to best do this. Many added extra length to the wire. I didn't find it necessary and just pulled the antenna wire out of the harness and pointed it up towards the windshield. A 10-minute mod that does wonders for your frustration level.

Here is a thread that deals with all of it. If you have the Touring package, pay particular attention to the comments about the sharp edges you may encounter.

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f129/increase-range-your-remote-17002/

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank you for all the great feedback.

I in no doubt will enjoy the car, but the top of list mods I listed are primarily for safety i.e. multivex, smaller mirror, HID's, Air Horn

As for the battery, I have heard talk that the stock one has the potential to lead acid into the trunk. It would be my guess that for a $200 battery that it would cheaper than having to deal with leaking acid.

How hard is the shift mod to do yourself? I saw the instructions on Sands and the threads for it, just wanted to get some idea as to whether or not I can do it or need to get it done professionally.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
also, is there an easier way to do the multivex mirror swap? Can I just purchase them some where? It looks to be a PITA. Correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
I found putting the Multivex on to be simple, not a pain at all. The shift mods should be easy too.

Newer batteries do not seem to leak as easily as the early ones did. Not as much an issue either unless you push the car hard in some corners.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts