The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would somebody PLEASE buy this car???

Come on just try to build a competitive CSP or SM for twice that!

I hate when all these competitive cars go buy for a fraction of what I spend on my impossible to make competitive, totally unfinished, rides... Of course, me in this car would still be last place in CSP.... But gesh... Gunnar! Sell the 240SX! Robert! Here is your go kart!

If somebody local buys it, you have plenty of help. It just seems like too much of a natural for somebody in our region to buy this car....

-----------------------------

For Sale:
1976 Mazda RX3-SP
9 Solo II and Pro Solo National Championships,
Currently CSP but would also be great SM car.
Very well developed, lots of extras, fast and reliable
$ 6,800.00
Tom Berry 909-945-9859 or 909-641-1123
or [email protected]

·
Member # 16
180 Posts
That price is 3k lower than what some of you guys said it was a few months ago (I'm guessing that the cost is droping because no one is buying).

The one problem with that car is it's lack of looks. I hate to say it, but looks do matter :D Though having all of the other features help out too.

·
Registered
171 Posts
looks sweet to me!!

But like Bob said, I just don't have $6800, and they will only give me $3500 (on a good day) for the 240 :(

But that is OK, cuz I love my little 240 :)

Just wait till January, when she has a new seat, racing harness and really cool, horse power adding STICKERS!!!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Gunnar said:
looks sweet to me!!

But like Bob said, I just don't have $6800, and they will only give me $3500 (on a good day) for the 240 :(

But that is OK, cuz I love my little 240 :)

Just wait till January, when she has a new seat, racing harness and really cool, horse power adding STICKERS!!!
At least you have a tow vehicle and trailer. That would add to the cost of the car for those without one, since it wouldn't be a very comfortable car to drive to events (although you probably could register it, since it doesn't need to pass smog :) ).

·
Registered
125 Posts
I'd have to say that probably the single biggest reason I autocross is that car. Tom was my instructor at the first novice school I took and I got a TTD ride in the lil' red rollerskate. Was hooked immediately at that point (the CRX just wasn't holding my attention very well) and never looked back.

Did get another ride in it last year. Amazing car. If you haven't gotten a ride in it, you don't know what it's like... If you care more about looks, then I guess you'd just rather go slow... :)

Tom's probably being forced to sell it after buying Guy Ankeny's BSP Vette. Too many nights on the couch and he won't be a good driver anymore... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
58 Posts
I was watching the Best Motoring video over the weekend. This one was on FR (front engine-rear wheel drive) only cars. And they had several older cars in the late 60s and early 70s. I then told Carmen that if we have a place, I'd like to get a RX-3 or a RX-4 and rebuild it myself. I love those cars, but I just don't have the money and space to get one.

:confused: Steve, IIRC the RX-3 came with a 12A motor. Did Tom put a 13B motor in the RX-3?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Steve, IIRC the RX-3 came with a 12A motor. Did Tom put a 13B motor in the RX-3?
It's definitely a 12A. Tom likes that motor and doesn't think a swap would be worth it. I don't know squat about rotaries. I was just taking a stab in the dark.

For SM, you'd have to add quite a bit of weight to get it to 2500lbs. But you could put light weight racing disc brakes on it. The car is incapable of stopping with the brakes which sounds like it makes it a handful to drive.

But it would seem wrong to change the car at all. It is so dialed in as a CSP car. Just provide tons of driving talent and National Wood is yours! And with PRO coming... Maybe some cash....

Here's an idea.... Go halvies and co-drive..... $3400....

·
Member # 16
180 Posts
Larry Andrews said:

Did get another ride in it last year. Amazing car. If you haven't gotten a ride in it, you don't know what it's like... If you care more about looks, then I guess you'd just rather go slow... :)
I know... but Allyson doesn't like the way the car looks and it really wouldn't serve a dual purpose for us. Plus we would have to have a street legal car and have it be a decent enough ride. Our race car has to double (quadruple?) as a snowboard/dog/rally/autocross car.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Actually, it's not REALLY cheap. Only relative to the previous price. If the car didn't have the championship history, it'd be lucky to get more than about 3k, and that's the parts value of the electromotive unit and some other goodies that'll swap onto other cars.

To be honest, if you want to WIN, this is the way to go. But you *will* pay for it in the long run. More of a question of how bad do you want to win... Don't forget that the car is OLD and has been beaten on pretty hard for a long time. (read: will need work to remain competitive)

Oh Chris, sorry if I seemed less than kind with my earlier comments...wasn't trying to be nasty though a re-read sure makes it seem that way. Don't want to make you think that I'm trying to tell you what to do!

Thanks everybody, la

·
Member # 16
180 Posts
Larry Andrews said:
Oh Chris, sorry if I seemed less than kind with my earlier comments...wasn't trying to be nasty though a re-read sure makes it seem that way. Don't want to make you think that I'm trying to tell you what to do!

Thanks everybody, la
Hahahaha, don't worry about it Larry. You're right too. But for now I'm willing to go slow but look good doing it (okay well maybe I can't, but Allyson can). I think the 2600 pound limit for SM is do-able in a S4 sedan (after losing LOTS of the body and interior parts), but I could be wrong.

Larry I think you're right about why the car's cost is so high. Then again in order to build a similar RX-3 that is as capiable... I'm guessing you would spend roughly the same amount and you wouldn't be sure that you had a winning car until you win a title or two.

Steve you could get some money by selling off one of your two cars, then Stacey wouldn't have as much of a reason to kill you. In fact she might feel better because you would at least have a running car, and an autox car at that.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
NONONONONONONONONONO!!!!!!

YOU CAN STRIP DOWN CARS IN SM!!!!!

Please do not confuse the SCCA with local regional classes which have no weight mins.

The Weight mins in SM are not meant to apply very often. They are used in lieu of an exclusion list. It is designed to protect the class from outrageously light rwd and awd cars like the RX3 that you can put a 300hp rotary into. Those cars can run, but they have to weigh 2500 or 2600lbs.

Most other cars will never get near the weight min's.

PLEASE read the SM rules and get help understanding them before you go down the wrong road. Corey Smith said 3350 is about the theoretical lightest he thought an S4 Sedan could go. That is with a lot of expensive tricks.

There is no way in hell you will ever get the avant with a roll cage within 750-800lbs of the weight mins.

Except for the rear seat allowance and the front body panels, there are no SM allowances for weight reduction in excess of the Street Prepared rules!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well the last part I said is not completely true....

The SM rules you allow driveline and suspension swaps and replacements that are beyond SP. You can use the rules to reduce weight as well as improve hp or handling.

I have replaced old heavy cast iron unsprung weight in my cuda with aircraft quality Aluminum pieces... Custom made and fairly expensive and requiring a ton of research and effort and work and trial and error. I have more in development that is being tested on a CP car and Track car.

I've saved substantial weight and like I said most is unsprung weight and more is coming. You can do that too with the S4.... But you can imagine how much more expensive and complicated it will be.....

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I thought about selling Road Runner when the TriPoint BMW came up for sale earlier in the year.

But truth is, I really can't sell that car. The whole reason I got it from my dad, and got at a ridiculously low price was because he didn't want it leaving the family.

The Barracuda is kinda hard to sell in little pieces..... As frustrating and as tempting as it would be to jettison that car....

The RX3 is not a good car for me.... It works off lightweight and I'm not..... Notice Sam Strano doesn't drive Honda's or Mazda's.... But that TriPoint BMW was way cool.... And I fit in it perfectly....

The ESP Camaro Strano won this year in went on sale cheap too this year, that would have been a great car for me.... But I would't be caught dead owning another Camaro....

1 - 20 of 24 Posts