The Lotus Cars Community banner

281 - 283 of 283 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
I've only had my 06 less than week but noticed a clunk also, thanks to this fine old thread, I checked the two shock bracket bolts and found them slightly loose. Clunk gone!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I am another victim of the mysterious steering clunk. I have similar symptoms as others: low speed clunk, happens more as the weather gets warmer, etc, etc. After taking off the wheels, removing the struts, jiggling various control arms and links, checking the torque on various nuts, I think I have isolated the problem. The left arm of my steering rack has an ever-so-slight bit of up-down jiggle (AKA "clunk"). This is consistent with my feeling the little knocks over bumps, but having no significant decrease in steering response. Conclusion: I think my left inner rack joint is worn.

I was bracing to pay for an entirely new rack, but found that Seriously Lotus sells replacement steering rack arms/joints for a fraction of the cost. Their description says that wear on the inner joint is "common" so it may be what others have experienced. I'm going to order the arms and will post an update once installed. Wish me luck!

·
Registered
299 Posts
+1 on releasing the steering column from the dash to reconnect. A person only has so much time upside down in the footwell;}
I know this is the "not the steering rack" thread but just to confirm after 1 year that the new steering rack fixed all clunking and noises. On the track, after heating up, the steering was perfect. I would do this upgrade all day long on cars with +30k miles and any exposure to the track or lots of heat. Just entering into the permanent record👌

281 - 283 of 283 Posts