The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While waxing my Elise, I discovered that the Front Grill can easily be removed, by releasing a few clips along the top, pulling the top forward, and pulling the grill's pegs from the holes in the lower opening. The area behind the grill is a large plenum chamber with the top opening going to the bottom of the radiator.

The other grills might have similar detachment capabilities, but it was too dark under the front of my car in the garage to find out.

The screw on the post in the middle is where the tow eye (in the tool kit) is screwed into to pull the car up onto the flat bed.

Here's the picture:

Attachments

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
TimMullen said:
While waxing my Elise, I discovered that the Front Grill can easily be removed, by releasing a few clips along the top, pulling the top forward, and pulling the grill's pegs from the holes in the lower opening.
Oh great, now we have to worry about people stealing our Elise grills...

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
People have wondered if there is room to fit a locking gas cap on the Elise. Here's a picture of the gas cap, and the door opened (think a locking cap will fit in here?):

Attachments

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
pinmagic said:
That's one big photo!
Sorry about that. I have figured out how to reduce the file size with the jpg compression ratio, but I really haven't figured out how to reduce the physical size of the pictures (with the software I have). It's small enough on the screen and the picture editor, but it's big when I post them here. I'll figure it out one of these days...

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
TimMullen said:
Sorry about that. I have figured out how to reduce the file size with the jpg compression ratio, but I really haven't figured out how to reduce the physical size of the pictures (with the software I have). It's small enough on the screen and the picture editor, but it's big when I post them here. I'll figure it out one of these days...
I was wondering what that screw was in the middle of the grille. Now I know.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
I've looked into a locking gas cap, I'm told if you change gas caps it will signal a fault in the engine management or emissions so might be problematic.
Chris

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
One other thing I learned. People stare at the car. And stop to look.

While waiting at the front of the line at a traffic light, one car coming from the right side and turning in the direction I was going almost got rear ended - he almost came to a full stop mid turn. Then he drove up the road and pulled over. Sure enough, as I passed, he pulled out behind me (cutting someone else off), and followed very closely trying to figure out what the car was.

Then we stopped at Wal-Mart so my daughter could drop off some film. I parked out in the boonies, and walked about half way to the door with her, then decided to go back to the car. That's when I found a couple of guys with their beater parked next to my Elise. They were taking pictures with their camera phones. They asked lots of questions and wanted me to do a "burn out" - I declined.

As this was going on, two more guys pulled up, and started taking pictures with their video camera. These two know all about the car, they just wanted to see one in person.

Did I mention that the car draws a lot of attention?

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
It certainly does, takes some getting used to, every time you stop someplace you get lots of questions. A Brit pulled up next to me the other day and was thrilled to hear they were coming to the US and essentially unmodified from euro spec!
CHris

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
zvezdah1 said:
I've looked into a locking gas cap, I'm told if you change gas caps it will signal a fault in the engine management or emissions so might be problematic.
Chris
It is a unique gas cap. It's not a screw on, with the normal threads type. From my quick look at it, it attaches kind of like the bayonet connectors on automotive light bulbs - fit the tabs into the slots, push in and turn (in this case until it clicks). This may be common, but it's different than any I've encountered.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
The attention never ceases, and if I'm in a bad mood I get rather snobby. But mostly I feel priviledged to have a car that is the envy of most everybody, and I talk to them as much as they want. This is the best spent money of my life!

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
TimMullen said:
One other thing I learned. People stare at the car. And stop to look.
They were taking pictures with their camera phones. They asked lots of questions and wanted me to do a "burn out" - I declined.

As this was going on, two more guys pulled up, and started taking pictures with their video camera. These two know all about the car, they just wanted to see one in person.

Did I mention that the car draws a lot of attention?
You mean like this Tim :D

Attachments

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
The car gets some unwanted attention, people tail gate you to try to read the letters and figure out what it is, people swerve towards you as they gawk, I've been terrified! I haven't got up the courage to leave the car anywhere but my office or home. I've also had lots of people slow down and than speed up to entice me into a drag race. One thing I think is funny is that people really think the Liz is some $ 100,000.00 plus exotic. On one hand I don't want people thinking that it is such an expensive car like the people at my office but on the other I don't want everybody and their brothers to get one either!

·
Registered
442 Posts
Over the weekend I learned that:

camera phones are dangerous and should not be used by people while driving;

depending on the gas pump handle design, the handle will contact the bodywork unless you hold it in place for the duration of refueling;

the trunk will swallow a large duffle, a small duffle, a shoebox and the softtop all at once, if you're patient;

certain people think that the car (a) comes from Italy, (b) costs $150k, (c) weighs 1600 lbs and (d) "looks badass."

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
..And I used it on a closed track. Amazing!

I am driving and leaving it everywhere. I decided not to worry constantly about it. It's too much fun to be a garage queen. As a matter of fact, I may take it to Manhattan soon. I'll tip the valet, and I'm sure everything will be okay. Life is too short not to enjoy what you can. I love my daily driver!!

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Surf, I drive mine daily as well but when I have to go shopping or something I drive all the way back home to get another car just so I won't leave it parked. I think I'm overly cautious since my little accident!:(

·
Registered
712 Posts
TimMullen said:
They asked lots of questions and wanted me to do a "burn out" - I declined.
Awe man! Why did you decline. That's totally what this car was made for. Straight line power. That's why Lotus put in the huge 1.8L NA I4.

What if they asked you to drive in small circles as fast as you could? That seems more like a test for the Elise, or maybe tiny figure 8's :)

1 - 20 of 86 Posts